Dc to dc charging

Yossarian22

Heya,

I am working on buying my first trailer and have not settled on one yet. I do know I would like the backup of having dc to sc charging when traveling. Assuming the unit has a dc to dc unit like the redark does it matter what size Anderson and fuse I use?

I saw this product which was a 50akp Anderson plug and 80 amp breaker. Does that matter what’s on the trailer at that point or am I safe to wire this in to my pickup.

Thanks

dstefan

Each manufacturer has specs depending on the charger. For example my National Luna 25 amp DCDC charger feeds through a 50amp Anderson with a 40 amp fuse. Both were supplied by the company. They also spec’d a 6 guage cable. Just use what they say and you’ll be fine. But be sure to use correct fuse amps the for the charger size. Its not clear what size charger that kit is for.

crazysccrmd

Observer
How large of a battery bank do you want to charge and in how long of a drive? My trucks have typically charged the trailer batteries at around 7AH and coupled with the solar panels that continue to work it isn’t uncommon to see a 30AH+ charge rate while driving on sunny days.

Yossarian22

I don’t actually know how much I want to charge but 450ma of battery.

I would think if the dc to dc converter is with the electronics all you are doing g is dragging the dc to an Anderson plus with your truck. By the above post it sounds like I would need to change the cable in my truck if I ever changed trailers? That seems like a pain.

Alloy

Wait until you get the trailer.

That kit is a fire hazard. The 80A fuse is way to big to protect 40' (combined length of pos and neg) of 8ga wire.

40' of 8ga should carry 10 amps and be protected with a 15amp fuse/breaker

dstefan

That kit is a fire hazard. The 80A fuse is way to big to protect 40' (combined length of pos and neg) of 8ga wire.

40' of 8ga should carry 10 amps and be protected with a 15amp fuse/breaker
THIS ⬆️ ⬆️ ⬆️ !

Are you sure you mean 450 milliamps (ma) of battery? That’s tiny. Take a minute and post the specs, type, etc of battery you’re trying to charge. People need more info to give you the help you want and not unintentionally mislead you. Do mean 450 amp hours?

Gotta size the charger and load and wires correctly. You might also want to look up the excellent Blue Sea wire guage chart.

If you’re really new to electrical, there’s a great book called Managing 12 Volts by Harold Barre. Focuses on RVs, boats, etc but very good for our purposes.

Yossarian22

Thanks. I have always had an aversion to electrical. Much prefer woodworking.

I’ll review and ask the question once I have a trailer. I was hoping to get ahead of the game but right is better than quick.

Thanks.

unreng

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk