Datrupr's Mod Thread

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I was thinking of moving the license plate bracket and light to the can holder, and using the existing mounting holes to mount the can. I would probably have to reinforce the mounts from the inside of the door, but I might still have to drill some holes in the bottom of the door to mount the bottom of the rack. I am a little apprehensive to drill through my sheet metal, but with just two bolts holding the can in at the top, it might not be sturdy enough and als rattle around. help me out eith some ideas here guys.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I think that looks pretty close to ideal Aaron.
You may consider mounting the holder with a backing plate or very large washers on the back side of the sheetmetal.

Also if you have more than one can holder you may consider mounting htem on their long side so you can have two cans side by side. If you have ever seen a copy of the 4 Wheelers Bible the FJ40 on the cover has two cans mounted in this manner. It looks like you have ths space to fit them.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.4x4books.com/images/4wba.jpg
4wba.jpg

Granted this example uses different style holders but you should be able to do the same with yours

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I thought about that Brian, but I don't think the small 1/3 door will be able to handle the weight of 2 full cans. I also do not want them to stick out too far, by mounting just the one, it will still be shorter than the spare tire. I am planning on mounting the water cans to the roof rack. I may need some welding assistance if I go through with this though, so get ready to get a call from me looking to come over and get some welding done.:D

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I'll give you a call when I gbet back in town, and see if we can't get some form of a plan for this project together. Also, you need to get your roof rack mounts outta my garage.:shakin:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
That is pretty cool Brian, but I would be concerned with rearward visibility. But that is just me. Isn't your ladder longer? Could you mount it lower?

asteffes

Explorer
datrupr said:
OK gang, look what showed up at my house last night. Complete with plenty of lighting:
IMG_2049.jpg

The lights are Hellas, but not sure what kind as of yet.

Those are Hella 500 driving beams, 55 watts each, H3 bulbs. You can get the snap-on clear covers from Expedition Exchange or Pangaea. Don't try to run higher wattage bulbs or the glass will crack and plastic may melt.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the info Adam. I might have to get sopme clear covers for them from Nathan. I also would not mind to have the white covers you can get for them as well.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Aaron, that basket should fit perfectly with your new rack, but I think not much else will, it's pretty narrow.

Zaphod

Adventurer
datrupr said:
I was thinking of moving the license plate bracket and light to the can holder, and using the existing mounting holes to mount the can. I would probably have to reinforce the mounts from the inside of the door, but I might still have to drill some holes in the bottom of the door to mount the bottom of the rack. I am a little apprehensive to drill through my sheet metal, but with just two bolts holding the can in at the top, it might not be sturdy enough and als rattle around. help me out eith some ideas here guys.

You will definitely find this of interest: http://myweb.cableone.net/bcanderson/trooper/Fuel%20Can/Fuelcan.html

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Well, I hate to say it, but went on a little solo adventure this weekend, and the Trooper suffered a very common failure and had to go under the knife when I got home on Monday. Unfortunately since I do not have a camera anymore I did not get any pics of the carnage, but the surgery was a success and I think the DATRUPR will pull through just fine..........

Yes, I was cruising down Bloody Basin Rd, running at a fairly decent speed when I kept hearing this occasional and somewhat irritating "whap, whap, whap" noise. At first I did not think much of it. When I got onto Cave Creek Rd. and started running a bit more speed the sound became more consistent and louder. I was trying to isolate the noise to figure out where it was coming from, as it sounded like it was coming from the left front tire. Is was getting pretty pissed as these tires are brand new and did not want any problems with them and have to go back to discount and have to deal with the warranty, take time out of my day etc. Well, I managed to get home safely and immediatly inspected the left front end of the truck to realize that it was not the tire at all that was causing the noise.....No, it turns out that it was a very common problem with late model Troopers that are often taken off road. Yup, the left front mud flap had torn, and was hanging on for dear life by about 1-1/4" of plastic. So, I pulled out my trusty tool kit, found a hex bit that fit into the rivet opening and popped the suckers off. So, not the Trooper is running front mud flap-less. I think it looks good, and the irritating noise is now gone.:victory:

I also tried to remove the bent and banged up step bars, but I could not get the friggin' bolts to budge, so That will wait for another day. Anyway, thanks for listening to my rant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach