do the 100 series come in a manual?

Ducks

Adventurer
I'd always miss shifting through the gears. I've owned autos at different times but always prefer the manual. Very annoying that Toyota, except for the 4 cylinder Tacomas, are autos.

cruiser guy

Explorer
Cruiser99 said:
Hey Charles,

How good do you thing these Guatemala mechanics in planting a manual in my trucK,

Doron.

Do you want manual or manual and turbo-diesel? I'm sure it could be done but with the newness of the vehicle finding things like the pedal bucket could be troublesome. The tranny could be a Japanese takeout, there's lots of places selling Japanese engines and trannies. I can't see it being too tough to do a swap.

4Rescue said:
Actualy for those of us who row our own, it IS too bad.

I hate Autos, and I'm not likely to ever change my mind. They add an element of wear and a possible massive weak link in drivetrains. They may make crawling smoother, but my 2 feet can do it just as well ;)

Cheers

Dave

I'm with you Dave. I MUCH prefer the manual tranny. I've seen folks who are DOA with an auto when one gear fails. I personally have driven from Mazatlan, Mexico to Vancouver, B.C. with my truck in only 3rd and 4th (1st, 2nd and reverse were not accessable). With an auto I've have been at the mercy of whatever mechanic I could find in Mazatlan as it is I drove home and fixed it on my own in about an hour and for $20 of parts.

Last edited:

ginericLC

Adventurer
4Rescue said:
Actualy for those of us who row our own, it IS too bad.

I hate Autos, and I'm not likely to ever change my mind. They add an element of wear and a possible massive weak link in drivetrains. They may make crawling smoother, but my 2 feet can do it just as well ;)

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

I'd disagree with you on the wear and weak link. These are Land Cruisers not some POS GM tranny. I've put over 150,000 miles on 80 series A442 and A440 trannies with no problems, and both of the rigs had perfectly functioning trannies that were never a problem when I sold them at 234k and 254k. I've had more wear from my Cruisers that need clutches replaced eventually than any Toyota auto I've owned. And Synchros, talk about a wear item. If you dislike them that is fine, but your logic of wear and weak link is a little weak if you ask me. I'm not a huge auto fan myself, (we drive a VW Passat instead of a Camry because the Camry isn't available in a manual), but in the big heavy Land Cruiser wagons they are hard to beat for ease of use and reliability.

Eric V.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
ginericLC said:
Dave,

I'd disagree with you on the wear and weak link. These are Land Cruisers not some POS GM tranny. I've put over 150,000 miles on 80 series A442 and A440 trannies with no problems, and both of the rigs had perfectly functioning trannies that were never a problem when I sold them at 234k and 254k. I've had more wear from my Cruisers that need clutches replaced eventually than any Toyota auto I've owned. And Synchros, talk about a wear item. If you dislike them that is fine, but your logic of wear and weak link is a little weak if you ask me. I'm not a huge auto fan myself, (we drive a VW Passat instead of a Camry because the Camry isn't available in a manual), but in the big heavy Land Cruiser wagons they are hard to beat for ease of use and reliability.

Eric V.
While I enjoy your anti-GM sentiment, and I clearly LOVE Toyotas... Unless Toyota has reinvented the Auto tranny, it still is a major weak link no matter what it's in. I'm glad to hear that your tranny's have held up, but I wonder if slogging through S. America would change some of that longevity. Bands wear at an exponentialy greater rate than syncros. My runner has 250K+ on the Body and tranny... No wear, great engagement love the tranny. Put it this way, there's a direct connection between the motor and the rear wheels with a manual. Can't say the same about an auto. Plus how much extra stress do you think it puts on the breaks not having compression braking? I'll give you a hint, it starts wit A and ends with LOT...

To each their own, but I'll die happily rowing through the gears for the rest of my life.

Cheers

DAve

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Cruiser99 said:
Hey Charles,

How good do you thing these Guatemala mechanics in planting a manual in my trucK,

Doron.

Doron,

I'm not sure if they used the same 5spd with the V8. You can source the parts from Australia if you know someone over there perhaps.

ginericLC

Adventurer
Of course it is possible to break anything and conditions greatly affect the longevity of anything. There have been very few LC auto trannies that have caused problems for owners. Go to Ih8mud.com and do a search. The ones I know of grenading had high HP mods done to the trucks and involved wreckless carefree drivers. Even looking to Australia, there are very few failures.

While I do not agree with your argument with them being a weak link in the system, I certainly can sympathize with your reasoning of having a direct drivetrain and compression braking as a reason to go with a manual.

Good luck in your search!

Cruiser99

calamaridog said:
Doron,

I'm not sure if they used the same 5spd with the V8. You can source the parts from Australia if you know someone over there perhaps.

Engine/tranny swap is just a thought that have been brewing in my head.

My rig, which is heavily modified and sees mostly expedition type use, has 65K miles. I cannot tell the difference in its operation between now and when I bought in brand new 9 years ago. I do here about transmission failure in these trucks though, which in my case will be disastrous because of the way I use the truck.

Hence, the thought.

Ducks

Adventurer
calamaridog said:
Doron,

I would assume they are the same one - H151.

Last edited:

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Cruiser99 said:
Engine/tranny swap is just a thought that have been brewing in my head.

My rig, which is heavily modified and sees mostly expedition type use, has 65K miles. I cannot tell the difference in its operation between now and when I bought in brand new 9 years ago. I do here about transmission failure in these trucks though, which in my case will be disastrous because of the way I use the truck.

Hence, the thought.

Mine has 140k and works great. I bet you could replace it with a new one for much less than the swap!

Transmission, land cruiser 98-99 $2,379.14 - core $1,000.00 = $1,843.83

Plus some labor;)

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Ducks said:
I would assume they are the same one - H151.

Well, it's either the H151F, R151F, or H150F is that helps:D. Are the AU ones right hand drive? That may complicate finding a pedal assembly...

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
calamaridog said:
Are the AU ones right hand drive? That may complicate finding a pedal assembly...
Pedals are in the same place, unless it's bolt up issue, I'd guess that they use the same assembly and just bolt it to the other side. I can't see why on earth they'd make a whole new assembly just for RHD's. Course I can't figure out why we cant get all the cool trucks we want here in N. America either but that's another issue eh ;)

Cheers

Dave

Ducks

Adventurer
calamaridog said:
Well, it's either the H151F, R151F, or H150F is that helps:D. Are the AU ones right hand drive? That may complicate finding a pedal assembly...

The H151F is for petrol. The R151F is for diesel. And I assumed that we were talking about the V8 petrol 100-series not the diesel 70-series which would discount the H150F. Also RHD and LHD don't matter for transmissions.

cruiser guy

Explorer
The auto trannies, for the most part, are quite reliable but an auto tranny from any manufacturer, when it loses a gear you are DOA until it's fixed. Not so with a manual tranny.

Here in Central America I'm told that they kept the old 3 speed far longer than we did simply because it was easier to fix in the feild. I don't think anyone is going to be fixing an auto tranny beside the road!

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
4Rescue said:
Pedals are in the same place, unless it's bolt up issue, I'd guess that they use the same assembly and just bolt it to the other side. I can't see why on earth they'd make a whole new assembly just for RHD's.

Ducks said:
Also RHD and LHD don't matter for transmissions.

I agree it makes sense but I don't know.

Ducks

Adventurer
calamaridog said:
I agree it makes sense but I don't know.

The transmission is exactly the same. The pedal / clutch assembly may be different. I'm putting in an h41 from Australia in my fj60 - they have the same shift pattern. Also the pedals are in the same orientation RHD or LHD - clutch on the left, gas on the right.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3