Dive! Dive! Dive!

Pointdexter

dive%20flag.gif

Anyone into diving?

I got my PADI license in San Pedro, Belize during the summer and I'm looking forward to the next time I dive.

I'm also thinking of getting my own BCD, anyone have some names I should look into?

Cody1771

Explorer
been diving for a few years now, have advanced, and several specialties and a few dives towards my masters

Blain

Adventurer
I got my open water certification a few weeks ago. I'm hooked!!! :wings:

I eventually want to get my own gear, take some more advanced courses, and get into underwater welding.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Took a course several years ago during undergrad in florida. Did all the classtime, the final exam dives and all through a local scuba shop that was offering PADI certification.

Went to a PADI dive area during a vacation to the bahamas to find out i was never entered into the system. Neither was anyone that took the class with me. Scuba shop closed its doors a few days after we took the class.

:(

-Sam

smslavin

Adventurer
Anyone into diving?

Naui instructor for over 10 years. Haven't been on SCUBA, or teaching, much the past few years because of time constraints with the kids. Still free diving quite a bit as it's a bit easier to just go. Took my oldest daughter (she's 8) snorkeling for the first time about a month ago.

Best thing I ever did was get certified on a closed circuit rebreather. Set up and tear down is a little involved but once you're out there, there's nothing like being silent and having 4-6 hours of air on your back.

Honu

lost on the mainland
taught for 15 years in the islands :) PADI instructor got my instructor in 1991
quit teaching about 5 years ago though
mostly Maui but also in Micronesia for a short stint and a year in Bay Island of Honduras Utila to be exact

not sure how many dives well over 5000 ?
been diving since about 1981 though also did a lot of diving in the Puget Sound but prefer warm water :)

also a huge free diver or was :) heheh
poke 100 feet easy on my own used to go to about 120 or so wanted to try some sleds and see how deep I could go ?
but more to do around 30 feet and 50 feet etc.. longer times
we used to free dive cathedrals off Lanai all the time if anyone has been to those ? I lived on Lanai so was my back yard
was more into the 3-4 minute long free dives back then than depth
we did some anchors before as ballast and got pretty deep but never official stuff but been over 220 feet

nothing like grabbing a anchor and going for a ride :) hehheheh

the other fun thing we did a lot of was some of the lava walls we would drop a belt of about 30+ lbs or so at the bottom of a ledge then swim down and put it on then climb the ledge !!!
pretty fun cause you could kinda jump up and grab but not to much cause of the weight

this is when I was in shape and would sink with 4 lbs of lead on me though :)

for BCD I liked Seaquest before when working I wold go try a bunch out and try to rent a few see how you like them ?
simple and clean is what I like it has to hold your tank and float you and keep you trimmed thats about it :)
so for rec diving I like clean and simple and not cluttered

I used to do wrecks a lot so had some killer wings once you get into multi tanks and junk the gear gets specialized and hold more things
DUI or OMS or Dive Rite products were the main stuff I used a lot

Lynn

Expedition Leader
PADI open water, PADI altitude, YMCA advanced open water (I highly recommend YMCA certification courses). Been diving about 15 years.

I'm also thinking of getting my own BCD, anyone have some names I should look into?

I agree with Honu that simple is good. For example, when I first got certified I went all-out and bought a great looking BC that was nearly bomb-proof, but it had a subtle drawback... Padded shoulder straps, padded back, and padded cumberbund. But padding should be good, yes?

I later bought a vintage BC that is just a simple plastic tank holder, web straps, and a bladder (wing). In comparing the two, I found that while the vintage BC is neutrally buoyant, the extra padding and stuff on the new BC made it about 3# positive. That means with the padded BC I had to carry an extra 3# of lead just to sink the BC. Now, 3# doesn't seem like a whole lot, but the more weight you carry, the harder it is to control your buoyancy*.

Plus the dry weight was about 2# more than the vintage BC. So in total I was lugging an unneccessary 7# across the beach, and up into the boat at the end of a long day of diving... And the padding isn't necessary, IMO. For one thing, I'll never dive without at least a thin shorty wetsuit, and that provides plenty of padding.

The closest thing to my vintage BC that is commonly available is the backplate and wing approach (r.e. the brands Honu mentioned). Unfortunately, they are considered 'tech gear,' so are really expensive for what they are. A new BC is in the neighborhood of $700. I bought my new-old-stock vintage rig for $30. :)

*technically, simplifying buoyancy control isn't really a matter of reducing weight, but it does help if you can eliminate unnecessary compressible stuff like padding. Compressible stuff changes it's bouancy with changes in depth, which requires more air in the BC, which, in turn, compounds the problem in a snowball effect. I know, TMI. :)

Honu

lost on the mainland
Ditto Lynn

one more thing about trying before you buy :) is to see how you float in it ?

wings are great for my own diving but working in them sucks cause you float face down ! while on the dive it really trims you out :)

but where you dive ? on Maui I used a 2/3mil in summer a 3/4 or thicker in winter
in cold waters a DUI dry suit shell and could then control my under layer for warmth I mostly dove in the winters in cold water as the clarity is better

so a light weight tropical BCD might not have the lift you need for colder water full wetsuit or drysuit diving and a cold water will be huge to fit over that thick suit and or drysuit and you will be swimming in it if tropical stuff is what you want to dive !!!!

but ditto the padding stuff ? some of it gets to be to much and it seems like your gear takes for ever to dry out etc..

the reasons I used to like seaquest is they were a company that thought about how the BCD inflated !
take a BCD off the shelf do the cumber bund and strap and then inflate it !
most pinch off seaquest fill in kinda round ? I imagine more are doing this now but its interesting to see !!!
wings of course only inflate on back ! but get wings when you are advanced !!! and as a second set not beginners tools

but inflating them without you in it is interesting to see how your body would fit inside ?

again I have been out of the buying market for a while ?

also instructors get their gear super cheap and the companies pro deal you out all the time if you are a hard working instructor depending on the shop ? sometimes you get free stuff

so listening to a store instructor I would take that with a knowing that !!!!!
again it could be good info but just good to know like any industry they can push things based on gifts

I was a boat guy :) so I chose what works best for me not what I was selling

one more note ? integrated weight ?????
I have that and belts and tend to balance the two depending on need
but boat people hate integrated as lifting your tank and weight is back breaking
while marked well release systems on BCD are not universal and can be more confusing for someone needing to ditch your weight so make sure your buddy would know your release !!!!
everyone knows how to release a belt
it also ads more complexity to the BCD ? cables or velcro and straps and pockets and things sticking out etc..

you will get mixed reviews the upside is all in one comfort and it can be comfy as no belt is on you in super cold water no re tightening belt as you go down deeper and get suit crunch but in cold water that tank and weight can be killer to lift on your back !!!!

again I have both and use both for the pros and cons so not saying stay away just saying think about both sides :)

the hassles of weight in cold water I like integrated !
for warm water I like belts

for me the gear in order of course is mask fins and a spare mask !!!!! and your own wetsuit or drysuit etc.. buy your own weight ? its cheap enough and you can set it up for you where you like etc..
then regulator setup with a good computer
then BCD
then tanks ?

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Just for a visual, the vintage BC I was talking about is like the one in this old Sportsways ad (except mine is all black):

!B6yvTDgEWk~$(KGrHqV,!l8Ey+jC2JuHBMybrwPEfw~~-1_12.JPG

The only current BC of this style that I'm aware of is the Aquatec X-Wing.

bc-003_detail_1.jpg

Like I said, just for a visual. I'm not promoting their products. (I would throw away the Scub-Alert honker that comes with the Aquatec. If you need a honker to get your buddies attention, you're not buddy diving... Plus it wastes air, a precious comodity when you're underwater.)

The simple straps are actually really nice. None of the compressible padding I refered to, none of the squeeze Honu refered to, and configurable. If you want a D-Ring on the right, you can put one there. If you want a pocket on the left, you can put one there.

The backplate and wing setup that we've refered to is similar, but instead of a plastic backpack, they are made from aluminum or steel. And more complicated. Almost exclusively used by tech divers.

p9.jpg

but get wings when you are advanced !!! and as a second set not beginners tools

A backplate and wing setup requires a some fine-tuning and fiddling over the first few dives. That may introduce unnecessary stress or distraction for a new diver. You'll have enough to think about. Plus they typically have a crotch strap that necessitates different emergency procedures than what you've been taught.

But you would be fine with something like the Aquatec.

I agree about taking the instructor or sales reps advice with a grain of salt. Divers are more brand-loyal than Land Rover owners :) I've had a Scubapro rep tell me I would die if I used anything but Scubapro. They'll also tell you that you will die if you buy used gear, or buy online. Scuba is about the only retail industry around that always gets full MSRP on everything.

If you do buy used or online, don't mention that fact if you take it in for service, or they'll show you the door.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I know we are getting away from BC advice you asked for, but since it has come up, I have to give my 2 psi.

for me the gear in order of course is mask fins and a spare mask !!!!! and your own wetsuit or drysuit etc.. buy your own weight ? its cheap enough and you can set it up for you where you like etc..
then regulator setup with a good computer
then BCD
then tanks ?

Personnally, I'd get regs first (after the mask and fins that you probably had to buy before you could take your cert. class). Regs are the only pieces of gear that are truely life-support equipment (well, them and tanks, but see below on tanks), and I want to know how they've been handled, when they've been serviced, and by whom. Anything else I don't mind renting, but I'm paranoid about my regs. And if you do travel, go with Scubapro. Not that you'll die if you use any others :) but Scubapro, more-so than any other brand, you can get serviced everywhere should something go wrong with them. There's a lot of talk about which regs are the best, but for a given price point, among major brands, you would be really hard-pressed to tell any difference in performance. When I first got certified I bought a top-of-the-line Beuchat reg set. High test marks from major dive magazines. 'Best regs ever.' Then I moved and no one in the area serviced them... So I sold them and got some middle-of-the-line Scubapro regs. I can still breathe (can't tell any difference), and I can get them serviced anywhere I go.

BC would probably come next, just because rental ones suck. I can tolerate a sucky BC if I have to, though. As Honu alluded in his first post, if you have a variety of dive shops in your area, get in several dives with several different styles before you commit to buying. Try weight integrated versus belt, back inflate versus jacket style, etc. You may find out you disagree with my BC advice above. You have every right to be wrong. :)

Wetsuits aren't a priority for me. If you can don a commonly-available size, wetsuits can be rented easily enough. 'Course, you have to be comfortable with the idea that someone else has pee'd in it... Probably a lot of people. :)

Computer? If you trained on dive tables, the computer can probably wait. Plan your dive with the tables and use a watch. Computers give extra bottom time due to the fact that they do continuous calculations based on exact time at each depth, but until you get some experience and get comfortable in the water you'll probably be limited by air before NDLs. NOTE that I'm not saying don't watch your NDLs, I'm saying that the extended bottom time that a computer gives would not be utilized.

Lead? if you have diving available close-by, sure. If you are a vacation diver, and especially if you fly, rent. Most resorts actualy supply lead for free. Just keep a good log of how much you need for different conditions/configurations. However, if you go with a weight-integrated BC you'll have to make sure that the destination dive shop has soft weights available. Most weight-integrated BCs don't like bricks.

Tanks I can't justify buying. Maybe if I had a compressor and lived on a beach... Unfortunately, I don't. Tank rental around here is about $10. Tank fills are about $7. So if you own, you 'save' $3 per dive. It takes a lot of dives, at $3 per dive, to pay for a $150 tank. And that doesn't factor in the cost of annual visual inspections and hydro testing every, what is it, ten? years. Factor those in and owning a tank is never cost effective. I know that this seems to run counter to my regs argument above, but tanks and their associated valves are not likely to fail catastrophically during a dive. They're much more likely to fail before the dive ever starts. Just make sure you carry extra o-rings and inspect the ones on the tank valves before mounting your regs. Oh, and if you fly, and if the airline even allows tanks, you have to have the valve removed from the tank so it can be inspected. And anytime you have the valve off of the tank you're supposed to get it inspected by the dive shop...

I've never been worried enough to carry a spare mask, even though I use a prescription mask and am blind as a bat. I take care of my mask, and it is extremely unlikely to fail. Even if it were to fail, or get knocked off and I loose it, I feel confident I could get back to the surface just fine. However, if I did more dive travel I would probably get a spare, since I couldn't rent a prescription mask and I wouldn't want a lost mask to ruin an entire vacation.

Drysuits require additional training. Suggest you get a lot of dives under your belt, and really get your bouyancy nailed down, before you consider a drysuit. With a drysuit you have to manage the air in the suit in addition to the air in your BC. Matter of fact, I think drysuit cert requires advanced OW cert. Or at least a minumum numer of logged dives.

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
never fly with lead !!! that would be silly for sure ;)

I think we are on the same page the only thing about your own dry or wetsuit in cold water is it will keep you warm :)

tropics not a big deal :) but again I know the locations I worked and boats I worked the suits were usually beat junk ?

our loaner regs though were top notch all the time as they had to be and we sent them out to a shop anytime any one little thing was wrong
in Honduras I am cert tech for a lot of gear so I was one of the main guys working on stuff and kept them up and would breathe off them myself but still not the best stuff :)

another travel tip is have your own mouthpieces :)

its a personal choice at this stage :) but one thing never skimp on your gear you dont have to buy the most expensive but buy quality stuff

I guess maybe I should say buy a BCD last after all your other gear :) and tanks only if you have a reason to ?

spare mask is nice ? again I am coming at it maybe from a angle where this was my life for 15 years and traveling places you go under the water to see a spare mask is cheap insurance to have ?
if you are not doing much ? yeah maybe over kill ?
I used to get countless times having to get masks for divers that broke theirs or something happened to theirs and they hated the masks we had
and never to dive with but to have say you go on a live aboard ! or locations like when I lived on Utila for a year we had masks but they were junk to loan so I guess the spare mask is depends on where you are diving ;)
drive way out to a location a buddy drops his tank on your mask ! YIKES no dive ! and I have seen this happen more than a few times !!!!

got to say I do miss that life :) being a working instructor on boats is a kick in the pants and a great way to get in the water every day for me it was a way to bring my camera underwater

I have seen some really cool things and it has opened doors that are amazing

my greatest diver ever was to be invited to dive on the USS Arizona Memorial and allowed to bring my camera !!! that is something nobody gets to do besides the underwater archeologists :)

Lynn

Expedition Leader
On the spare mask thing, I should say that I do carry an extra mask strap. And extra fin straps. I recommend you build your own 'save a dive' kit, based on possible failure points of the gear you have. You can buy a generic one, but it could provide a false sense of security, since the items in the kit may not work with your particular gear.

Blain

Adventurer
Got certified a few weeks ago, and I absolutely love it! I really, really enjoy it!
Looking into underwater welding schools right now, as I allready have a good amount of welding school under my belt.

Honu

lost on the mainland
one other thing for your dive kit is a med kit with your basics
good tip is tincture of benzoin works great to protect skin and allow band aids to stick !!!!!!
small nicks and cuts in most tropical waters can get infected quickly so first aid cream and bandaids are nice to have also

Lynn

Expedition Leader
It seems Pointdexter, the OP, hasn't been back.

Honu, do you think we overwhelmed him? We got a little carried away, me thinks...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk