Who's building the best 3/4 Ton/ 1 Ton Gas Truck these days!

Who's building the best gas 3/4 ton / 1 Ton these days

• Ford

Votes: 51 61.4%
  • Ram

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • Chevy

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Tacos

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters

skrypj

Really it's just 149"? Wow. I'm at 157" for my F150, lol Guessing it's the smaller cab in the Ram?

Me too on the F150.

And yes, 149”. It has the same turning radius as a 145” F150 too. I think the cabs a little smaller and the bed is a little smaller at 6’-4”.

I always thought the Ford supercrew was a little excessive so im intrigued by the ram.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
The nominally "6.5 ft" beds are actually pretty different on Ram and Ford HD platforms. Ram's is 76" and Ford's is 80".

Main reason I bought an F150 when I was truck shopping was the Ford's bed length...my Yamaha Kodiak fits in the bed and I can still close the tailgate. Only way the Kodiak would fit in a Ram or GM truck bed was to leave the tailgate down and because of the rough roads I travel I couldn't have that.
P1040732r.jpg

First time I've seen anyone say this but for 20 years every Chev / GM has had a brake light or tail light out. And they never fix it. Must be 10 I see dily within a mile of home. I never see that with any other make, it is the main reason I won't even walk into a Chevy showroom.

I've not noticed this with brake lights/taillights but I have noticed that 90% of the older GM pickups I see have only one working headlight or running light.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Me too on the F150.

And yes, 149”. It has the same turning radius as a 145” F150 too. I think the cabs a little smaller and the bed is a little smaller at 6’-4”.

I always thought the Ford supercrew was a little excessive so im intrigued by the ram.
For us with two kids and a dog, the cab space in the Ford was a selling feature. Depends on your use case.

thegoldrun

I went with a 23 Ford F350 7.3L with 4.30 gearing, rear e-locker, factory winch. 4400# payload capacity. I put 1k mi on it before dropping at the shop for an OEV flatbed camper. I really like the power delivery of the Godzilla mated to the 10 speed. We’ll see soon how the driving dynamics and MPGs settle with the camper mounted. I’ve owned several Tundras 4.6L and 5.7L, GMC 3L diesel and 5.3L. The 7.3L w 4.30s pulls hard in 7th gear 50mph up 10% grade, about the same as the 3L diesel at half the MPG :)

Attachments

• IMG_3821.jpeg
    IMG_3821.jpeg
    528.1 KB · Views: 30

thegoldrun

Interesting- I thought the factory winch was only available on the tremor package.

It’s available on most/all trims but requires dual battery and dual alternator. Mine is XL STX, which includes LED headlights, 360 camera, BLIS, color matched bumpers, and rear proximity sensors. Here’s the build

Attachments

• 23.ford.xl.stx.wichita.windowsticker.jpeg
    23.ford.xl.stx.wichita.windowsticker.jpeg
    279.5 KB · Views: 43

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
It’s available on most/all trims but requires dual battery and dual alternator. Mine is XL STX, which includes LED headlights, 360 camera, BLIS, color matched bumpers, and rear proximity sensors. Here’s the build
Congrats on the truck. Those '23 SD's are really nice.
Really wish you could get the STX SD in Canada. Biggest thing for me would be the LED lights as the Ford halogens suck.
Up here you need the Lariat trim at minimum to get LED lights in SD.
I have the 360 cameras on my F150. It was a secondary thought after I submitted the order. Probably one of the things I love most.

SimplyAnAdventure

You might regret those BLIS sensors. I was originally planning on a Tremor with OEV flatbed and camper and the shop I deal with, OK4WD, told me to try really hard NOT to get BLIS sensors on the truck if installing a flatbed. The sensors are built into the taillights and without the bed you won’t use those taillights. FWIW they said they could work with it if we had too, but they said option it without if possible. I did end up abandoning the flatbed idea and ordering a Supertramp camper instead. In fact I’m in the Denver Airport right now after visiting the shop yesterday. Absolutely no regrets after seeing it in person. But just an FYI to start figuring out how to deal with BLIS monitoring.

thegoldrun

You might regret those BLIS sensors

I’m well aware and I think we have a solution. But I won’t buy a new vehicle without LED headlights and BLIS is packaged with them on the 23 unless you go cab chassis, and Ford doesn’t offer a crew 160WB cab chassis.

If anyone wants to know more about the latest on this, checkout the Ford bulletins here related to box removal https://fordbbas.com/bulletins

thegoldrun

I was originally planning on a Tremor with OEV flatbed and camper did end up abandoning the flatbed idea and ordering a Supertramp camper instead.

I’m in the mountains about 45min west of Denver. I’ve seen the Supertramp campers several times in my town out on demo runs. One of the Youtube videos was shot down the street from me. They look really nice, too bad they don’t offer a flatbed (yet). Slide-in a bit too tight for a family of 4 with 2 dogs, we’re upgrading from the OEV CampX.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I’m well aware and I think we have a solution. But I won’t buy a new vehicle without LED headlights and BLIS is packaged with them on the 23 unless you go cab chassis, and Ford doesn’t offer a crew 160WB cab chassis.

If anyone wants to know more about the latest on this, checkout the Ford bulletins here related to box removal https://fordbbas.com/bulletins

Not sure how Fords are, but check into adding the OEM headlights after the fact, so you dont end up with unwanted options

Example: I ordered my Ram in SLT trim because LED headlights were mandatory, same as you...

Long story short, found out after the fact, the Ram LED headlights, bolt and even plug right into the place of the OEM halogens, and they are fairly inexpensive at that.

I could of saved a decent chunk of change with my purchase adding the OEM LED Headlights after the fact rather than ordering the SLT trim to get them.

NOTE: No clue if Ford is the same, and if not, how much work it would be to add them after

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater

Members online