Customs destroy illegally imported LR Defender

aluke0510

Adventurer
What is absolutely ridiculous is the blatant disregard for the environment in this video. Did everybody fail to recognize that when the government crushes a car they don't have to remove the fluids but when a citizen takes one to a crusher they have too? At the end after he flips it over you can see fluids running out. They probably didn't even remove the battery.

And trust me that is well over 30 dollars in scrap value. This guy lied on that. We can't trust the government.

I have no argument as to the crushing of it. It didn't comply. It is like importing weed with a sticker that says tobacco...

The laws are the issue. And yes defenders were available in the US for a period but they met the requirements then. A NAS defender is different from other defenders in order to meet the requirements. If you can find a true NAS defender outside the US then it is on the books as able to be imported not needing the 25yr law. They were not available after 1997 since they didn't have airbags. Same reason Jeep had to redesign the Wrangler at that time. Land Rover didn't see the value in the US market to make it comply again.

junkyddog11

Oil Soaked Filter
Wow. I just figured out two things...
1. I should have listened to my inside voice when I started reading this.
2. Idiots are trending (with the exception of Dougo, who as per usual is right on point.)

........and a possible third. Does this make all that rusted out mid eighties junk that got (legally) shuffled in here over the last 6yrs worth something?

DividingCreek

Explorer
1) me too
2) thanks man. Kinda felt provoked into touching the keys. With some, perception is reality and there is a ton of bs in this thread that needed a ********** down.

3)abso feakin lootly (intended pun)

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
18 U.S. Code § 545 - Smuggling goods into the United States

Whoever knowingly and willfully, with intent to defraud the United States, smuggles, or clandestinely introduces or attempts to smuggle or clandestinely introduce into the United States any merchandise which should have been invoiced, or makes out or passes, or attempts to pass, through the customhouse any false, forged, or fraudulent invoice, or other document or paper; or
Whoever fraudulently or knowingly imports or brings into the United States, any merchandise contrary to law, or receives, conceals, buys, sells, or in any manner facilitates the transportation, concealment, or sale of such merchandise after importation, knowing the same to have been imported or brought into the United States contrary to law—
Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both.
Proof of defendant’s possession of such goods, unless explained to the satisfaction of the jury, shall be deemed evidence sufficient to authorize conviction for violation of this section.
Merchandise introduced into the United States in violation of this section, or the value thereof, to be recovered from any person described in the first or second paragraph of this section, shall be forfeited to the United States.
The term “United States”, as used in this section, shall not include the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Wake Island, Midway Islands, Kingman Reef, Johnston Island, or Guam.

DividingCreek

Explorer
18 U.S. Code § 545 - Smuggling goods into the United States

Whoever knowingly and willfully, with intent to defraud the United States, smuggles, or clandestinely introduces or attempts to smuggle or clandestinely introduce into the United States any merchandise which should have been invoiced, or makes out or passes, or attempts to pass, through the customhouse any false, forged, or fraudulent invoice, or other document or paper; or
Whoever fraudulently or knowingly imports or brings into the United States, any merchandise contrary to law, or receives, conceals, buys, sells, or in any manner facilitates the transportation, concealment, or sale of such merchandise after importation, knowing the same to have been imported or brought into the United States contrary to law—
Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both.
Proof of defendant’s possession of such goods, unless explained to the satisfaction of the jury, shall be deemed evidence sufficient to authorize conviction for violation of this section.
Merchandise introduced into the United States in violation of this section, or the value thereof, to be recovered from any person described in the first or second paragraph of this section, shall be forfeited to the United States.
The term “United States”, as used in this section, shall not include the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Wake Island, Midway Islands, Kingman Reef, Johnston Island, or Guam.

Did you have a point of any kind or were you just demonstrating your ability to use a search engine ?

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Did you have a point of any kind or were you just demonstrating your ability to use a search engine ?

Some things are self evident. There was confusion over the Customs interest and the law. It isn't and wasn't about the NTSB or the EPA, it was about lying, plain and simple, and for doing so the importer of this particular Land Rover got off light as the penalties can be much more severe.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I took the video at face value, often a mistake I think, and accepted that it was a VIN swap. Based on post #70 is seems the it was LRNA not wanting it in the US.

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Terminated with extreme prejudice.

Some things are self evident. There was confusion over the Customs interest and the law. It isn't and wasn't about the NTSB or the EPA, it was about lying, plain and simple, and for doing so the importer of this particular Land Rover got off light as the penalties can be much more severe.

But the Land Rover was summarily executed, and it was innocent.

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk