DeMello/DR Stage 1 for the '05 Taco...

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Decided to upgrade the stock suspension on Tami's '05 DC. Placed the order today for the Donahoe Racing 2.5" coilovers and add-a-leaf w/ Billies. After getting a "free" set of 16x8 MB Rocker rims, we've had fitment issues. I trimmed as much stuff off as I dared, but still had a bit of rubbing on occasion.

http://www.demello-offroad.com//cat...d=117&osCsid=79c8f6049183b7886ce97dd3a56c9627

I'll do a full tech report on the install - I've got a three day weekend over the New Years holiday to get'r done.

Sure hope it rides as well as my SAW's do!

Mark

asteffes

Explorer
I'll be curious to find out how the rear add-a-leaf works out. It seems there are a few variations on AAL kits for the '05+ Tacomas. Wheeler's offer a single-leaf AAL that raises about 1.5". DO uses a three-leaf AAL for 1.75".

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
From my limited experiance w/ building my own add-a-leaf setup, the ride quality was better than stock. With my '98, the truck was pretty much on the overload with even minor compression. That made the ride very harsh - removing it and adding three soft leaves made the rear almost as smooth as the SAW's up front.

Once done, we'll have to do a Broken Arrow run to see how it does!

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
...sure hope so!

Really considered going with the Old Man Emu springs/struts and rear springs and shocks, but after doing some research it seemed the 885 coils made the trucks ride a bit rough - didn't want that for Tami's DD. Also, it seems everyone gets a different amount of lift from that setup - anywhere from 1.5" to the advertised 3". Even bought a set of strut compressors before changing my mind!

asteffes

Explorer
crawler#976 said:
From my limited experiance w/ building my own add-a-leaf setup, the ride quality was better than stock. With my '98, the truck was pretty much on the overload with even minor compression. That made the ride very harsh - removing it and adding three soft leaves made the rear almost as smooth as the SAW's up front.

Once done, we'll have to do a Broken Arrow run to see how it does!

So it's my understanding that the off-the-shelf AAL kits retain the overload leaf. Do you know if this is the case?

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
For the Demello/DR kit, the overload is removed. The AAL provides the additional lift and load capacity - similar to the Deaver three leaf for the slightly older Tacos.

asteffes

Explorer
crawler#976 said:
For the Demello/DR kit, the overload is removed. The AAL provides the additional lift and load capacity - similar to the Deaver three leaf for the slightly older Tacos.

Ah, ok. I assume that means the Demello kit leaves one with reduced load-carrying capacity. This is an issue for me, as I don't want my truck to sag too much and thus lose travel when the bed is full or I'm towing. There really is no perfect solution, of course. Engineering a suspension is all about compromise.

jim65wagon

I've got a set of Deaver's 3-leaf AAls in the back of the Tundra. While I did not get the full 1.5" of lift (it raise the rear about 3/4") It rides better on rough roads, seems to at least on the B-O-M. A thousand pound load in the back levels the truck perfectly. I haven't loaded it to the bump stops yet so I don't know how much the diminished capacity is but I don't think it affected it by more than a hundred or two hundred pounds; judging by the way the truck squats with similar type loads before and after lift.

asteffes

Explorer
jim65wagon said:
I've got a set of Deaver's 3-leaf AAls in the back of the Tundra. While I did not get the full 1.5" of lift (it raise the rear about 3/4") It rides better on rough roads, seems to at least on the B-O-M. A thousand pound load in the back levels the truck perfectly. I haven't loaded it to the bump stops yet so I don't know how much the diminished capacity is but I don't think it affected it by more than a hundred or two hundred pounds; judging by the way the truck squats with similar type loads before and after lift.

Very interesting. I will have to look into this kit for my Tacoma. I have not raised my truck yet but I'm starting to think the rear is sagging ever so slightly. The only thing I haul around in the bed these days is the SnugTop, which weighs probably 100-150 pounds. All I really want to do is fit 265-75-16 ATs, which don't require a lift at all, really. So gaining an inch or so would be great if I don't have to destroy the ride quality or load capacity at the same time.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Demello Stage 2

I have the Stage 2 kit from Demello (DR CO's and Deaver 12 leaf packs with Bilstein 5100's) and have been very happy with it's all around performance :costumed-smiley-007

I went with 12 leaves vice 10 because I load her down. Most guys (like asteffes) would be fine with the 10 pack and Billies.

IMO it's worth a few extra bucks to get a complete rear spring pack vice AAL's considering the OEM rear springs on the new Tacomas are quite possibly the worst ever marketed by Toyota on a truck...

Last edited:

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
I too went with the Stage 2 Demello kit for my Tacoma. However, I highly underestimated the weight that I usually carry when camping. Right now I have the Deaver 8-leaf pack. But one of these days I'll probably be upping it to a 10 or even 12-leaf pack. I think anything you do to upgrade the stock Tacoma suspension will be good, even the AAL. I look forward to seeing how it turns out for you!

slooowr6

Explorer
tacozona said:
I too went with the Stage 2 Demello kit for my Tacoma. However, I highly underestimated the weight that I usually carry when camping. Right now I have the Deaver 8-leaf pack. But one of these days I'll probably be upping it to a 10 or even 12-leaf pack. I think anything you do to upgrade the stock Tacoma suspension will be good, even the AAL. I look forward to seeing how it turns out for you!

Any idea how much weight you are carrying? If you switch to a 12 pack will the ride suffer when you don't have much on the bed?
________
roor bong pictures

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl