Derating GVM in an FG

markymark

Hi all, just found this site the other day and it's fantastic. Am on the hunt for a crew cab FG at the moment.

I've been searching and searching the net to find any info on what is involved in derating the GVM of an FG from 6000 to 4495kg's, can't find anything about it. They list it as an option on the mitsubishi site.

Need to have the lower GVM as I am planning to park it on the street here in Brisbane and you can only park trucks under 4500kg gvm parked on the street here.

How does it affect the truck in general? And can you do it to 2nd hand fg's or does it have to be done in the factory etc etc??

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hey Mark. Welcome to ExPo.

Come up and see us.We 're only an hour up the road and we can do it on the spot and fit a mod plate and that's about it. Easy. Nothing to physically modify on the truck. You just can't carry the extra load. Not legally anyway and they can get tough on this too.

The other plus will be anyone with a car license can drive it too.

markymark

Oh is that all it is eh? Too easy. And the license thing is a real bonus too. How does it affect the load carrying capacity? 1505kg's less??? I'm not planning on carrying too much weight anyway, just camping gear and kids etc.

Thanks for replying, I was hoping you would. Love the stuff you guys build, just frigging awesome. Would love to come up and have a look, will be wanting a suspension and wheel upgrade off you guys anyway, once I find one. Not too many crew cabs around at the moment.

whatcharterboat

Not too many crew cabs around at the moment.

Try truckhub.com.au Seems to be the best place to find them. Let me know how much you want to spend and we'll keep an eye out for you.

will be wanting a suspension and wheel upgrade off you guys anyway, once I find one.

Yeah it will transform the truck , especially if you're carting the family around.

How does it affect the load carrying capacity? 1505kg's less??? I'm not planning on carrying too much weight anyway, just camping gear and kids etc.

IIRC the crewcabs are about 2700kg dry. So add fuel, water, oil and bodies and subtract from 4500kg and 1500kgs maybe a reasonable guess.

T Would love to come up and have a look,

Anytime, but usually we're there on Saturdays which is pretty relaxed if you just want to come and have a look around and a bit of a chat. Tee it up first just to be sure. Look forward to it.

markymark

Thanks for all your help, been going through all the old threads over the last couple of days on here. Learning a lot of great stuff. Love the interview with the fraser tours bloke, very interesting.

Found out the reduced GVM also means cheaper rego too, so it's all good! I'm probably looking for a mid to late 90's, maybe early 2000's crew cab FG, they seem to be at around my budget.

whatcharterboat

How did you go on truckhub. There was an '03 crewcab just recently went on there for $36K. Was it still there?

whatcharterboat

Nothing wrong with the 4,2 litre natuarally aspirated models. Very reliable injection mechanical injection and can be powered up with a turbo later if it's in the budget.

markymark

How did you go on truckhub. There was an '03 crewcab just recently went on there for $36K. Was it still there?

yeah, I've been looking everywhere, truckhub, tradingpost, papers, auctions, there are a few about. Went out to cousins today actually and had a look at that $36k one along with 2 others that were in the high $40's. I was just :drool:. Will be trawling the govt auctions for one I reckon, hoping to pick up a bargain somewhere along the way, if that's possible.

whatcharterboat

Will be trawling the govt auctions for one I reckon, hoping to pick up a bargain somewhere along the way, if that's possible.

Tony (FGCrazy) got his crew cab from the NSW Correctional Services auctions. Send him a private message. Good place to get one from. They don't do any hard work and are sold at still low K's I think. He'll fill you in I'm sure.

I wish they had crew cab 4x4's in the USA.

Hi, Leon. Yeah , that's a shame. I didn't realize this. A crewcab would be good for you. Haven't you only got the one daughter. A single cab still has plenty of room for three although the standard passenger seating isn't the most comfortable. Especially the middle seat.

IMO though If your intention is to fit a camper body on the back then a single cab with the rear cut out is better and fit the extra seating into the rear camper. That way you can get better passenger comfort and far more usable space in the camper.

Different story if you only want to cart camping gear and use the truck for work through the week. That's were the crewcabs come into their own.

BTW Don't be too concerned about not getting the Isuzu's in the US either as you mentioned the other day. It sounds like you have big mod plans afoot and the FGs lend themselves to this much more than an NPS. If you wanted a standard truck IMO the the latest Isuzu NPS 300 is hands down favourite over the FG140. Completely new model in every respect and they have really done their homework but as with so many new vehicles, the manufacturers are making it harder and harder to modify them. Whereas the FG's are still one of the easiest trucks you'll find to tinker with.

BTW As of this month Isuzu celbrated 20 years as top selling truck manufacturer in Australia and the gap to 2nd place (pretty sure it's Fuso)keeps getting bigger.

markymark

no worries, I'll PM him and keep an eye out for them coming up too. :bike_rider:

I found this payload calculator thingo on the web this morning. Has all the weights of every truck model (all FG 4x4's etc), can work out the GVM of your truck and the payload leftover. Is pretty nifty. Looks like with an FG rated to 4500kg there's only gonna be about 800-1000kg of payload leftover. Hmmm, interesting. I didn't realise GVM is the weight of the truck fully loaded up including all passengers and fuel etc.

http://www.ahgwa.com.au/payload_calculator.php?nvic=EKM08A

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

I didn't realise GVM is the weight of the truck fully loaded up including all passengers and fuel etc.

Hi Mark Thanks for that link and yes it does include passengers and fuel. You can imagine how that affects us if we build an FG that takes around 18 or so people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater