DD with kit or without??

With kit or without?

• Total voters

TeriAnn

Explorer
I'd have to say the kit is the vehicle. I have 2 cars, a 1961 Triumph TR3 and a 1960 Land Rover Dormobile. When the weather is good the TR3 is the daily driver. When things are falling from the sky or there is snow on the street the Dormobile is the daily driver.

The Dormobile is my kit. Built in bed, stove with broiler, chest fridge, porta pottie, storage cabinets & rear jump seat. Too much work to remove everything or even empty the gear out of the cabinets.

frontDoorView.jpg

MOguy

Explorer
I don't head out for long periods of time but each time I head out in pack according time my adventure when I take just my vehicle. I really don't have a set list. My question to those that don't unpack, don't you check and clean your equipment when you come back? If you do clean and check it do you just pack it back up?

When i head out in just a vehicle i pack and unpack each time. I keep my camper packed all the time, i may add or remove stuff in it according get to my trip planned but with the camper much of the stuff I take stays the same.

Last edited:

TeriAnn

Explorer
I don't head out for long periods of time but each time I head out in pack according time my adventure when I take just my vehicle. I really don't have a set list. My question to those that don't unpack, don't you check and clean your equipment when you come back? If you do clean and check it do you just pack it back up?

When I head out in just a vehicle i pack and unpack each time. I keep my camper packed all the time, i may add or remove stuff in it according get to my trip planned but with the camper much of the stuff I take stays the same.

When I get back, everything gets unpacked, checked over, cleaned, and what lives in the vehicle gets put back in. Before repacking I hit the underside of my truck with a power washer, regrease the fittings, check fluid levels, clean out the inside as if I was heading to a concourse and wash the outside. It can take more time for me to unpack and clean after a trip than it does to pack for one. I'm a strong believer in "Take care of your gear and it will take care of you". It is just a matter of where the gear is stored after cleaning. For a lot of my stuff, inside the built in cupboards is home storage. Things that do best stored uncompressed stay in a house closet and things that would be visible from looking in a truck window get stored on a shelf in the garage.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Yes, sort of. I'm not going to be lugging around a RTT and rack for day to day use, but I have drawers permanently installed [in the bed] as well as a few other things bolted in. I keep most of the medical and some of the recovery gear in there to cover my *** just in case.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I carry some tools, parts and fluids but I somehow have always suspected that carrying up to 800 pounds of camping gear everywhere is a bit silly (besides the risk of theft, vibratory wear on the gear and the reduction in handling, fuel mileage and driving enjoyment.
When I was into backpacking light I didn't do it either primarily due to the risk of theft.
When doing long winter trips I do occasionally carry an winter emergency kit, but for daily use I don't.

Enjoy!

CurtStyler

Observer
I voted "Yes" but like a few of the others who chimed in it's a 50/50 story for me.

I keep my RTT on all the time and have a full size spare, my camp table and a box with my tools, a spare tent and several beach towels (Florida Life) that I keep with me all the time.

I then have a few other storage boxes I keep out of the car but ready to load up quickly with my lantern, stove, grill, food and camera equipment.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
What I DO NOT drive around with on a daily basis are red shackles, high-lift jack, fuel cans and a shovel. :rolleyes:

Mo4130

Adventurer
I am in the process of building a truck box for my bed that will have basically house everything I need for camping except for my tent cloths and sleeping stuff. I have found with the work schedule that packing the galley, food and cooking stuff is what took the longest. And once you get to camp if your cooking stuff is all ready to go, it's so much easier.

Everything else, shovel, maxtraxx,awning recovery gear and the like stays in the vehicle all the time. To take that out defeats the whole purpose of being able to pick up and go at a moments notice.

That's my two cents.

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
I keep a small pack in the trooper that contains a OMG I Broke down or / theres an incident on the road. I can manage for about 24 hrs + without too much stress , but the big shinies come off when its in the DD mode

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Like others I am 50/50.
Most camping gear comes out except for a backpacking stove and small cook kit just because it is small and fits out of the way. Recovery gear, spare parts and survival gear (blankets/water/non-perishable food) stay in 24/7.

Darrell

shrineboy

I have two suburban's, one is just for camping. Everything but water, fresh food and fuel stays inside of the camping rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl