disco 1 tdi in a US spec rover

piper109

Observer
Thank you ! That info is very helpful. I have been advised to put everything in a crate though I know many use a pallet. Also a crate or pallet has to be made from lumber that has a certain stamp and conform to ISPM15.
In my case I am buying from an individual so there are more things to know.
Had I known what I know now, I might have done it a different way and bought from a company that has experience of this. Hindsight is 20-20.

Steve

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Mine was on a plastic pallet (which is fine) and wrapped a gazillion times in that wide plastic wrap used for shipping. It probably could have been air dopped and landed intact.

discotdi

Adventurer
Tom what year did you ship your engine to the US? I think customs has gotten a bit nasty over the past two years. A friend had a 300tdi and tranny shipped over to the States and customs held it up for a few weeks and charged him a huge inspection and storage fee. He ended up getting a broker to handle everything for him, otherwise I am not sure he would have gotten the engine out of customs.

piper109

Observer
Everyone I have spoken to says you have to have a broker, no choice. The brokerage fee is about $125 plus there are some add-ons for some security forms etc.

Steve

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I think it was a little over a year ago.
I hope they aren't getting crazy. I still need to get a 200tdi. And would like to get a 300 for my discovery.

SKSV

This thread has encouraged a lot of dreaming...our 96DI would probably be a perfect candidate for a Tdi install some day.

But as someone mentioned above, what about a Mercedes diesel? Like from a 300D? Are they torque-y enough for the weight of the vehicle? Just wondering about something that might be more readily available in the US.

Edit: there was a guy on Land Rovers Only that talked about installing a 5cyl. Merc diesel at one point...I posted the same question there but that was in 2007 and I never saw an update.

Last edited:

Red90

Adventurer
You can, it is just a lot of custom work. Using a Rover engine means basically no custom work. You can do one in a weekend...

High Center

Adventurer
This thread has encouraged a lot of dreaming...our 96DI would probably be a perfect candidate for a Tdi install some day.

But as someone mentioned above, what about a Mercedes diesel? Like from a 300D? Are they torque-y enough for the weight of the vehicle? Just wondering about something that might be more readily available in the US.

^That was my thought exactly. There has to be a dozen of those old 300's smoking about in my area alone. I love the idea of a diesel Disco but this thread has proven that it is a bit difficult to get the engine here much less install the thing...

Last edited:

SeaRubi

Explorer
^That was my thought exactly. There have to be a dozen of those old 300's smoking about in my area alone. I love the idea of a diesel Disco but this thread has proven that it is a bit difficult to get the engine here much less install the thing...

see sticky from MercedesRover in this forum. Not a disco, but maybe it gives you some ideas. There have been quite a few GM 6.5L swaps into range rovers. the trick is having a custom spud shaft for the LT230 made up that will handle the torque.

SKSV

Yes, I saw that one...in a Series truck, right?

Didn't mean to de-rail the original poster's intention...I'd like to see more people doing the Tdi swap in the Disco soon. Keep us updated!

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
see sticky from MercedesRover in this forum. Not a disco, but maybe it gives you some ideas. There have been quite a few GM 6.5L swaps into range rovers. the trick is having a custom spud shaft for the LT230 made up that will handle the torque.

Can you point us to any information/write ups on these swaps??

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I take it you guys realise that we have ebay over here too?

a late rusty 300tdi disco can be bought for £1000, due to the salt on the roads, lots are scrapped well before the mechanicals are even well run in.

how many would fit in a container?:)

like this?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1997-LAND-ROV...ewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item3a57d3e3e5

I think bringing a whole vehicle in would be a problem for sure. Now, cut it in half, and call it "parts", and I think it's easier. I think this is definitely the way to go. Just buy the whole front half, and then you are assured to get every nut and bolt you need.

The v8 removal and engine install? Yes in one weekend. It is really very simple. The electrics, fuel, hoses, and "surprises" which cost you the entire next week.

Ok, that's more along the lines of what I was thinking.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy