Drilling into a Flippac: How far?

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
So I am looking to drill some D-ring plates into my Flippac in the four corners. These will have various uses but not to bear severe loads. At the back of the FP There are some fairly deep areas but at the cabside I would like to know if anyone here can tell me what type and length of screw should be used. I don't want to have a screw punch through to the outside of the FP.

Thanks!

Ursa Minor

Photos?

If you have photos of the area you want to drill into I might be ablto to give you some tips from my own experience - Cheers, Johm

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Don't do it!

Took a chance and started to put a small 3/8" screw into the shell near the FRP light. It took a lot of force to finally get a bite in the fiberglass. Then started to hear a bad sound and stopped, went out and looked where I was putting it in and saw a small area which looked like it would definitely punch through if I continued. So screws in the cabside of the shell are not a good idea unless they are up where the hammock mounts are located. Those screws are pretty long. Don't do it!

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
IMO the best way to mount what you describe would be to "sandwich" a small stainless hex head bolt like this:

stainless hex head bolt/fender washer/neoprene washer/flippac shell/neoprene washer/stainless fender washer/D-ring/washer/stainless nylock nut.

That would work just fine as long as you dont mount your Hi-Lift to them ;)

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately my curtains are sewn already and having them hung as high as the pole mounting cups would make them hang about halfway down the windows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater