Dilemma FZJ80 or FJ55

Boss Hog

Observer
I'm heartbroken and in a quandary.
Two weeks ago, a drunk driver failed to yield and turned in front of me while I was driving my 1994 FZJ80 "Shrek". I slammed on the brakes and swerved hard to the right, but my front left bumper ended up hitting his front passenger fender of his 02 Chevy Blazer. He was arrested on the scene for DUI (with no insurance!). My insurance said the 80 is totaled. It was a daily driver, but not my only daily driver. I bought it for $1,200 and put approximately $4k into it (don't tell Mrs. Hog). I had it towed to my house, and the next morning, it fired right up like nothing was wrong and I pulled it into the garage. It wouldn't start last weekend, which concerns me a little, but I don't think it's major. At a minimum, it needs (and I have already sourced) the following:
Hood
2 Front fenders
Grill and grill support
Radiator
Headlights and corner lights
Bumper

Meanwhile, I JUST got my stalled 1969 FJ55 project "Ol Roy" running again. Zero rust on fenders or quarter panels, brand new Bobm welded floors, and a strong running 2F that was swapped in from my 78 FJ55 "Elwood". It needs the heater and defroster worked on, seat brackets welded, a new alternator, and I have to go through the process of applying for a title.

I was going to get rid of my F150 and just keep both Land Cruisers. But I have to have that as a reliable DD now. I do not have the space to keep TWO projects. HOA howled when I brought the '55 home from nuclearlemon's house. Whatever I keep has to go on the street as Mrs. Hog has been more than patient with Ol Roy taking up the garage.

Here's my dilemma: which one do I keep?? 250k miles on the 80 (I put 25k on the '80 in one year). Cheerful in all weathers. Never shirked a task. Splendid behavior. Great vehicle for camping/fishing/dog hauling AND Mrs. Hog can drive it. I don't think it will take much to bring it back, but I'm now nervous about long-term reliability. I never was before. Not even a whiff of a HG issue.

The FJ55 is an emotional attachment and although it's just metal and rubber and plastic, this thing is 4 years in the making. I'm the only one that drives it, and other than Pete (the dog), I'm the only one that rides in it. If I sell it, I doubt I'll get another. Certainly not one with a body this good.

I'm not a hardcore "off roader", but I do enjoy mild trails, road trips, and fishing/hunting specific vehicles. Keeping both isn't an option anymore. With my work/travel schedule, any project will take months. Anyone have an opinion either way?
image1.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    546.2 KB · Views: 29
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    544.6 KB · Views: 25

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
I thought this one was pretty obvious- put the 80 hardware under the 55. You're welcome.
Seriously though- sorry about your loss. Are you not getting anything from the insurance?

Boss Hog

Observer
I'm embarrassed to say I only had liability on it. It was supposed to be temporary, but Mrs. Hog forgot to add the comprehensive back on (she feels horrible). So no-nothing from insurance. I got a screaming deal on parts, so $$ isn't the issue. It's the time to do the labor and the patience of a ordinarily very patient better half.

Don't think I didn't think about the 80/55 hybrid! But damn-I just got the 55 back on the road. Besides, I don't have 1/10th the skill required to do a swap. And as much as I would love to give Redline some money to do it, that's not an option right now.

mtndude23

Observer
I say keep the 55, it's only going to get harder finding one in decent shape. 80's are pretty easy to find if you want another down the road. I went over this same kind of choice when I got my second fj60. My wife could drive a fj80, but the 60's hold a place in my heart that a 80 would never fill! I don't care if is loud, rides rough(it is a truck!) uses a lot of gas and has no creature comforts. It's a bare bones cruiser, lets you feel like you're going on an adventure-even if it's only to the store or work.

collk22

Observer
I say keep the 55, it's only going to get harder finding one in decent shape. 80's are pretty easy to find if you want another down the road. I went over this same kind of choice when I got my second fj60. My wife could drive a fj80, but the 60's hold a place in my heart that a 80 would never fill! I don't care if is loud, rides rough(it is a truck!) uses a lot of gas and has no creature comforts. It's a bare bones cruiser, lets you feel like you're going on an adventure-even if it's only to the store or work.

Agree with mtndude on this one; keep the 55.

You could always part out the 80 and use that $$$ to finish the 55, partially fund the purchase of another rig, etc.

Is the F-150 a 4x4? If yes, it could probably support most of the off-road activities you want. Alternatively, you could sell it and get something different (another LC, Tacoma, whatever) as your DD / family recreation vehicle.

DCH109

Adventurer
From a guy who is about to sell a 2007 Lariat loaded F150 4X4 to daily drive his 1986 FJ60. I say sell the 80 and build the 55 to the way you want.

Good 55s are hard to find (I wish I had that dilemma). IF your worried about the loss of the Power windows and comforts.

A conversation with my 9 year old son

Me:
I am going to see the F150 Chris to drive the Fj60 every day, what do you think.
Chris:
I agree sell it and drive the cool truck (he is 9 but has the right idea)
Me:
Well Chris the power windows, you know the button you push is not on the FJ60 they wide up.
Chris:
Motions with his arm in a circle
Me:
Right exactly like that
Chris:
That is ok daddy, think about it as a workout for your arms. Your getting exercise
Me:
could not stop laughing.

Now that is a 9 years old logic, we should all be so lucky to have the same logic.

I say go back to basics, drive the cool vehicle that gives you exercise.

Last edited:

NCFJ

Adventurer
80s are a dime a dozen, I've got 5 at the shop. Keep the 55. Life will bring you another 80 down the road at some point, odds are your looking at the 55 life will bring you. I am a great fan of the 55 and would love to put one on an 80 chassis with a swap but i'ts not that simple. It would have to be a complete hybrid because 80 axles are about 8" too wide.

On the money side, I'd say the 55 is a much better investment as well.

lugueto

Adventurer
If it me in your situation, I would ditch the non-Toyota vehicle in the garage :sombrero:

I agree with NCFJ, I would keep the 55 for being rare, especially when in rust-free condition. Plus its a pretty sweet vehicle for camping/fishing/hunting trips.

Although I must add that looks like mild damage, I don't see why it would raise concerns on long term reliability. I have seen 80s take far bigger hits and they're still ticking happily today.

Klierslc

Explorer
I know you said it isn't an option, but selling the f-150 and keeping the cruisers is the smartest option. Put the 80 in the shop and pay somebody to do the necessary things for it to be on the road. Sell the f150, pay off the work on the 80 and live happily ever after...

Boss Hog

Observer
I know you said it isn't an option, but selling the f-150 and keeping the cruisers is the smartest option. Put the 80 in the shop and pay somebody to do the necessary things for it to be on the road. Sell the f150, pay off the work on the 80 and live happily ever after...

Before the accident, I gave that serious consideration. The '80 has just at 250k miles. I felt as if I was on borrowed time with it. I was confident I had at least another 50k miles to go before anything major, but definitely nervous about having a vehicle with that many miles being my DD.

That said, I still can't choose between the 80 and 55. I've read all the comments, and even Mrs Hog agrees with this last comment: sell the truck and keep both Cruisers. I think I'm now leaning in that direction...

It sounds to me like you need an FJ60.

I've loved both 80's and 55's for many years, but I've never really given the 60 a solid look until a customer brought me one this year. The 60 has the old school style of metal and rubber, but more modern amenities than a 55. Inside it still has the truck like interior that the 80 lacks, but not so much that it's uncomfortable. To me the 60 is the perfect mix between the two era's and in a class of its own.

I realize this isn't what you're asking, but I felt compelled to comment. If I were in your shoes, I'd have to ask myself which one is more likely to be driven and enjoyed, and keep that one.

BTW - when I was in school, they taught us to spell dilemma with an N (dilemna). I still do it that way...

Boss Hog

Observer
It sounds to me like you need an FJ60...

BTW - when I was in school, they taught us to spell dilemma with an N (dilemna). I still do it that way...
Stoffregen,
Wise counsel. The rugged truck-like quality of the 55 with a slant towards the relative comfort of the 80. Something to think about. But you can't spell worth a damn...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl