Decisions Decisions.

Clutch

<---Pass
I like!

My friend's Titan-swapped Fronty

[video]https://youtu.be/BFI7KsDF3js[/video]

Nice!

Tundra's are thirsty, but will run 4EVAR. Doesn't sound like you are going for mpg's anyways...

Supercharged versions are what, 550HP?

Moar Tundy p0rn...

bigskypylot

Explorer
Nice!

Tundra's are thirsty, but will run 4EVAR. Doesn't sound like you are going for mpg's anyways...

Supercharged versions are what, 550HP?

Moar Tundy p0rn...

Well, I'm currently getting 12-15mpg. I carry two 5gal MFC with me most times. Thinking about adding a couple 4gal Rotopax as well. I do have a friend that is working on an auxiliary tank (where the spare is located) for the Xterra. We will see what comes of that. With a V8 and blower, I'd expect mpgs to improve some (as long as I don't put my foot in to it that much). As for the power #'s on the Frontier, they are 385 whp 420ftlb on 6 psi. More power than a 2017 Raptor. So, add ~20% for drivetrain loss and you get some impressive #s! I'd be using upgraded cams so that number would be slightly higher. As for the 5.0L Coyote, with a Roush Blower, I think it's 600-650rwhp/585tq. If I wanted mpg's, I'd buy a Prius. I'm not gonna take them if I can get better mpg of course!

bigskypylot

Explorer
I'd be doing a Titan swap on my X (wished I had done it from the get go) but that is a mid-travel as I'm not gonna be jumping and desert running. I think lol

Clutch

<---Pass
Well, I'm currently getting 12-15mpg. I carry two 5gal MFC with me most times. Thinking about adding a couple 4gal Rotopax as well. I do have a friend that is working on an auxiliary tank (where the spare is located) for the Xterra. We will see what comes of that. With a V8 and blower, I'd expect mpgs to improve some (as long as I don't put my foot in to it that much). As for the power #'s on the Frontier, they are 385 whp 420ftlb on 6 psi. More power than a 2017 Raptor. So, add ~20% for drivetrain loss and you get some impressive #s! I'd be using upgraded cams so that number would be slightly higher. As for the 5.0L Coyote, with a Roush Blower, I think it's 600-650rwhp/585tq. If I wanted mpg's, I'd buy a Prius. I'm not gonna take them if I can get better mpg of course!

*thumbs up*

Clutch

<---Pass
I need to approach this with a sensible and practical mindset.

Pffft...go for broke!

https://www.f250r.com/concept-design

14566500_1023034407822837_4200866950546456576_n.jpg

D45

Explorer
If you're looking for a half ton or settled on the fact that a half ton will suit your needs.........

Find an F150 with the Max Tow and Max Payload package, very very impressive numbers for a half ton truck with these options

Add some air bags, if need be

bigskypylot

Explorer
If you're looking for a half ton or settled on the fact that a half ton will suit your needs.........

Find an F150 with the Max Tow and Max Payload package, very very impressive numbers for a half ton truck with these options

Add some air bags, if need be

I've given that some thought as well :)

Clutch

<---Pass
Well, hell. It's only money!

Hells yeahs...money doesn't even exist if you think about it.

Kinda crazy that it has become numbers on a computer screen any more, guess it beats carrying around 5 goats and a couple chickens to barter with... :elkgrin:

bigskypylot

Explorer
Hells yeahs...money doesn't even exist if you think about it.

Kinda crazy that it has become numbers on a computer screen any more, guess it beats carrying around 5 goats and a couple chickens to barter with... :elkgrin:

Haha. No doubt. I'll just write up an IOU or two and see if that will suffice lol

honestly , a gas engine in today 's technology will net you everything a diesel will ,across a broader spectrum of usages for the average consumer at a considerably reduced expense.
(excluding heavy haul)

someone told me a new diesel truck msrp with depreciation, maintenance and fuel was 4$ a mile for the first year?
hmmmmm seems high but i dont know.im assuming average mileage
if i were buying , i would do the math. then i would know , if his numbers were accurate.

would be interesting study.

the superior performance got from a diesel powered truck, is sustained heavy haul; stock trailers, hotshots, etc. but if i vacation 2x a year with my camp trailer,do i need a diesel? do i even need a tonner? if i was serious heavy then why fool with a light duty truck? go with a medium duty with medium duty engine

::Squish::

Observer
I went from a Taco (V6 pre-runner TRD package) to an F350 4x4 Diesel
The only reason we went that big was because we haul a camper and sometimes a trailer or bumper bike. (really hitch bike)

The SD is nice, we have the 8' box, after close to 20 years of Tacoma's it's nice to get get three bikes in the bed, three people in the truck and gear for a weekend
The bigger cab is really nice, we only have a four door supercab but there's so much more room over the two door supercab taco,

Parking and maintenance cost on the diesel are out of this world, but I knew that going in since I often drove 1 tons for my job.
And because of that It's no issue looking for a parking spot, narrow urban roads suck, but then they suck anyway, becasuse
well... they are narrow urban roads.

It really comes down to what you want/need
Our SD gets 14 mpg unloaded 13 with the camper, it's not great but it's decent. The taco it gets 17 if driven normally 20 if I'm real careful and on the the freeway most of the time.

We don't daily drive it, for us it's the lifestyle support vehicle, the escape pod as it were,

With the camper on we have to watch our weight closely even with a one ton

Our truck and camper came as a package and if I had a choice I would have gone with a gasser engine but eh the oilburner's not so bad It's nice to have the grunt in the hills out west and we often travel above 5,000 feet with a lot of up and downs, so the diesel helps there.

What we found is there's no perfect truck, (or car for that matter)
There's trade-offs everywhere.
Big enough to haul a camper it's big truck, so it spirals us out of places we'd like to go because the rig is too big,
but for the places we currently have been going, it's just fine.

We would really like to have been able to have truck camper on the Taco, but there's nothing that even comes close to matching the payload of the taco

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues