Death Wobble after lift?

xovrlnd

Observer
Hey guys, I finished installing my 3 inch lift n my 2002 xterra today. Double check all my bolts to make sure they were tight and torqued properly, checking all my clearances, everything. Take it for a test drive and everything seems to be good, until I slow down to around 5 kph and take a sharp but not fully cranked left turn. Hear a popping like sound and it starts to get a death wobble like feel. once t starts wobbling it'll do it at any speed and whether I'm on the gas pedal of not. Only way I've found to get it to stop is to come to a full stop, reverse for a few feet, then everything seems to be fine. I checked everything again right after, and everything still seems to be fine? I'm at a loss. I don't know what could be happening. I guess maybe bad CV axle angle could be the issue? I'm sitting at 37 inches in the front and 38 inches in the rear, measured from the ground to the bottom of the fender. Haven't brought it in for an alignment yet. Anyone have any ideas?

brownmule

Observer
If you weren't getting the wobble before, it's probably has something to do with what was done to it.

xovrlnd

Observer
All bushings are brand new and greased, none of them have odd bulges or tears. Upper ball joints are brand new, lowers still need to be replaced. Tie rod ends are worn, but have no physical play in them when I try to move with my hands and body weight. Going to jack up the front and have someone steer left to right while I watch everything under the X.

I was thinking caster could be horribly off front my eye alignment, which causes death wobble in ifs Chevys. So maybe that's possible with this too? Or idler arm needs a rebuild and a brace.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
Stop and reverse a few feet fixes it? Is it a 4WD with the stock automatic hubs? Because that's exactly the procedure to disengage them.

I'm not sure how or why the lift affected it but perhaps one of your hubs is engaging on its own.

They're not hard to pop off, just six hex head bolts. Check for damage or odd wear on the hub housing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal

Members online