Dstock's M101A1 build... or the reality, I needed a new project!

dstock

Explorer
It's been awhile since I've updated this thread. Life gets busy sometimes but I am still refining and modifying our trailer, and we've actually gotten out a few times and put it to use which is the main point of it!

I've come up with a new plan recently and while it's not completely trailer specific, the trailer component is a big part of the equation. A couple things have changed since I first started the trailer build and these factor into the quandary I now face.

First, I no longer use the Jeep as my daily driver. This allows for a different sort of build on the Jeep as it's sole purpose is taking us to places off the beaten path. Some changes have been made in this regard, I sold my Gobi rack as it was just too heavy, and I've added an AEV bumper/TC and fuel caddy.

Second, a couple of weeks ago, we added a 2018 4Runner TRD Off Road to the stable, my gf's daily driver but it will still get some mods.

Lastly, we have found there a some places we'd like to go that don't allow trailers, WHAT you say?? Yes it's true, places like Tuweap at the Grand Canyon.

By now I am sure you can see where all this is heading.....but because I like to complicate things, I'm not going to go the easy route of just moving the RTT to a rack on the Jeep. Or maybe I should say, not just the Jeep....

In the perfect world, I'd like to mount the RTT (and an awning) to one rack, and move the rack between the Jeep, the 4Runner and the trailer. The Rhino rack platform seems like it would be the best to accommodate all 3 setups. Is this completely necessary? No, of course not, but that's what makes it fun.

The 4Runner is our first Toyota and I'm excited to do some mods to it while keeping it comfortable for every day driving.

So, what's everyone think of this plan? I know I'll have to modify the trailer rack but that should be pretty straight forward.

Thoughts?

RogueWon

Let's see ... Sold the Gobi Stealth rack - that's something I want for my new plan /// Buying the Rhino-Rack - something I'm selling from my old plan -
... you see where this is going. grrrrrrrr

That said - yup - not all that far off the plan that I have abandoned (for diff reasons) - should be awesome. - you really should check https://www.uship.com/ and FedEx to see what my Pioneer-in-a-box would cost to send - and mebbe Fastenal FOB - https://www.fastenal.com/en/22/3pl-(third-party-logistics)

dstock

Explorer
Let's see ... Sold the Gobi Stealth rack - that's something I want for my new plan /// Buying the Rhino-Rack - something I'm selling from my old plan -
... you see where this is going. grrrrrrrr

That said - yup - not all that far off the plan that I have abandoned (for diff reasons) - should be awesome. - you really should check https://www.uship.com/ and FedEx to see what my Pioneer-in-a-box would cost to send - and mebbe Fastenal FOB - https://www.fastenal.com/en/22/3pl-(third-party-logistics)

Hmm...I'll shoot you an email, it would probably make sense to trade some info on why we are going the routes we are going!

Brainstatic

Thanks! I'll get back to you on the tubing size and see if I can figure out the overlap. I know I have enough overlap for the pull-pins to engage. I want to say the upper supports are 24 inches. Tubing wise I believe I went 1 1/2" for lower tubes and 1 1/4" for upper supports and the rack. Still, it's been a bit, so let me double check and get back to you.

Do you recall what the wall thickness was on the upper or lower tubes? Any issues at all with deflection on the platform or down tubes?

dstock

Explorer
Do you recall what the wall thickness was on the upper or lower tubes? Any issues at all with deflection on the platform or down tubes?

The upper and lower tubes are telescopic tubing that I purchased off of ebay. The purchase history doesn't go back far enough to pull it up and check, I'll see if I have the specs in my notes somewhere. The rack/platform tubing is .120". I've had zero issues with any of it, even with the additions of the solar panel rack, panels, and the Roadshower.

Brainstatic

The upper and lower tubes are telescopic tubing that I purchased off of ebay. The purchase history doesn't go back far enough to pull it up and check, I'll see if I have the specs in my notes somewhere. The rack/platform tubing is .120". I've had zero issues with any of it, even with the additions of the solar panel rack, panels, and the Roadshower.

Awesome! Thanks. Any chance you know what size heim joints those are?

dstock

Explorer
I've been out enjoying the trailer so there haven't been many updates in the last few months. Still, it's hard not to leave it alone!

I decided to add some more shade coverage in the form of a Rhino Rack Batwing awning, excuse the mess that is my garage at the moment:
i-3jX82n6-L.jpg

I snapped a pic while I was doing a quick test setup in the drive just to make sure everything survived shipping:
i-vv7ckdG-L.jpg

It's a really easy setup, I have to say I'm pretty impressed so far, just as I was with the Rhino Rack platform I installed on the Jeep.

We've been testing out having "drawers" for the kitchen stuff, so I am thinking I may just build a pair in the same configuration you see in the above photo with the plastic ones, but make them 3 feet long so that we could add the camping odds and ends in a section behind the kitchen gear. This would allow us easy access and we'd be able to ditch a couple more plastic storage bins. Also, currently the area behind the drawers is hard to access, so it would be a better use of the space.

That's it for now, packed up and leaving for ExpoWest in a couple days!

KellyM

Adventurer
Looks awesome!!!

I've been out enjoying the trailer so there haven't been many updates in the last few months. Still, it's hard not to leave it alone!

I decided to add some more shade coverage in the form of a Rhino Rack Batwing awning, excuse the mess that is my garage at the moment:
i-3jX82n6-L.jpg

I snapped a pic while I was doing a quick test setup in the drive just to make sure everything survived shipping:
i-vv7ckdG-L.jpg

It's a really easy setup, I have to say I'm pretty impressed so far, just as I was with the Rhino Rack platform I installed on the Jeep.

We've been testing out having "drawers" for the kitchen stuff, so I am thinking I may just build a pair in the same configuration you see in the above photo with the plastic ones, but make them 3 feet long so that we could add the camping odds and ends in a section behind the kitchen gear. This would allow us easy access and we'd be able to ditch a couple more plastic storage bins. Also, currently the area behind the drawers is hard to access, so it would be a better use of the space.

That's it for now, packed up and leaving for ExpoWest in a couple days!

dstock

Explorer
Here we go again.....

I've decided to make a somewhat drastic change to our trailer setup. I'll start by saying everything has been working amazingly well on the trailer. The reasons behind the forthcoming changes are really due to convenience and environmental factors. That's a fancy way of saying laziness and wind!!

Basically, we want to roll into camp with as little setup as possible, and roll out the same way. We do quite a bit of desert camping as well, and with that comes the wind. Despite our CVT RTT being very sturdy, the tent flap noise makes for less then restful nights (ear plugs don't help) and again, the setup/take down process just takes more time then we'd like.

With that said, the trailer was stripped back down to it's basics. I'm really, really glad I built it in such away that allows this to happen easily, and I can put it all back just as easily if this new path goes horribly wrong.

i-7X98fwd-L.jpg

They say pictures speak volumes, so I'm going to let the following pictures set the stage.

i-m959Fz4-L.jpg

i-vCsCpVC-L.jpg

i-QLrnks6-L.jpg

A blank canvas on a proven trailer base, the possibilities are endless!

Plans include:
Sleeping platform with under platform storage
Batwing Awning mounts using the linear actuators from the previous rack
Roadshower mount
Maxtrax mount
Bug screens/curtains/etc.
LED lighting
Rear trailer stabilizers
New paint scheme to match the trailer

Much much more to follow.....

dstock

Explorer
It's funny how sometimes you do a bunch of work, and then when you go to take pictures, it looks exactly the same! This isn't a super exciting update, but necessary steps nonetheless.

This weekend was all about bolting the camper shell to the trailer. While this seems pretty simple, replacing the weather stripping while it's on the trailer was a bit of a challenge as I had to work upside down. First I got the shell all aligned and drilled my mounting holes, putting the bolt through at each mount to keep things aligned. I used some large fender washer to distribute the load a bit, but I may go back and add a metal strip and tie down points at each bolt.

i-dPHVkcH-L.jpg

I removed the old seal, which was about 1/8" thick and went with a really beefy seal.

i-MzZ4C6P-L.jpg
i-X7Wt3Vj-L.jpg

This was applied to the underside of the shell with the use of some wood blocks. It really sealed up nice despite my bed rails from being less then perfect.

i-4dBRJds-L.jpg
i-ZJDvc9c-L.jpg

The next issue was to revise that tailgate straps. Originally I just had chains and pins with clips and would hook them up each time. This won't work when you are trying to let the tailgate down from the inside, so traditional tailgate straps were needed. The nice thing is you can still unhook these to drop the tailgate all the way down. These were replacements straps I purchased off of ebay, they are for an 1983-1996 Ford Pickup, and are 22 1/8" long.
I drilled out the same mounting point I was using for the chain setup, and then used a grade 8 bolt on the tailgate itself. I added a nylon spacer to keep the cable from rubbing on the tailgate.
i-KmQP8XJ-L.jpg

I'm really happy with the way they turned out. I'm going to look into adding a lift support to ease the lowering of the tailgate, and I will also be adding a strap of some sort to make it easier to pull up from the inside.

I'm working on designing the sleeping platform layout next, but as it stands right now it's ready to use, which is good, because some Home Depot runs are in its near future.

micoinde

Good stuff. Are you planning on insulating for comfort? I need some ideas for my build.

Attachments

• M101a2 build SANTOS.JPG
    M101a2 build SANTOS.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 38

dstock

Explorer
Looks great! Do you have any specs on the camper shell?

Thanks! The shell was made by a company called Brahma, apparently they pioneered the "plastic" camper shell which was both light weight and durable and they advertised it could be beaten with a baseball bat. They are long since out of business, and I haven't been able to find much more information about it or the company. The shell came off a pre-1996 Ford F150 with an 8ft. bed.

dstock

Explorer
Good stuff. Are you planning on insulating for comfort? I need some ideas for my build.

Nice build!

After scouring the internets, a lot of people have used Reflectix to help avoid condensation inside the shell. I'm going to look into this for ours although the roof is not flat like a standard shell so I may need to get creative with getting attached, either with spray adhesive or velcro. I will be doing the same for the sides around the windows as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk