Diesel GC or Toureg

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I would go for a GC Diesel, but skip the air and put a good suspension under it. If I was looking at a touareg diesel, I would slide back a few years and find a v10. My buddy had the v6, and it was always having trouble with the air suspension, and electrical stuff. I owned a 2003 passat that I had lowered, and chipped etc. it was stone cold reliable. Probably the best car I have ever owned...and I owned everything. So, I think its all about what one you get. But out of the rigs your looking at the GC without air ride is the best route.

slowLC

I would go for a GC Diesel, but skip the air and put a good suspension under it. If I was looking at a touareg diesel, I would slide back a few years and find a v10. My buddy had the v6, and it was always having trouble with the air suspension, and electrical stuff. I owned a 2003 passat that I had lowered, and chipped etc. it was stone cold reliable. Probably the best car I have ever owned...and I owned everything. So, I think its all about what one you get. But out of the rigs your looking at the GC without air ride is the best route.

I was thinking the air ride was the best option for expedition use. I won't be modifying it immediately and figured it would help. You are right though, it may be a better option to have one without air suspension in the longneck run. Less things to break as well

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
Wanted the Diesel badly in my Durango, Alas the powers that be at chrysler deemed that it wasn't to be. Had to have the third row, so ended up with Dodge versus Jeep. I was really tempted by the Diesel GC they had on the lot. Hemi has served me well to this point though. Pulls my 5000 lb boat with ease. Have the Wrangler too, so didn't really need the offroad capability, So much so that I got the 4wd R/T version. It however has proven reasonably capable off road, even with street tires as long as you watch the clearance.

REALLY do want the diesel still. Wish they would put it in the Wrangler.

kojackJKU

I was sizing up the liberty CRD for a daily driver for me, however, our patriot's numbers both in the city and the highway beat it by a good margin. So, I have no use for a diesel jeep at this moment.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
My wife purchased a 2004 V8 Touareg new. Drove it for 75K miles. Other than a few software updates under warranty and the ignition switch plastic retaining ring breaking twice allowing the the ignition switch to fall into the dash the truck ran superb, got 14 MPH and was well enjoyed. Almost 350 HP, 14 inch Brembo brakes, adjustable suspension and a NICE interior there was a lot to like.

In 2009 family needs dictated a 3rd row seat that was not available on the Touareg. She would have purchased a second VW Touareg IF a third seat was available she like the truck that much. Truck was fantastic in the rain, snow and trail rides with brakes to die for!

Pangle

Wanderer
My wife was looking at exactly this question. We drove the 14 GC diesel, the 10 touareg diesel, and the 2011 touareg diesel. We went with the 11 Touareg diesel used from a guy in Sacramento. It was in perfect shape and to be honest I think it is the best vehicle I have ever owned, and I have owned just about everything you could imagine. It has a range of OVER 700 miles and I swear if I had the patience to drive it 65 ish for the entire tank on a trip it would do over 800. The interior is amazing, it rides, drives, perfect and we have had no probs what so ever... That being said maintenance is expensive and it is surely not as capable as the 10 Touareg becuase it does not have the adjustable suspension, lockers, etc. However; we have never encountered a situation where the touareg did not handle what was thrown at it.

I have always been in love with the 10 and previous diesel touaregs but they are not as refined, but again the 11 is not as off road friendly. If you want a vehicle with incredible range, and plenty of creature comfort, with great reliability I would go with the 11 and newer... ALL that being said it is still not clear if or how much the diesel controversy will effect them.

kojackJKU

NOt much at all. everyone has already forgotten it and moved on to the next thing. Remember the audi gas pedal fiasco? how about the toyota Killer vehicles?

toastyjosh

Adventurer
Go with the touareg, it is a great time to buy because of the VW crap. You can put 33 on it stock, ehxaust and a tune and your golden!

There great rigs!

clint.

Go with the touareg, it is a great time to buy because of the VW crap. You can put 33 on it stock, ehxaust and a tune and your golden!

There great rigs!

just to clarify, you cannot put 33s on a 09/10 tdi touareg with air suspension. 31s will rub at lock actually.

toastyjosh

Adventurer
My bad I swear my buddy got 265/70/18 on his. I will have to ask him next time i see him.

Still there a cool Diesel SUV!

clint.

My bad I swear my buddy got 265/70/18 on his. I will have to ask him next time i see him.

Still there a cool Diesel SUV!

it may be possible with a steel suspension and a lift. but the air suspension and intercooler vents on the 3.0 are limiting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3