Do you want a diesel Jeep? Goto http://JeepDieselPetition.com and sign the petition!

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Unfortunately, the diesel Wrangler would have an even higher sticker.
How many would buy a Rubicon that costs $45K, just to get the diesel?

What makes you think a diesel will be $45k?
In this post I ran through the numbers and showed a diesel should only be a premium of $4-$6k.

Keep in mind the foundry for the 3.6 Pentaster is already at capacity, before the added demands of the Wrangler. Fingers crossed it gets to the point they want us to buy a different engine.
-Dan

x32792

Adventurer
Dan,

I'm more inline with Haven...A $40K Rubicon!?

When my local dealer told me what they would give me for my it's-paid-for-and-everything-has-been-restored TJ Sport with 62xxx on the clock and how much cash they wanted, I experienced Sticker Shock.

For that kinda of money, I could turn what I have now into a diesel Rubicon and still have money left over.

My current best think is when you go into a dealership asking about a new Jeep, they figure you have more money than sense and need a good clipping.

John

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
And thats kind of the problem with jeep lately (last 10-15 years?). They have moved away from an affordable "utility" off road capable vehicle and into the lux-O-SUV market. Remember when you could get into a base YJ for under 10 grand? No AC, somewhat adaquite (ok, not so much lol) 4 cyl, and a rag top...Simple, fun, and affordable. Now you need a home loan to buy a new jeep and it has more computers than NASA! Do people want all that fluff? Well... sales seem to confirm it to some extent. But how about an honest to goodness, bare bones, entry level Feep that doesn't have all the latte holders and Satalite directed butt warmers? Shave some weight off it, give it a modern diesel and a stout 5 or 6 speed tranny, a Rubi t-case, and some non-playschool axles and sell it! Make the Jeep back into the erector set of off road vehicles. Expand the options list but remove the "must have" packages like power windows. Make a Scrambler like or actual "truck" version for working with and sellllll! Heck, if Mihandra can use their 4th world tech to put diesels into knockoff jeeps for the last 40 years why can't Feep?

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
And thats kind of the problem with jeep lately (last 10-15 years?). They have moved away from an affordable "utility" off road capable vehicle and into the lux-O-SUV market. Remember when you could get into a base YJ for under 10 grand? No AC, somewhat adaquite (ok, not so much lol) 4 cyl, and a rag top...Simple, fun, and affordable. Now you need a home loan to buy a new jeep and it has more computers than NASA! Do people want all that fluff? Well... sales seem to confirm it to some extent. But how about an honest to goodness, bare bones, entry level Feep that doesn't have all the latte holders and Satalite directed butt warmers? Shave some weight off it, give it a modern diesel and a stout 5 or 6 speed tranny, a Rubi t-case, and some non-playschool axles and sell it! Make the Jeep back into the erector set of off road vehicles. Expand the options list but remove the "must have" packages like power windows. Make a Scrambler like or actual "truck" version for working with and sellllll!

I agree 100%, although I imagine most of the "NASA" computers, etc. are all about crash safety, emissions and other govt. regulations & safety
You simply can't buy a new production vehicle in 2011 that doesn't have all that stuff.

(The J8 and other military rigs might be an exception to this, but then, you can't just walk in and buy one from a manufacturer.)

-Dan

x32792

Adventurer
John, why do you think it will cost $40k?

-Dan

Dan,

The $40K price Haven gave was for a gas model. The gas powered Ruby I drove had a manual transmission, rag top and a $38K sticker price.

Have no idea what a diesel Rubicon might cost...If such a thing existed in the USA or Canada.

John

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Dan,

The $40K price Haven gave was for a gas model. The gas powered Ruby I drove had a manual transmission, rag top and a $38K sticker price.

John

I don't understand how this is possible when jeep.com shows the MSRP of the '12 Rubicon Unlimited at $33,320.
(That thing is a standard, rag top.)
(sorry, maybe I don't understand all the dealership stuff in North America properly)

-Dan

x32792

Adventurer
Dan,

Dealerships in the States are independently owned and operated by private corporations and/or individuals...Not by Jeep.com.

As for price, there's a MSRP (manufacturer's suggested retail price)...The keyword being 'suggested.'

To the MSRP, dealers add all sorts of fees and charges to inflate their profitability. What starts out as a $33K unit can quickly go up to $40K or more.

John

uzj100

Adventurer
Any new news on the Wrangler diesel or Grand Cherokee Diesel? Or any good sites to check besides here?

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Any new news on the Wrangler diesel or Grand Cherokee Diesel? Or any good sites to check besides here?

As far as I know, there have not been any announcements yet.
Supposedly there is a Wrangler related announcement coming "any day now" which will almost certainly be to increase the production capacity. (rumors suggest they have huge demand, more than they can build).

All fingers are crossed for announcements of things like Diesel, stripper, J8, nukizer etc, but nobody knows right now.

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner