Does anyone have a dual battery setup under the hood of their Express?

Logan80

I'm looking for pics and info to help with installing a second battery under the hood of my van.

My pickup was easy because there was a lot of room to mount my second battery and the isolator. My van looks a lot more cramped.

Has anyone here put their house battery under the hood? Any links to parts used would be great!

wjeeper

I know someone on here just did dual express batteries under the hood, they used a battery tray from a JK if memory serves me right.........let me see if I can dig it up tonight when I am off work!

I have just finished tacking together a dual battery tray for my Express. It was super easy to slap together, tight but pretty easy to zap together!

Logan80

My main concern was whether or not it would fit. Those JK trays seems fairly reasonable on Amazon, although making one with junkyard parks shouldn't be bad either. That's what I did on my truck.

Trailboss

Senior Curmudgeon
I've got a 2001 diesel Express van, and diesels need two batteries. The factory location for the second battery is on the outside of the frame rail about 2 feet behind the driver's seat.

Logan80

Sounds like that may be a good spot for me to mount my house battery then. Could even use factory parts I'd assume.

Trailboss

Senior Curmudgeon
Search for "lightweight battery box" on ebay for bolt-on or weld-on frame boxes. Probably also a good idea to put a rubber or metal shield in front of the box (as on my truck) to block stuff thrown by the front tire.

Accrete

Explorer
Greetings,
There is a fellow expo member that has done just what you are asking about.
Check _this post_ and a the prior page I think he has another post or two explaining how he pulled it off.

Best wishes on your build.
Thom

Logan80

Thank you for that link Accrete. I knew I'd seen that post but was having trouble finding it again. That's exactly what I'd like to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL