Datrupr's Mod Thread

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
datrupr said:
OK, now, my frustration has reached a peak! I was calling around to get pricing for changing the axle and found out that it actuallyrequires the suspension (read A arms) to be removed, the differential and front axle shaft to be partially dropped, and the 4WD modulator and assembly to be removed form the axle. Only after that, can the CV axle be removed. It sounds to be to be a real PIA, and a bit on the pricy side. I am looking into finding a shop that will let me photograph the process so it can be seen. Since I am going to be taking it in to have the work done, I am also going to replace all of the front ball joints and also the right CV axle. I am picking up the right axle this afternoon.

Good Idea to do both at once...

You might need to find a mom and pop shop to allow you to take pictures due to insurance obligations.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I have a shop that I have been using for years, and I am pretty sure he let me document the whole process. If not, then I will come up with another option.

Yeah, the right outer CV boot is torn pretty badly as well, and with over 110K it is about time to replace, that and I do not want to have to hassle with the right one failing on me while I am out on the trail. The Trooper is going in the end of this week and I will probably givce it a quick test run on Sunday. I will fill you all in.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Well, got the Trooper back on friday, and with 2 new CV axles it is back up and running. 4Wd is working as well. I can't wait to hit the trails this weekend. I hope these stupid axles last, at over $600 for installation they better last a while. Next time though, I hope to be better equipped in my own garage to be able to do it myself. However, I did learn that this would make for a very difficult trail repair, and would take a lot of time. I am sorry as I did not get any pics of the process, but will post up in a few days a detailed process on how to perform this procedure.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I have the front CV axle step by step coming down really soon, but in the meantime, I just got some new goodies for the Trooper. I should have them in my garage by this weekend.:box:

BlueTrooper

You know, Aaron...since you're always about three steps ahead of me, maybe I should just have you buy two of everything you get...;)

datrupr

Expedition Leader
BlueTrooper said:
You know, Aaron...since you're always about three steps ahead of me, maybe I should just have you buy two of everything you get...;)
:xxrotflma

Roy, I can't afford the stuff I am buying now. Maybe that is why I am not buying it:rolleyes:

No, I think this is a good thing though, as I am currently saving my pennies for a new set tires.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
datrupr said:
I was calling around to get pricing for changing the axle and found out that it actuallyrequires the suspension (read A arms) to be removed, the differential and front axle shaft to be partially dropped, and the 4WD modulator and assembly to be removed form the axle. Only after that, can the CV axle be removed.

Whoa, not sure how I missed this. I would have loved to discuss this with you and look under the Trooper at the Secret Pass trip had I known about it. :smilies27 Dang - I am really curious about how this design works. I'll look forward to your write-up.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
OK gang, look what showed up at my house last night. Complete with plenty of lighting:

IMG_2049.jpg
[/IMG]

The lights are Hellas, but not sure what kind as of yet.
IMG_2048.jpg
[/IMG]

Not sure who makes it, but it looks liek it will do the job. It is made of aluminum and weighs about 65 lbs with the lights and flooring, so not too bad. I do have to figure out a way to mount it though. But hey, I can't complain about the price..... It was FREE!!!!!!! I also have to get the wiring harness and an OEM switch to wire up the lights, and then I am good to go. It also came with a 2' Fire stick quick disconnect antenna that I am thinking about wiring up too, but i am not sure if I want my CB antenna mounted on the rack. I am running through the options on that one. Now, I need to see if Thule or Yakima make mounting bars that will allow that particular rack to mount securely. Or will I have to come up with another option. I will keep you all posted and show some pics once I get it mounted. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
datrupr said:
OK gang, look what showed up at my house last night. Complete with plenty of lighting:

IMG_2049.jpg
[/IMG]

The lights are Hellas, but not sure what kind as of yet.
IMG_2048.jpg
[/IMG]

Not sure who makes it, but it looks liek it will do the job. It is made of aluminum and weighs about 65 lbs with the lights and flooring, so not too bad. I do have to figure out a way to mount it though. But hey, I can't complain about the price..... It was FREE!!!!!!! I also have to get the wiring harness and an OEM switch to wire up the lights, and then I am good to go. It also came with a 2' Fire stick quick disconnect antenna that I am thinking about wiring up too, but i am not sure if I want my CB antenna mounted on the rack. I am running through the options on that one. Now, I need to see if Thule or Yakima make mounting bars that will allow that particular rack to mount securely. Or will I have to come up with another option. I will keep you all posted and show some pics once I get it mounted. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Cool, remember, the Trooper has several holes up top for the not offered in North America roof rack. It used 6mm screws and Overland Trooper Mount Brackets, TR100s (found this information five years ago on ITOG (Isuzu Troopers Owner Group, don't know if it still exists) but a google search should help with the info.

I'll look and see if I can find any other info, but that should get you started.

Good luck,

Jeff

HongerVenture

Adventurer
Excellent! That looks very nice. I'm sure you can get it mounted quite reasonably. I'm fairly certain those are Hella 500's on the rack.

Free is the best priced mod!

datrupr

Expedition Leader
It is very solid, it came off of a LR Disco II. The owner traded in the Disco and did not want to trade the rack with it, so he gave it to me. I gladly accepted his generous offer:victory: The mounts for the LR will not work for my truck, so I will be donating these on this site fairly soon. I will keep you posted.

Jeff, thanks again for the very helpful info, I thought there was some way under the weather stripping on the roof to mount the racks, I have seen a couple of other Troopers with racks mounted in that area. I will have to look it up. ITOG is a very good soure of information as well as PlanetIsuzoo. I will get it figured out very soon and have it all mounted up.

Joel, I think you are right that they are Hella 500's, but I still have to confirm this.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Very cool! :jumping:

You could always use Scott's method. Although this would position the rack up close to the front of the roof, which may result in too much glare from the lights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk