Das Bus

hitek79

Explorer
Ujoint has been working on the bus recently. I'm hoping to pick it up in 2 weeks!

10610937_868349006517662_732227584132477073_n.jpg

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
Cool rig Hitek :ylsmoke: saw some pics of it in UJOR's project thread. I've seen extendable light poles on the back of fire trucks and ambulances...but never a converted wine tour bus :sombrero:

Getting it insured as an RV and the title/DMV saying it is an RV are two completely different things. You got lucky and Ford listed the chassis as an RV cutaway, but DMV may want to SEE more. Or maybe not if the original title says RV. Guys that convert school buses usually run into all sorts of headaches getting the title re-classified and insured.

Should not be that hard to register with DMV as an RV. Each state is a little different, but most require: A toilet, sleeping area, cooking area/stove, fridge, 110v, heat/AC unit (not the vehicle's HVAC), or a combination of the above, such as four of the six.

I think CO only requires a toilet, bed, and stove...and I don't think they even have to see it installed. Bottom line, check with your DMV for the specific requirements... although from reading other bus/truck RV conversions states vary widely on requirements, and not all DMV personnel are knowledgeable about RV conversions. It helps to find your states vehicle code and do some research.

hitek79

Explorer
Yeah, Chris has posted up a fair number of pictures now. I've been traveling across the country and haven't had a chance to update, so thanks for that!

Regarding the DMV, I ended up just tagging it in the state of Oklahoma because my dad is in the car business there, and my cousin, who runs the office, has connections at the local DMV there, and they switched it over without even needing to see the rig. Should be easy to tag in Colorado in the future.

85burbanator

Any chance on some close ups of the extendable lights? I've been planing some for my work truck using some of those quad row led lights. I was just going to make some 1/2" Emt fit into some 3/4 emt but id only be able to get so much extension. Nothing like working by the headlights.

flylow4500

Observer
Looks bad to the bone.

I'm going to guess on tires and wheels
Tires Toyo M-608 in 285/70 R19.5 on 6.75" wide American Force wheels.

The rear tires look like they are almost touching in the middle? The tricky thing about that is running enough pressure so they don't touch and low enough pressure for even wear.

hitek79

Explorer
Picked it up today. It's ************. Drives great. Flylow is correct on the wheels and tires. They have plenty of space between them. No touching. Now to pick up where I left off on the interior....

10731150_876702809015615_6762353090340026762_n.jpg

hitek79

Explorer
Any chance on some close ups of the extendable lights? I've been planing some for my work truck using some of those quad row led lights. I was just going to make some 1/2" Emt fit into some 3/4 emt but id only be able to get so much extension. Nothing like working by the headlights.

Finally had some time to snap some other pictures, but I should have taken some of how I mounted the pole. I will get those for you after Thanksgiving. The area these lights cover is just awesome.

hitek79

Explorer

I had to ditch the heavy insulation unfortunately. It was starting to work itself loose to easily. Went with carpet and padding. It won't look as nice, but it's much easier to work with. I'm covering the windows in the back, but will cut out the windows up front so we can cover them as needed.

Next major thing I'm working on is the shower pan and toilet. Hoping to start on that after Thanksgiving. I need it all functional in 3 weeks so we can start traveling!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven