custom rear bumper

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Warpath4x4

For some reason Land Rover owners seem to think they are some sort of keepers of the flame and tend to be highly opinionated if someone tries something new and it doesnt meet their standard, whatever that is. After years of reading posts where people are ripped on I still dont get it? I think some are truly passionate and dont like to see mods done to trucks at all. Others are master fabricators and are highly opinionated and will pick apart any homemade job. There are others who I think are threatened that the average guy now has access to a truck that was once attainable by the privileged few and they relished the sophistication of the marque. Now the only way to seperate themselves from the jeep owner now Land Rover owner is to elevate themselves by slamming others. Who really cares what someone does to their truck? I love my rover but I am realistic in my view that it is really no better than any other truck and I am certainly no better than any other person for owning one.

muskyman

Explorer
I know everyone has their opinion, everyone else who has seen this bumper likes it... Except you landrover people. I don't know if it because its diffirent for you guys or what.

A land plow? Its higher than the stock one.

D-rings will kill someone? These are the same ones on my company one ton trucks and we have pulled a lot around with them.

The tow hitch? He just wanted to keep the original one.

Everyone who's making ******* comments? We built this thing in about a weeks worth of time for a friend who is disabled. He loves how it turned out, just like he wanted so go **** off.

yes a land plow

The bottom edge will hang up the rear end off road like crazy...and yes worse then stock because the factory bumper flexes and slides along the ground where your design will dig in. You also have huge edges hanging out on each side behind the rear quarter panels. those will stop the truck dead on any real trails. That design might work on a construction truck driving onto a construction site but on a off road truck its a horrible design.

The D rings are not designed to be used as recovery points. the working load limits are way to low and if used in a real recovery type situation could very easily fail and a failure of a recovery point can kill people. Maybe you just intend to use them to tie down a canoe? but because of the location they apear to be offered as recovery points and using them as such would be a really poor idea.

The reason "land rover guys" have a hard time with this kinda stuff is simple. Land Rovers are very purpose built trucks and they draw enthusiasts to them that appreciate well thought out purpose built equipment. That bumper is neither well thought out or purpose built for what land rovers are used for so you are going to hear about it when you go on a Land Rover enthusiast site and hang it out there as a custom rear bumper.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Take your time build it nice. Quality in all aspects of life is a habit to aspire to.

Very true, but when people start pushing their idea of quality on others it start causing problems. My quality of life is quite different than someone elses quality of life. I have a modest home that someone else might think looks like a POS. My truck is full of mods that are practical and inexpensive, someone else might say why not save your money and do it right? I think I did do it right by not spending much money on it. Maybe this guys bumper may not win any fashion awards but it might suit his needs.

The only thing I spend a lot of money on is my climbing equipment because I know my life depends on it and I demand quality. In other areas I really dont care that much.

I know I am going to get ripped for saying this but I would rather be known as someone who had quality relationships than quality things. I see no good, at all from ripping on someone for anything. I am guilty of it myself but it is not something I am proud of and is not the example I want to show my kids.

michaels

Explorer
try again. i made this is in about 3 days total. i still have a day of work left. trailer hitch still needs to be welded in, as do the side supports, but i know it looks and will perform as well as any manufactured bumper. oh and i'm only 20. ;)

DSC_0600.jpg

i also like how you throw in that he's disabled. while that is truly unfortunate, it has nothing to do with how poorly executed the design of that bumper is.

lake_bueller

Observer
My truck (as well as Thom's) might be ugly, beat to **** and generally abused. But everything on them is there for a specific purpose and function.

I'm not going to comment on the design. It's your truck. Do with it what you like.

But....PLEASE ditch those alleged recovery points. They are dangerous!!!

muskyman

Explorer
My truck (as well as Thom's) might be ugly, beat to **** and generally abused. But everything on them is there for a specific purpose and function.

I'm not going to comment on the design. It's your truck. Do with it what you like.

But....PLEASE ditch those alleged recovery points. They are dangerous!!!

Hey Now...back off

My truck is a far from ugly, its just very well used:D

mongosd2

Adventurer
Hey Now...back off

My truck is a far from ugly, its just very well used:D

my d2 is ugly, and beat to ****, but it's not nearly as ugly as that one...painted over the alpine windows:Wow1:...and the bumper, well beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but safe recovery points are the responsibility of the builder, and dude, those are not safe

blueeyeddevil

Observer
Wow.....
There are so many things fundamentally wrong with that fabrication job.
What thickness is that material?Did you have to do a suspension upgrade to carry the weight?
Where is the gusset on that spare tire "arm".
They make these things called bolts that you can use to mount things like aahhh D-RINGS!!!!! Just because you have a welder doesn't mean you have to weld everything!

Just so everyone knows- Just like tattoos; Cheap fab work ain't good, and good fab work ain't cheap.

Last edited:

dustboy

Explorer
This is by far the worst display I've ever seen on ExPo. If the dude likes his bumper, cool. If you don't like it, offer constructive criticism or take it to pirate4x4.

blueeyeddevil

Observer
What's "cool" about potentially killing somebody that is trying to recover you and those d-rings pop and go in whichever the worst direction is?

michaels

Explorer
What's "cool" about potentially killing somebody that is trying to recover you and those d-rings pop and go in whichever the worst direction is?

X2. it's just horrible execution on so many levels.

dustboy said:
This is by far the worst display I've ever seen on ExPo. If the dude likes his bumper, cool. If you don't like it, offer constructive criticism or take it to pirate4x4.

so you'd rather see the person recovering him get hurt rather than tell him something he made was safe? sorry, but i'd rather have to break it down and be a little "mean" than see someone's truck--or worse, someONE-- mangled from a projectile shackle that that recovery point will create.

muskyman

Explorer

worst display of what?

The bumper has a bunch of issues and the only one using bad language is the guy that built the bumper.

Do we all have to just get in line and pat the guy on the back for a horrible design and tie down anchors used as recovery points?

What is the best thing for the community? I have to say the guy came and posted the bumper and the build for the review of the community. If he had done a great job I am sure many people would have told him that. Instead he built something that was not thought out and has a number of very clear short commings. The "if you dont have anything nice to say" theory might work in a parking lot when you are walking by the truck but on a forum dedicated to the exchange of accurate information on the use of trucks for off road and overland use it dumbs down the value of the information and allows unsafe practices to go unchecked.

I am sure the guy built a sturdy bumper, but as a community I have to say we are way past sturdy as the only measure of a bumper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach