Drawers/platform in 1g 4runner

djrez4

Adventurer
Last weekend, I finally got to work on my drawer/platform system.

The plan is to create a system where I can have a drawer on one side, a fridge on the other, and a platform that can extend to the back of the front seats when the rears are folded down, so we have somewhere to sleep. Because of the sleeping requirements, I wanted the fridge to be covered. I also plan on including a small subwoofer on the fridge side, backed up against the rear seats, to supplement the anemic stock speaker locations.

Here's how it's going so far:

I began with a base of .451 ply and glued and screwed 1x1s in place to support the vertical members.

Here, you can see the 1x1s all in place. The width of the base fits perfectly between the wheel wells and there's space on the sides for fluids and other miscellaneous storage.

I then added the vertical supports, made of 5/8 ply.

With the two side supports in place, I test-fit the top to make sure everything was kosher.

The final step, this weekend, was to improvise a center support. I was going to use the same design as the side supports, but somehow I cut the piece 1" shorter than I wanted and was too lazy to redo it. I used scrap instead.

The fridge will be inserted on the left side on some form of slider. The right side will be a good-sized drawer for parts and gear storage.

Next step is to close the side against the seats. I intend to hinge it for access. Then, I need to figure out how to support the platform that will extend over the folded rear seats. The whole thing will be covered with pad and carpet and will be easily removable.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Yeah I have debated this backand fourth for some time. If I finally pull the trigger it will be shorter so I can accomidate tools and recovery in the sliders and ice chest and dry box on top. My problem is with all of my gear loaded now the runner is stuffed. If I incorporate a rack into a small exo then I could free up 3 inches on either side. As well as putting some light gear and. Jerry can up top. And just maybe add some lighting up top.

djrez4

Adventurer
Yeah I have debated this backand fourth for some time. If I finally pull the trigger it will be shorter so I can accomidate tools and recovery in the sliders and ice chest and dry box on top. My problem is with all of my gear loaded now the runner is stuffed. If I incorporate a rack into a small exo then I could free up 3 inches on either side. As well as putting some light gear and. Jerry can up top. And just maybe add some lighting up top.

If I had a RTT, I wouldn't have tried to incorporate the fridge into the unit and would have made it lower as you're planning. As things sit, however, I'm building it so we can sleep on top and not worry about damage to the fridge.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
I see. I am not a fan of RTT myself. I have a 4 season family tent and a personal tent when I am driving solo.

pELYgroso

I've been planning the exact same thing for my runner, but when I went to mock up where the platform will sit, I realized that when sleeping on the platform (and mine was even a bit lower than yours is), there will be no room to sit up on the platform, thus making it really annoying to enter and exit with the top on, and moveability really difficult. I probably could live with this, but I want my wife to be as comfy as possible so that she'll want to go out as much as possible, so I just scratched the permanent platform plan. (I am still going to make a removable platform though so that my 2 dogs can have a flat carpeted place to chill while driving, without having to walk all over my boxes/gear.

It looks like you'll need to belly crawl to get into your sleeping platform. I'm not saying you're doing a bad job, I just thought I'd share what I found after starting the exact set-up you're building.

Instead, I picked up a tent similar to the one below so that we can "extend" the interior space of the runner. I figure we'll throw my 2 storage containers that contain all my fluids, camping stuff, etc onto the floor of the tent and have the entire space in the 'runner to sleep. The dogs will also have a dry place to sleep that is not inbetween us, kicking us all night (which is what happens when they're in the same tent as us. I figure the SUV tent will work PERFECTLY! Also, when we leave camp to go wheeling or something, we can just throw the sleeping bags into the tent, load up the cargo boxes with tools, fluids into the runner, and pull away from the tent's hole, which zips closed, leaving the camping stuff in our little tent "garage"

...just something to think about :)

Attachments

• suv tent.jpg
    suv tent.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 49

djrez4

Adventurer
I did think about that exact issue and decided it was a necessary sacrifice. If it turns out that the headroom issue becomes too much to deal with, I have plenty of tents.

I did think about that exact issue and decided it was a necessary sacrifice. If it turns out that the headroom issue becomes too much to deal with, I have plenty of tents.

Here is my set up..

bca75a98.jpg

5cfa2804.jpg

6efbf6f5.jpg

d1b41f45.jpg

eb13143d.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy