Diesel Upgrade Cost - 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
Spent some time looking at trucks online earlier, and noticed that when I was building the GMC 1500, the upcharge for the diesel was ~ $2300 over the base:

1655243485748.png

When moving up to a 2500, you're looking at nearly $11k upcharge:

1655243547870.png

Is this a "because they can" scenario?

Possibly it’s due to a difference in how the engine options are positioned. A 1500/150 diesel is a alternative to a top level V8 or EcoBoost. A HD diesel is an upgrade over the standard gas engine.

GeorgeHayduke

You're paying for 2.3x as much diesel engine when you bump up in the HD case vs the LD case, plus that Allison name on the transmission, and the PTO if you opt for it. I don't know GM products as well, but on Fords you get a bigger rear axle when you switch from gas to diesel in the HD lineup, so there's extra cost there as well.

And also because they can.

Walkers

Lots changes going to the big diesel, transmissions, t cases, rear axles, drive shafts, springs, cooling system… it adds up. I‘m sure there is a perceived value up charge in there too.

UglyViking

As others have said, it's more than the engine. My understanding of the 1500 series is they reuse the same "everything" but swap in the diesel engine. There is also likely a "because they can" factor in there, as well as them trying to recoup licensing costs from the Allison name.

tacollie

Glamper
You can spec a gas F350 almost identical to a diesel F350. One big difference is a diesel F350 get you an additional 650 ft lb of torque. Which requires 1000 lbs of steel, turbos, and emissions equipment. I don't know if it's $12,000 worth of equipment or just profit for Ford.

Aside from mpgs with the 1/2 ton trucks there isn't a huge performance gap between a gas V8 and a small diesel. The Ram 3.0 eco diesel is a similar weight to the 5.7.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle