Do you want a diesel Jeep? Goto http://JeepDieselPetition.com and sign the petition!

ActionCamper

Supporting Sponsor
Yeah, it seems to be like that.
If we keep working at it, maybe one day they will realize there is a market for the diesel wrangler....

-Dan

You guys should keep trying hard to twist these rigid maketing bosses heads. There is nothing like a strong diesel for intense offroad use. Of course the sound isn't exciting, but everything else. Specially the milage opens for Jeeps the expedition world.

orangeTJ

Explorer
Was at my local Jeep Dealer this week. Asked about a diesel Wrangler anything and they all just smiled and laughed. They did, however, offer to pre-order a 2012 with PentaStar 3.6L gas motor which they assured me would arrive in 'about' six weeks.

Sigh.

I test drove one Friday - I was pretty impressed with it. The 5 speed auto is nice too.

ActionCamper

Supporting Sponsor
Last edited:

ActionCamper

Supporting Sponsor
I test drove one Friday - I was pretty impressed with it. The 5 speed auto is nice too.

Interesting is that in Europe only the diesels have the 5 speed auto and the V6 an 4 speed auto. One more reason everybody buys a diesel in Austria.

Last edited:

x32792

Adventurer
You are so lucky. See the Austrian prices >> prices and be happy.... The right column shows the end price. NoVA is the gas guzzling tax. Co² tax is dramatically lower for diesels. Please don't forget to calculate USD x 1.4 = EUR. The same Sahara V6 would cost 73.486 USD. More than the double!!
=
Hopefully not too far off topic... The cost of all new vehicles, modifications, repairs and fuel are putting long range Adventure Travel (and Expo travel) on the Endangered List.

To your specific example, I wouldn't pay $73,486 USD for a new Jeep if it had two motors...The 35% immediate depreciation would seize up my fatty old heart and the top of my head would pop off.

Last edited:

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Just so everybody knows. Jeeps that are diesel, use VM engines. VM engines are made in Italy and are VERY unreliable and are constantly having head issues. The numbers look great on paper, but reality is quite different. I have a gas JK Rubicon in France. I had to custom order it because usually you can only get them in Diesel. In some countries like Spain, the gas version is just not available. My advice is you stay away from those engines.

---
- "Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hopefully not too far off topic... The cost of all new vehicles, modifications, repairs and fuel are putting long range Adventure Travel (and Expo travel) on the Endangered List.

I thought a lot about that on my adventure.. I wonder how many more years before it will be ridiculously expensive or flat out impossible to make that trip (or a similar one) due to expense, gas availability or political situations...

-Dan

x32792

Adventurer
I thought a lot about that on my adventure.. I wonder how many more years before it will be ridiculously expensive or flat out impossible to make that trip (or a similar one) due to expense, gas availability or political situations...

-Dan

Yes, all of Central and South America are becoming increasing expensive with some parts being so dangerous it's fool hearty to even attempt.

Years from now, you'll look back and be glad you made your Americas trip.

John

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Yes, all of Central and South America are becoming increasing expensive with some parts being so dangerous it's fool hearty to even attempt.
John

While the cost of traveling through countries in Central/South America is increasing, the very vast majority of them are still way, way cheaper than first world countries.

As for dangerous... I know it's a personal choice, but I personally think it's not the case for the majority of the countries. For the most part it's about being smart and keeping your eyes open.

-Dan

dieseltoyz

Observer
The diesel Jeep quandary... We've heard people for years saying " if Jeep sold a diesel wrangler, I'd be the first in line"... But I don't really think this is the case. Expensive manufacturing costs, excessive emissions equipment, and un-trained dealer support networks equate to higher sticker prices which most americans are simply not willing to pay. If you look at the Jeep australia website, their pricing for a JK CRD sport with 6 speed manual is around $48k USD. Now, are they completely killer? You bet! For the same amount of money, you could go buy a brand new JK off the showroom floor, have us drop a CRD in for $25k, and you'd have a FACTORY JK CRD here and now. People waiting on Jeep to release a 4 cylinder diesel Wrangler here in the USA will be waiting for quite some time...I personally don't ever see them doing it.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
The diesel Jeep quandary... We've heard people for years saying " if Jeep sold a diesel wrangler, I'd be the first in line"... But I don't really think this is the case. Expensive manufacturing costs, excessive emissions equipment, and un-trained dealer support networks equate to higher sticker prices which most americans are simply not willing to pay. If you look at the Jeep australia website, their pricing for a JK CRD sport with 6 speed manual is around $48k USD. Now, are they completely killer? You bet! For the same amount of money, you could go buy a brand new JK off the showroom floor, have us drop a CRD in for $25k, and you'd have a FACTORY JK CRD here and now. People waiting on Jeep to release a 4 cylinder diesel Wrangler here in the USA will be waiting for quite some time...I personally don't ever see them doing it.

Looking at the price of vehicles in Australia is in no way indicative of what it may cost in North America. Cars in Oz are massively more expensive than North America, due to a whole bunch of factors that are complicated to explain.

Just for fun, a base Toyota Camry in the USA is $21,195 USD (from toyota.com)
In Australia, the base Toyota Camry is $30,000 AUD ($31,500USD) (from toyota.com.au)

That's flat 50% more for a car.

P.S. I'm from Australia originally.

-Dan

dieseltoyz

Observer
Looking at the price of vehicles in Australia is in no way indicative of what it may cost in North America. Cars in Oz are massively more expensive than North America, due to a whole bunch of factors that are complicated to explain.

Just for fun, a base Toyota Camry in the USA is $21,195 USD (from toyota.com)
In Australia, the base Toyota Camry is $30,000 AUD ($31,500USD) (from toyota.com.au)

That's flat 50% more for a car.

P.S. I'm from Australia originally.

-Dan

You definitely have a point. Being that the Australian Jeeps are $48k was mentioned not to highlight what they might cost here stateside, but what a JK diesel costs now in other markets. Not what they "could" cost should they ever build them for the USDM. Im merely trying to illustrate that the Wrangler with a diesel will carry with it a HEAVY premium in any market. Some markets better than others... Look at the Grand Cherokee; they tossed in a Mercedes engine and priced it so close to an ML320, people just bought the Mercedes! That and it got abysmal fuel economy. In my opinion, if Jeep was to ever bring out the Wrangler with a diesel, it would only be offered in the top tier trim packages (Rubicon), would only come with an automatic transmission, and would be a $40k rig.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
You definitely have a point. Being that the Australian Jeeps are $48k was mentioned not to highlight what they might cost here stateside, but what a JK diesel costs now in other markets. Not what they "could" cost should they ever build them for the USDM. Im merely trying to illustrate that the Wrangler with a diesel will carry with it a HEAVY premium in any market.

I disagree.
An Unlimited Sport in the USA starts at $25,500 USD (jeep.com)
In Australia, the Unlimited Sport starts at $43,000 USD (jeep.com.au)
That's a 68% price increase from the USA to Aus.

The Unlimited Sport Diesel is Australia is $49,000 (jeep.com.au)
(a price premium of $6,000 over the gas)

If we assume the same 68% price increase for the diesel in Australia vs. the USA, then in the US, the diesel would be something like like $29,500
(which is a $4000 price premium)
The premium is ********** on 68% of the $6000 premium paid in Australia.

I'm willing to bet the numbers work out somewhat similar for other countries where the diesel is sold.

I see no reason they can't offer a diesel for somewhere around a $4k-$6k premium - at which price I would happily buy.
So would about 25% of the current signers of http://jeepdieselpetition.com which is about 500 people right now.

-Dan

dieseltoyz

Observer
Hehe, my opinions are based on what Jeep has historically done with their diesel offerings here in the USA (take a diesel and slap it in the top trim line and charge a heavy premium for it). CAN they offer them at a $4-6k premium? Absolutely...The question is, will they? We talk to the Jeep guys every year at SEMA. Seems like their reasons for not bringing a diesel change every year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach