Dexter Axle Easy Grease Trailer Hub and Drum Assembly Pre Greased 8-201 Not under warranty unless installed on a Dexter Axel spindle Buyer beware

WillySwan

Those bearings do not appear to be greased at all...

...To prevent in the future, I recommend carrying a low cost laser thermometer in your trailer gear and making a habit of shooting when bearing temps while you pump fuel.

I agree with both statements. Those bearings don't appear to have ever been packed with grease. I have also considered carrying an IR temp gun for checking wheel temps and I just went and ordered one. They are so inexpensive now and also handy for checking the griddle temp.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Those bearings do not appear to be greased at all. You had an assembly failure. That should have so much grease paste in it that you can’t identify individual parts. I suspect that if your mechanic wasn’t so great and had actually taken the hub off, you would have seen and prevented this. You need to pull the other wheel immediately.

I would be willing to bet that the technical fail point was within the first 20 miles and after that you’ve always been riding on the spindle nut and not known it.

To prevent in the future, I recommend carrying a low cost laser thermometer in your trailer gear and making a habit of shooting when bearing temps while you pump fuel.

Thanks I really appreciate this advice. What temp is to hot?

I agree with both statements. Those bearings don't appear to have ever been packed with grease. I have also considered carrying an IR temp gun for checking wheel temps and I just went and ordered one. They are so inexpensive now and also handy for checking the griddle temp.

Thanks Wille when I point thermometer should I crawl under and hit the back side of wheel /hub or point at front of rim?

What temp is to hot?

WillySwan

That Klein IR gun is the one I have on order. I "think" bearing temps should be below 200F. Temperature is hard to measure and brake usage is also going to affect the measurement. It is important is to get the baseline "good" temp for your wheels measured with your gun. Once you get everything properly set up and back on the road, get some measurements after an hour or so of "normal" driving. Always try to take the measurement the same way.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
“Too hot” isn’t really a specific number, but I would generally be okay with 150 higher than the ambient temp, concerned at 200 higher, and really worried if the paint burned off. Braking adds heat too, so mountains or windy roads you accept a little more. The grease is probably considered good to about 400 but you should never see that in a basic trailer wheel bearing.

I can’t seem to see your link, but I think of these temp guns as disposables, so a good one should have a laser and cost less than $30 or so. I’ve been carrying around the one from my Ooni Pizza oven because it is yellow and small, I think it was $35. The laser helps you know where you’re pointing. The consistency of use helps you develop a comfortable range of temps.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Thanks FordGuy1. Do the ones you have seen fly off the spindle and almost kill someone ?

Any idea if any pre packed brake hubs come with Timken bearings?
Mine never flew off, but were close. Both times I had someone behind me that spotted the wheel wobbling all over the place. The Timkin bearing are easy to find. I was able to cross the number right over off of ther origanl bearing, and it did not cost much, maybe $200.00 for all eight. I also kept two of the removed bearing as a kit in case of a failure.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Just because I happened to still have this thread in mind, I checked temps today. I towed my trailer about 90-100 miles in mixed foothills, some 15 mph hill climbs and some freeway to and from. Midway through, the hubs were 92 on an 80 degree day. After getting home they were still at 92. The diff cover was 163. The purpose of the trip was to help break in my new gear set. I have never weighed the trailer, but I’m guessing about 1600-1800 lbs on 3500 lb drum/hubs with electric brakes.

Last edited:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Also curious if there was any grease in the other side, and if your manufacturer admitted they failed to grease on assembly and spotted you a hub/spindle unit or not?

The other side looked good maybe a touch low on grease as he was able to get more in. I had my local guy swap spindles so not really say for sure who did what on greasing. I guess it's possible that the bearings just failed. It is fixed now and I pick up tomorrow

WillySwan

Sparks flying then fire on hub then wheel with tire and half the break hub cruising down the left lane and landed 2 000 yards down the meridian in Friday afternoon traffic.
So lucky things did not turn out worse. Just curious, how did you get your trailer to a repair facility? Did a tow truck have to flatbed it away?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues