Diesel GC or Toureg

slowLC

Hello everyone, I am a land cruiser guy who is looking to get into something a little newer. I currently have a 1995 80 series with a mild build, but would like to enter the diesel world with one of the modern diesels that have come out.

I test drove a 2015 GC eco diesel and it was awesome! I really like the capability as well as the mileage and on road manners. I am also looking at the 2010 vw Toureg. This is the last model with lockers and air suspension before it turned into more of a road warrior. I am wondering what you guys think of the two. I have read some horror stories about GC issues, but usually forums are full of them because people come here for help and don't post when things are great.

I would not be using this for rock crawling. My wife and I are more of the explorer types. We constantly find ourselves on washboard roads or in the middle of nowhere, and living in Oregon, we are always inclined to run into bad weather and road conditions. Thanks and any help is appreciated

haven

Expedition Leader
The 2010 v6 diesel Touareg is part of the federal recall. No plan has been approved for retrofitting the V6 models, so there is a small risk that VW will have to buy back the vehicle. Unlike VW's four cylinder diesels, the V6 uses urea injection to help clean the exhaust. So it's likely the V6 can be brought into compliance with EPA rules without major changes.

The Touareg has just about zero aftermarket support in USA. So items like off-road bumper, winch, sliders, underbody protection, extra lights, and so on would probably have to come from Europe. The Grand Cherokee is not as well supported as the Wrangler, but there are aftermarket options from dealers in USA.

slowLC

The diesel swap is really expensive and frankly, above my skill level. I could do a large part myself, but I would have to pay labor for some as well. I think the right move for us is to get something newer. I have researched the recall stuff and am not too worried about it. I just want astrong, capable and reliable rig that burns diesel!

Terex

Adventurer
I have a '14 JGC Overland Diesel with Quadrlift and my buddy has a '14 diesel Touareg. His is more refined, but mine is much more capable. The 2010 Touareg sounds interesting.

The torque in the diesel is great for towing. We have an off-road trailer we pull with it. I've driven mine - with the stock Michelin road tires - up a 4x4 road in Sedona and freaked out all the people on ATVs. I'm about to order some proper off-road wheels and tires, probably Mopar off-road wheels and Goodyear Duratracs. Whatever you get you're probably going to have to upgrade the tires, and maybe wheels. QuadraLift works really well, but has limited range in the highest position. The axle assembly bumps up against the stops pretty easily if you're moving quickly. No real problem, but annoying, especially the first few times it happens.

We just did a loop from Taos to Black Canyon of the Gunnison to Ouray - Silverton - Durango and back over lots of mountain passes, narrow roads, forest roads, etc. It handles everything effortlessly. I also have a Wrangler Rubicon and although it does a lot more off-road, you still have to get there and the diesel SUV gets you there efficiently and in comfort.

Good luck with your selection.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
2007/2008 WK? Reliable Mercedes V6 diesel, OK aftermarket support, straight axle, ifs, engine tuning (GDE), no DEF.

slowLC

Yeah from what I have read, the 2004-2010 touregs are totally different than the newer ones. Much more capable. Thanks for your input!

Weeds

Adventurer
I have the GC with air suspension. It can be stiff. For gravel roads I use the MUD setting. It raises the suspension to offroad 1. Since my wife has MS, some days she cannot get in the Rubi without a step stool. So we use the GC. As for getting to the dirt, not many vehicles can compare to the diesel GC for comfort or fuel mileage.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I know a couple of former towrag owners. I wouldn't touch the Diesel or gasser with a 10ft pole. $2800 to fix a messed up air ride system was a common cost. Two former owners drive newer Land Crushers today. The other guy drives a diesel X5 now.

The eco diesel GC sports a much better engine way more modern design also. Jeep is no super star in the reliability department but at least it has a good dealer network and plenty of skilled techs to fix stuff. You have an issue with a diesel towrag outside of a major city. All you'll get are blank looks from mechanics as to how to get the thing running again.

clint.

i can speak on behalf of the touareg side. i have a 2010 touareg tdi. i really enjoy it. it sounds like either vehicle in stock form will serve the purpose for you. however, as haven mentioned, the aftermarket will be much more plentiful for the jeep if you decide you want to mod. finding a 2009/2010 touareg tdi with air suspension in good shape with low miles is not an easy task. iirc, there were less than 250 sold over those two model years. it took me well over a year to find mine and i had to settle for a color that's not my favorite. i can't defend the vw (or any euro for that matter) on the repair record. if i didn't have the warranty, i wouldn't have the car. i would suggest budgeting for an extended warranty on either vehicle for sure.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I'm a big fan of VW, and have owned a Tiguan, and slew of other VWs. That said, cost of ownership on used Tuaregs is apparently sky high. I've always loved them, but never owned. I'm just going by what my friend who has owned a VW dealership since I was a kid says. Basically, "stay far away from used Tauregs unless they have factory warranty".

As others have mentioned, the a Jeep is not the king of reliability either. Probably not as much to repair, but still very "electronic". My 2011 JKUR was very good reliability wise, but not the best ever build quality. Not sure how that carries over to the WK assembly line?

The $64,000 question is: Why not a UZJ100 or LX470? The fuel economy won't be as good as the ecodiesel, but actual cost of ownership will be WAY lower. They are a vast improvement over the 80 series for your type of use (I have owned both 80 and 100 series and live in your part of the world).

slowLC

I'm a big fan of VW, and have owned a Tiguan, and slew of other VWs. That said, cost of ownership on used Tuaregs is apparently sky high. I've always loved them, but never owned. I'm just going by what my friend who has owned a VW dealership since I was a kid says. Basically, "stay far away from used Tauregs unless they have factory warranty".

As others have mentioned, the a Jeep is not the king of reliability either. Probably not as much to repair, but still very "electronic". My 2011 JKUR was very good reliability wise, but not the best ever build quality. Not sure how that carries over to the WK assembly line?

The $64,000 question is: Why not a UZJ100 or LX470? The fuel economy won't be as good as the ecodiesel, but actual cost of ownership will be WAY lower. They are a vast improvement over the 80 series for your type of use (I have owned both 80 and 100 series and live in your part of the world).
Actually I am looking at the 470 as well. I love the idea of a diesel with the range and torque it provides. I love my 80 series, but with a mild build I am down to around 12mpg!! The idea of getting nearly 30 mpg in something that I can still take out into the dirt is awesome. Looking at real world numbers from the 470, they get maybe 21 mpg on the highway. I love them though. Maybe I will take another look!

As far as the Trailhawk, I would give a kidney for one, but unfortunately that is going to be out of my budget!!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
470 21mpg? LOL maybe being towed by a 2L Jetta. My Sequoia typically does 15-18. Most 470s do 14-15. The 2500 Suburban we had did 20mpg with a tail wind with grandpa doing 5 under the limit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3