Do you like Pancakes?

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Maple syrup

A friend at work just received a shipment he sent home from a vacation in New England, 1/2 GALLON! of real maple syrup. Once he saw it he realized he had bought way to much, his words not mine, how the he11 could you have too much maple syrup? Anyway I graciously offered to take some off his hands, I brought in a pint bottle. He said "Is that all you want?" tomorrow I'm bringing in a quart mason jar. :elkgrin:

FourbangerYJ

Thanks for the heads up on the bacon pancakes. We had to give it a go!
Dusy-10025.jpg

Dusy-10027.jpg

And some blueberry ones too.

Dusy-10026.jpg

:bowdown: :coffeedrink: :exclaim:

craig333

Expedition Leader
No, no pancakes. And the weird thing is I don't anyone that does. We seem to be out of the mainstream judging by this thread. I do sometimes do french toast but mostly is potatoes, bacon or sausage and eggs.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
I tried the bisquick shake-n-pour a while back. It's pretty expensive for what it is, kind of like the pressurized batter cans on the market. Personally, I like to make them from scratch. You can make them shake-n-pour by using a old water bottle (aquafina for thin batters like crepes or flapjacks, gatorade bottle for chunky stuff oatmeal stout cakes). If you are traveling without fridge, unwashed eggs, condensed milk, dry milk, or ESL milk can all be kept at room temperature. We just got back from a week on the trail, and pancakes were definately on the menu. Left the fridge and civilization behind, but still had good eats.

I had a buddy tell me it was impossible to cook good cakes on backpacking cookwear and insists on cast iron.

<snip>
I didn't like the shake and pour stuff, it was way to sweet and had to much vanilla flavor to it.

Good to know about the eggs. I've been using 2% milk in juice boxes for a couple of years now. It has the ultra pasteurized taste but it's still better than powdered.

I'm not to surprised you could cook cakes on your backpacking equipment, after all hoe cakes were made on the back of a hoe or shovel by field workers in the south.

rdraider

Adventurer
My grandfather died and took his recipe with him, haven't had really good pancakes in 25 years, although most pancakes ive had have been good. I think he used bacon drippings, buttermilk, ????

To hell with the can stuff, pioneer baking mixes rock! Pecans, caro syrup, bare rabit syrup, all good. blackberries:wings:

the beignet mix you get at the store is also good, not quite pancakes, but good with bacon!

Pretty much everything goes good with crumbled bacon!

grimbo

Explorer
homemade vanilla pancakes with bananas and lime in a caramel sauce. Dont make it often enough but geez its good

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
I love homemade pancakes with a little cinnamon and maybe some blueberries thrown in.
This thread did make me think of the most literal pancakes I've ever had.

Silverton, Colorado.
PanCAKES.

Colorado9-14-07330.jpg

At this place.
Colorado9-14-07331.jpg

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Well, actually more of a cooking method than ingredients; I use this in the pan to cook them;

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/virgin_coconut_oil.htm?s=e_042511

Besides the claimed health benefits, it has a subtle smell and taste of coconut. The other oils (pressed) dont have taste/smell, but this virgin stuff does and it results in a great, sweet pancake. Also good with omelets.
I prefer bacon grease to any type of oil. Rubbing the hot cast iron pan or griddle with a raw piece of back fat puts just the right amount on it.

ruger1

Observer
We really like New Hope Mills (a local mill in Auburn, NY) and their buckwheat pancake mix with nutmeg sprinkled in and topped with good local maple syrup. We take some just about everywhere we go on vacation because its a filling, tasty & cheap breakfast. But when we travel to the Adirondacks we always stop at Keyes Pancake House in Old Forge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism