Do you bring milk?

ab1985

Explorer
Be happy with your food, and that you have enough of it... and feel no need to evangelize. I enjoy my milk; you enjoy your food, and we can all tout our favorites without stress and dire warnings... that we may all be truly thankful?

This is how I feel, and I decided not to post again to avoid egging on a debate. I know plenty of people who are as passionate about diet and exercise as others are about politics and religion, and I feel it's inappropriate to use this forum as a platform.

And I'll just leave it at that. Cheers. :beer:

fisher205

Explorer
I always bring a chicken.

I pulled through the Painted Lakes Campground in the Big Horns of Wyoming once and a campsite had chickens in cages. They also had regular mattresses on the ground, and I think their was a banjo leaning against the tree. So I decided to check out another campground.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I pulled through the Painted Lakes Campground in the Big Horns of Wyoming once and a campsite had chickens in cages. They also had regular mattresses on the ground, and I think their was a banjo leaning against the tree. So I decided to check out another campground.

Lol. Must have been someone's home.

Found a similar place. Actually traded some MILK for fresh eggs. Their chickens were running wild though. The trade was great. We collected our own eggs and traded the same volume for milk. I argued that an egg weighs about an OZ once separated from the shell. He agreed. 32oz in a quart - The guy laughed and told the kids to find 10 eggs each for a total of 40. Great trade.

That's pretty cool. I just started using fresh eggs from my dads chickens since price of eggs have gone up so much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

adam88

Explorer
I can't live without milk. I like skim milk. I can drink 1% (partly skimmed) but 2% is too thick. I can't drink any shelf stable stuff. I was in Europe recently and they don't even have skim milk there, and all their milk tasted awful. I think all they sell there is shelf stable stuff. I guess not as much land as in the US and there's no cows in the Czech Republic I'm guessing so it all gets shipped in. I don't know what's wrong with me but yeah, skim milk.... love it. Can drink a whole gallon. Probably something wrong with me for sure. I don't even drink it to be healthy (and I doubt it is healthy to be honest... I've heard the fat in milk is good for you, and skim milk has no fat). Oh well.

KevinsMap

Adventurer
I was in Europe recently and they don't even have skim milk there, and all their milk tasted awful. I think all they sell there is shelf stable stuff. I guess not as much land as in the US and there's no cows in the Czech Republic I'm guessing so it all gets shipped in.

Oh, no... ? Well, perhaps, but consider:

I cannot speak personally for the Czech Republic (though I have not heard or read anything like this description before); but for the rest of the north, above the Alps, to Switzerland, France, England, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Sweden... oh heck, just "etc.". That Europe I can speak of from long experience. Milk there is REAL. Skim milk? Not really their thing, on the whole (pun intended). Milk in Europe is milk at at outdoor market square, or the local dairy store, or a farmers market among the cheese and butter vendors; its full, rich, farm-fresh best. 1% milk is from a supermarket. The stabilized stuff is a cheaper and convenient. Some people prefer these, though, and that's just Personal Taste at work. No worries. That personal taste factor, your 1% preference, is what has fooled you about milk quality; when straight from the cow, farm fresh Milk really just does not taste much like our 1% stuff. Not even after you skim the cream. And, whew, do you have to do some skimming to get down to 1%!

Now I would be amazed, if crossing the border from Austria, all those ubiquitous Alpine cows suddenly vanished ;-) once I found myself in the Czech Republic. How would they make the Tvaroh cheeses? Of course, maybe that is where all the milk has gone; It is certainly that way south of the Alps. Italians don't drink much milk... but cheese?

After all, we (the human species) developed our tolerance for lactose in... Europe, roughly 7000 years ago. Not everyone is lactose tolerant, but the hard core of that genetic trait is to be found in northern Europe. Europe "invented" Milk :)

Last edited:

KevinsMap

Adventurer
The Other Milk...

No, not goat. Goats are fine, but... I was thinking about Italy (and I love thinking about Italy ;-) for my post above, and it occurred to me that I should put in a good word for our intrepid (possibly insane) distant ancestors who first gave us Milk. Why insane?

Give a big "Howdy" to these girls, the native Italian Water Buffalo:

water_buffalo600x450.jpg

This is the only source of real Italian Mozzarella Cheese. Please try to imagine our ancestors, 6 or 8 or 10 thousand years ago, milking their wild ancestors? Think cattle were easier? Meet the Aurochs, now extinct, and the native european ancestor that contributed the foundation genetics of our modern cattle - next to the larger of our more modern breeds:

the_domestication_of_the_auroch_by_paperspiders-d7dhrm6.jpg

Lascaux_painting.jpg

Our ancestors were not crazy. Just really, really focused on food. Making it through the winter. Or 'till next week. With that motivation, you too might learn how to milk a Water Buffalo. Or die trying ;-)

Got Milk?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman