Do You Keep A Backup/Emergany Kit?

tarditi

Explorer
I have several - my "ditch bag" is a maxped versipack jumbo in the back with enough gear to get me 72 hours.
I also keep a smaller bag in the center console in the event I become trapped in the vehicle and cannot get to the back - for this reason I also keep several water bottles in within arms reach.

A few first aid kits, several larger go bags about the house.

... and that's enough information. Move along. ;-)

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
At my previous job, There were numerous time(close to 10 if I remember right), that I would drive to within a mile of work, and they would call to cancel because of snow.

I only mentioned the staying home portion, because many of the folks that end up stuck, were out joy riding, or just being mindless.

Being in Maine, I am somewhat assuming you would have roughly the same amount of snow, depending on if you are coastal, northern, southern, whatever. You receive that heavy wet shyte? I did forget to mention that I had tire-wires, and need to purchase another full set of wires before winter.

Another thing I always see folks screwing up on, is that in large vehicle(trucks and SUVs), folks put mudders on, and call it good in snow. WHoop! Unless you happen to be driving on feet of snow, you want to do your best to dig down to the improved surfaces with tall and skinny tires.

When I move back to the tundra, I am going to purchase a set of Nordic skis to keep in my car, cuz I am getting to the point in life where that would just be easier if the car is stucked.

Just a question, but why would your employers not have at least an extra person on standby?

With the amount of training and money it would cost for maybes it would not be worth it. I was paid a hefty amount to do what I did and to be there all the time, it wasn't a job just anyone could pick up and do sometimes. The rules, laws, regulations, procedures, etc was outrageous. Constant contact with other agencies to resolve certain issues makes it impossible for a standby employee.

I am in the central area, we get a good amount of snow. It can be dry it can be wet. Places i travel in winter it is not uncommon to find 6+ feet in areas. I keep 4 full tire chains with v bars (ice diggers) in my jeep along with traction boards. My highlift and multiple straps/shackles, etc stay as well. I have bfg mts on all year, it is not out of the ordinary for me to drive through a foot to two feet of snow. I often pull people from ditches during winter, shovel stays in just for that.

libarata

Expedition Leader
With the amount of training and money it would cost for maybes it would not be worth it. I was paid a hefty amount to do what I did and to be there all the time, it wasn't a job just anyone could pick up and do sometimes. The rules, laws, regulations, procedures, etc was outrageous. Constant contact with other agencies to resolve certain issues makes it impossible for a standby employee.

I am in the central area, we get a good amount of snow. It can be dry it can be wet. Places i travel in winter it is not uncommon to find 6+ feet in areas. I keep 4 full tire chains with v bars (ice diggers) in my jeep along with traction boards. My highlift and multiple straps/shackles, etc stay as well. I have bfg mts on all year, it is not out of the ordinary for me to drive through a foot to two feet of snow. I often pull people from ditches during winter, shovel stays in just for that.

This past winter, due to lack of sleep, and frustration, I found that my Forester eats through at least 20 inches of snow without a grunt. A snow shovel, kitty litter, sometimes cardboard, traction boards, branches all being used at once to yank that crazy Geo Metro driver out!

I had never used chains, but I have made extensive use of cables out icefishing.

The issue I always see folks with mudders on, is that A. they gas the snot out of their vehicles B. they think they can stop. C. no chains or cables. Slow your roll, plan 3x as far as you normally would for start and stop. Chains will help for sure, but not if you start spinning them thar tires!

6ft is about what we received at one time when we first moved to WI. Now, the temperatures are too low for it to consider snowing and it stays around 2 feet at a time in a moderate winter.

kpredator

Adventurer
good thread

myself for winter i carry sleeping bag,sorrels,coveralls,candles.extra fuel.shovel,chain.

what i have experienced. what is mostly needed is knowledge.cant count the number of times
have came across people trying to leave vehicle in -10 to -20 degree weather.
found one lady walking in the snow barefoot ,she lost her high heels in the snow.
have talked at length with wife and kids about being prepared and staying with vehicle.
a lot of people i have come across were guilty of making unnecessary trips for the road conditions
jm2c
kp

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I grew up in Indiana and currently live in OK. Winters aren't that bad, but I always keep an extra blanket in my Bronco, summer or winter. I also keep a set of work boots in there from when I was in basic training. I got two sets of combat boots, but as a an aircraft maintainer, I require and am issued steel toes, so the training boots were barely used. Plus they were treated to be water resistant so they work great for when I need dry shoes/boots. Along with a couple of ponchos I was also issued, I'm set for most wet weather around here.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
$20, a chocolate bar, a pair of nylons, and a condom.

Oops; wrong forum.
I always have half of my camping gear in the Jeep. Water is the most essential.
Charged cel phone, cb, credit card, change of clothes. Around here you can walk to a McDonalds from just about any "wilderness" area in half a day anyhow...
When I venture farther I take more.

:D Hahahaha!!

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
Winter "kit" for NY

<edit - Hey! I meant to make a happy smiley! not a frowny smiley! So please turn monitor upside down when reading the title. Thank you>

Long time lurker here, have benefited a lot from the site...thought I was due to add something back.

I think the answer to the kit mostly depends on where you are and what season it is. Here in the northeast, in the spring/summer, I'm fine w/ just some water for a few days. Pretty sure that no one that could walk and had half a clue ever died because they couldn't find water during the non-freeing seasons. It's a cool, wet, climate.

But winter? Slide off the road, down a hill in the snow, and it could be a while before anyone finds you. A few years ago a school bus took a wrong turn and ended up lost and stuck in the snow, in an area with no radio or cell coverage. It's hilly, there are lots of places like that. Major search effort, serious problem, but a good ending...local searchers on snowmobiles found them in a couple of hours. This is about 15 miles away from the state capital, btw.

Here's what I carry in my truck when I'm paying attention in the winter:

heavy wind/waterproof parka w/ hood - always carried in truck if not wearing it
hunting boots, waterproof, insulated - always carried in truck in winter if not wearing
full sized bath towel - always carried in truck, any season
5w handheld 2m ham radio w/ lithium batteries & local repeaters programmed - always carried in winter, yep have license
northface down sleeping bag, rated about -30 - when I'm paying attention, always carried in winter
small shovel - carried in winter
waterproof leather palmed insulated gloves - always carried in winter
2 20oz sport bottles of water - always carried
50w 2m radio w/ permanent antenna - installed as soon as I get my act together
LED flashlight w/ AA lithium batteries, either Underwater Kinetics or a AA maglight w/ LED kit - always in truck
leatherman tool - always in truck

If I'm going camping or otherwise into bad country, I'll add a small emergency kit, with contains multiple fire starting items (spark-lite, tinder, bic lighter, wp matches, birthday candles), signaling (orion whistle, good signal mirror, AA strobe), some water tablets, cord, small gerber knife, etc.

I probably should carry some hand warmers. I don't carry space blankets...to me, for here, they're kinda like bringing a bb-gun to a naval battle.

To me the danger is in underestimating the cold, especially cold w/ wind and if you're wet. I remember the stories from wwii, of if you want to disable a soldier, you don't take his rifle, you take his boots. Having warm dry feet in an otherwise lousy situation is a good thing. Trying to walk just a couple of blocks for help in the snow in tennis shoes is just freakin miserable.

Anyway, with a good coat and hood or hat and boots, if I'm healthy I can walk out if help is close and it's not snowing too bad, and I'm sure I'll survive just fine if I stay in the truck out of the wind and stay awake. Been there and done it. With the sleeping bag? I'd be comfy and warm.

For 24-48 hours, I'm not worried about food, with the adrenaline boost I'll be fine. Not having much water means minor dehydration maybe, but as long as I'm not eating anything I'll be fine. (NOTE: This is just me here, taking my own assessment of person risk based on my metabolism and experience in this climate. NOT transferable to anyone else.)

The plan - stay warm and dry until the weather breaks. Then reach out for help when it's daylight and the weather breaks.

Hope my first post isn't too long winded and boring, and that it maybe helps somebody!

Tom

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
next time you go camping for fun try to use it see how it goes ? try the space blanket see how long ya can go then hit the warm sleeping bag meaning don't ruin your camping trip but make it fun
eat the food drink the water then replace it of course :)

start the fire with the kit I got really good with that but with so many burn bans here ? I don't start fires much at all anymore

kinda opens your eyes to how things really work for ya kinda thing :)

also some of us with families ? while we can tough it a 5 year old can't so easy which is always my worries these days as a dad with kids
OH also pack dog stuff for the dogs :) turn it into a camping trip roughing style :)

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
next time you go camping for fun try to use it see how it goes ? try the space blanket see how long ya can go then hit the warm sleeping bag meaning don't ruin your camping trip but make it fun
eat the food drink the water then replace it of course :)

start the fire with the kit I got really good with that but with so many burn bans here ? I don't start fires much at all anymore

kinda opens your eyes to how things really work for ya kinda thing :)

also some of us with families ? while we can tough it a 5 year old can't so easy which is always my worries these days as a dad with kids
OH also pack dog stuff for the dogs :) turn it into a camping trip roughing style :)

I actually do not carry a space blanket to crawl inside of. I have a sleep system inside my jeep in the winter, during summer it is just a patrol bag.

I keep the space blankets around for a free reasons: fire reflector, signaling reflector, waterproof footprint if I need to be outside/sleep outside (also will help to insulate from cold ground, or you can cut it up and tape it against the windows), etc etc. If you needed to it could become a rain fly with the addition of a few rocks and string, could be a rain collector, tons of uses for a strong reflective, flexible sheet.

If you have the time and have the ability (when I am traveling north in the winter I always keep my dragonfly and some pots in my jeep), you can boil up some water, dump it in a nalgene and stick it in a space blanket with you if you had no other option. I do this cold weather camping in sleeping bags. I put one in before I plan to go to sleep then put new hot water in right as I get in.

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
Absolutely true there are lots of uses for a space blanket.

My point was that they come up a lot on lists, and some people may assume that they're somehow equivalent to a sleeping bag...and of course they're not. In terms of shelter and keeping warm, the big things that a space blanket has is being wind and waterproof, and providing a minimal amount of insulation by trapping some air close to you. The big advantage is they're so small and compact, and inexpensive, that you can easily carry one while hiking. But in terms of insulation, there's almost nothing there. Inside a car or truck, where you have a wind and rain block, you'd be way better off with an extra sweatshirt or sweater, or some long underwear. I'm sure everybody here knows that, but those reading the forums and not familiar w/ how cold it is up here...and much more so in Maine..may not.

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
Absolutely true there are lots of uses for a space blanket.

My point was that they come up a lot on lists, and some people may assume that they're somehow equivalent to a sleeping bag...and of course they're not. In terms of shelter and keeping warm, the big things that a space blanket has is being wind and waterproof, and providing a minimal amount of insulation by trapping some air close to you. The big advantage is they're so small and compact, and inexpensive, that you can easily carry one while hiking. But in terms of insulation, there's almost nothing there. Inside a car or truck, where you have a wind and rain block, you'd be way better off with an extra sweatshirt or sweater, or some long underwear. I'm sure everybody here knows that, but those reading the forums and not familiar w/ how cold it is up here...and much more so in Maine..may not.

I think a lot of those people just grab them based on the package. There is not a single thing I keep on me, in my jeep, or in my pack that does not serve at least 2 purposes. The key to all of this is not only knowing HOW to use everything the way it is intended, but also HOW to give that item or items multiple uses. This is where I think gear junkies get in over their head. They buy the best and nicest things money can buy in hopes to save them from a situation but without any knowledge it is useless.

The person that can take a set of items that can fit in say an ammo can, but has in-depth knowledge on how to use it all and make everything work for him will always be better off than the guy with a truck full of gear that is working for all the technology.

Honu

lost on the mainland
kinda why i said try that space blanket then give up and crawl in your bag :) kinda in a sarcastic way :) ahhahaha

agree on uses an knowing why I say in general people should play with the gear :)

libarata

Expedition Leader
As we are nearly all vehicle based, the size, and weight constraint will not beat us into the smallest package available. I see a forum member from Maine, and Upstate NY. They are probably very comparable to Northern Wi in many regards. I kept two space blankets in my truck, because why not? They weigh but a few ounces, and take up such little space. I usually kept them right next to a cheapo Wal-Mart rain suit in a sack. As noted, they will not come close to a real sleeping bag, but have you folks tried wrapping yourself in the space blanket, and then climbing in your bag, while draping the other one on the outside? You will have to cool yourself down considerably!

Another thing I started keeping in my vehicle, are a few reusable handwarmers. http://hotsnapz.com/ toss em in some boiling water, and they are ready to rock. Toss them in at your feet, place them in your arm pits/groin, and they will help fight off hypothermia.

The last thing I suggest for the Northern fella's, is a good set of tire chain/cable. I have never had to use mine, but I know a few folks who would have been stuck in the tundra without em.

java

Expedition Leader
As we are nearly all vehicle based, the size, and weight constraint will not beat us into the smallest package available. I see a forum member from Maine, and Upstate NY. They are probably very comparable to Northern Wi in many regards. I kept two space blankets in my truck, because why not? They weigh but a few ounces, and take up such little space. I usually kept them right next to a cheapo Wal-Mart rain suit in a sack. As noted, they will not come close to a real sleeping bag, but have you folks tried wrapping yourself in the space blanket, and then climbing in your bag, while draping the other one on the outside? You will have to cool yourself down considerably!

Another thing I started keeping in my vehicle, are a few reusable handwarmers. http://hotsnapz.com/ toss em in some boiling water, and they are ready to rock. Toss them in at your feet, place them in your arm pits/groin, and they will help fight off hypothermia.

The last thing I suggest for the Northern fella's, is a good set of tire chain/cable. I have never had to use mine, but I know a few folks who would have been stuck in the tundra without em.

Can I add that if your really going out in the snow, carry a FULL set of chains, IE 4. And at least put them on in the driveway once or twice....

libarata

Expedition Leader
Well, four chains/cable if you have some version of 4x4/AWD or another. Two and some wood&bolts traction boards if you only have 2x4. A REAL full sized shovel is a MUST. You know, as many times as I tested my cables out in the driveway, the snow only made me hate thinking about them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater