Decisions Decisions.

p nut

butter
...What we found is there's no perfect truck, (or car for that matter)
There's trade-offs everywhere.
Big enough to haul a camper it's big truck, so it spirals us out of places we'd like to go because the rig is too big,
but for the places we currently have been going, it's just fine.

We would really like to have been able to have truck camper on the Taco, but there's nothing that even comes close to matching the payload of the taco

Yep, there are definitely trade-offs. I looked at the new Tacoma very hard, as the exterior size was right, and loved the aftermarket support. But at the end of the day, for my family, a full-size was the way to go. Just doesn't fit down some trails, but that may be 0.01% of the trails that we go on, if that. There are so many back country roads to explore that will accommodate any high-clearance 4wd, we won't ever have to worry about being limited due to size. The 3/4 or 1 ton would be awesome as well, and if we ever get a slide in camper, that's the way we'll go. But for now a 1/2 ton works well, especially as I'm driving it daily. There are trade-offs there, too. I wish the bed were a bit bigger (5.5') and hoped for a tiny bit more payload. Ah well.

bigskypylot

Explorer
All great points...

I'm not sure it's available, but I'm trying to get the Max Tow/Payload on a Supercab 6.5ft bed F150 4x4 V8. Is the Max Payload only available on 2WD?

p nut

butter
Nope, wouldn't make sense to only offer it with 2WD. Although payload might be a little higher with 2WD, they definitely offer it in 4WD. You can do a build on Ford.com, which should show you all the configurations available.
-
Here is one. Supercrew, 4x4, V8, XL, 36 gal tank, 3.73 e-locker, and HD Payload. Almost a perfect truck (except I'd trade out the V8 for 3.5EB personally :D)

http://www.dalespradleymotors.com/new/Ford/2017-Ford-F-150-d2f4b5610a0e0a1771591b198b894a2d.htm

Last edited:

bigskypylot

Explorer
Weird, I can't find the option for max payload. All I see is the tow. I did the Supercab, 6.5, V8 4x4 Lariat. 501A, FX4, towing package. Next year, the 10spd will be available to the V8 as well

p nut

butter
Weird, I can't find the option for max payload. All I see is the tow. I did the Supercab, 6.5, V8 4x4 Lariat. 501A, FX4, towing package. Next year, the 10spd will be available to the V8 as well

I believe because you need a 163" wheelbase. This means, for Supercab, you'll need to select the 8' bed option (6.5' for Supercrew). It's "Heavy-Duty Payload Package".

• 3.73 Electronic-locking rear-axle
• 9.75" gearset
• 36 Gallon Fuel tank
• LT245/70R17E BSW all-terrain tires (A/T) (XL only)
• LT275/65R18C OWL all-terrain tires (A/T) (XLT and LARIAT)
• Upgraded springs and auxiliary transmission oil cooler
• XL: 17" Silver Steel Heavy-Duty Payload Package wheels
• XLT/LARIAT: 18" Sliver Aluminum Heavy-Duty Payload Package wheels

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater