Custom 4'x6' Expedition Trailer Build

Jcholsted

Hello all,
I figured I would finally do a write up on the trailer I have been building for the past year. Started off as a Senior project and has now turned into an obsession! I'm always adding on so feel free for any suggestions! -Connor

Trailer Build:
4'x6' frame (2"x2" 1/8th" square tubing)
2' sides (2" 1/8" angle; top rail is 1"x2" 1/8" rectangular tubing)
5' tongue (2"x2" 1/8th" square tubing for main rail; 2" 1/4" angle for for support rails)
Axles are ultra-tow 2000lb independent torsion axles
IMG_0011.jpg
IMG_0010.jpg
IMG_0109.jpg
IMG_0349.jpg
IMG_0359.jpg
Tailgate is composed of 2"x2" 1/4" square tubing and 2" 1/4" angle to add weight in the rear and support the weight of the spare tire
Side plates are 16ga steel
IMG_1087.jpg
IMG_1097.jpg
IMG_1111.jpg
IMG_1100.jpg
Floor is plywood
Fenders are from Northern Tool, Jeep style flares
IMG_1174.jpg

-build thread continued-

Jcholsted

Sorry for the upside-down pictures

Paint is a flat black paint/primer with Herculiner inside the tub and on the fenders
IMG_1214.jpg
IMG_1237.jpg

SEREvince

Adventurer
Great looking trailer!

Love the spare tire mount, may have to steal that idea. Those torsion axles are the least expensive option I've seen. I wonder how they perform off road? Looking forward to seeing the rest of your build!

Flyboycoe

Sub'd. I'm looking to build my own 4x6 trailer here in the near future, and I imagine it will look a lot like this. Look forward to seeing your progress.

Jcholsted

Thank you, and once there is some weight in the trailer the axles are flawless. Dry the trailer weighs about 700lbs (150lbs Unsprung weight from tires/wheels) but with all of my gear it sits about 1300lbs. The tailgate is removable to allow me to use the trailer for more than just camping.

Jcholsted

The 2" ball coupler was a temporary piece, it was soon cut off and replaced with receiver tubing. I have a 2" ball that I use for on-road travel, and a 3-axis coupler for any off-road use. I will post pics of the coupler setup in a few days. As far as the torsion axle setup, they are Ultra-tow 2000lb axles, they are about 18" each, but allow for 17" of ground clearance at the lowest point of my trailer. Since the last pictures, I've moved to 33" Mastercraft Mts to reduce weight and allow for more fender clearance when loaded out. I just finished building a budget-friendly slide out for my ARB fridge, there will be a post on that soon. Still need to mount my water tank and pump as well as redo my solar setup (hopefully soon). Any storage tips would be greatly appreciated, as well as any ideas of a solar-box on the front.
-Connor

Jcholsted

Sorry for the late reply, the tires pictured are 35" Hankook Dynapro Mt; however, I now run 33" Mastercraft Mt. With the 33s, the tongue sits at about 19"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk