Duke: A Disco I Build

jeff_wright

Adventurer
During the summer of 2004 I traded the earnings from my community landscaping service, during high school, for a 96 Discovery SE. After much searching for a well-maintained Discovery, I ended up purchasing my own family's Discovery Series I. The Disco was originally picked up off a lease from Land Rover North Point in 1998. With our first purchase of a Rover, I became fascinated and more enthused on the identity and uniqueness/quirkiness of the trucks. I was determined to save up for my own Discovery.

This build will include flashbacks as it has been in progress for some time...

New proud owner of the Discovery in summer of 2004 (@106k)
100_0047.jpg

100_0049.jpg

It didn't take long for my parents to find another preowned Land Rover for their excursions. A 2001 Disco II LE7...
100_0017.jpg

Last edited:

jeff_wright

Adventurer
My goals for the truck have changed a good bit since I've had it. Looking back, I would definitely change the "what" and "when" of my modifications. Originally I wanted to conservatively modify it for camping and minor off road use while keeping a very genuine appearance. This included a setup with Genuine LR HD springs and Bilsteins from Rovers North, 245/75r16 BFG All-Terrains, and genuine brush guard. I enjoyed the truck a lot but knew I wanted to make changes.

100_0162.jpg

Father's Day Project

100_2374.jpg

Changes included setting the truck up for better off road/expedition travel, while keeping it clean and simple.
  • swapped 245s for 265s
  • added 1/2in spacers to sagging rear springs
  • Mantec snorkel
  • Safety Devices rack
  • rear ladder
  • 4 Hella 4000s
  • ARB bumper

Present state:

Amicalola
IMG_3261_2.jpg

DSC_2471.jpg

New Smyrna Beach
DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_3127.jpg

Caney Fork
DSC_1492.jpg

Other explorations:
DSC_1809.jpg

DSC_1789.jpg

DSC_0712_2.jpg

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Jeff- Well done, very nice and clean truck. Come join us in NC for the Uwharrie Safari in spring, or Uwharrie Rover Event (URE) in the fall.

jeff_wright

Adventurer
Were the LR heavy duty springs taller than the stock springs? It looks like you have a 2" lift.

Yes they are taller, but not much. They are obviously more firm than stock and provided about 1.5" of lift. All the pics posted included a .5" spacer in the rear due to sagging (they've sagged even more now). I'd say this setup falls between a stock and OME suspension.

JSQ

Adventurer
I'm digging this pic.

DSC_1809.jpg

The truck is fairly decent. It's nothing extraordinary but it hasn't been screwed up yet either. It's a solid Disco1 in need of a winch. I don't hold anything against it.

But what's sweet about this pic is the truck is taking a few friends backpacking. That might not look like anything special but it's actually quite exceptional for a fourwheeling forum. It would be a far stretch for most Land Rover owners to throw on a pack and walk for a few days.
When I first got into Land Rovers it was to help facilitate the activities I participated in at the time (backpacking, rock climbing, bike racing, hunting etc.) and get to better spots for those pursuits. I was also interested in fourwheeling for its own sake, but I assumed other Land Rover owners would be coming from an outdoor sport lifestyle. Then I went to my first rally type event.
What a shock that was. I couldn't believe how out of shape these losers were and how little fieldcraft they knew. Club run offroading was the entire extent of their outdoor activities. It was kind of pathetic. Sure, many of them were nice people who love Land Rovers and all that, but they were kind of a joke. It was a major ordeal for many of these people just to ******** in the woods.

Rob Davison and I were just talking about this phenomenon over dinner at our campsite in the Maze District of Canyonlands a couple months ago. Rob remembered making the same appraisal when he got his first Discovery.

The above pic of that kid with a few of his young friends is the kind of headstart I'd hope for anyone new to Land Rovers.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
JSQ is spot on on his assessment on what these vehicles were meant for IMO. I have always said that my truck is a tool not a jewel and it should be used as such. In the past 15 years of Land Rover ownership my vehicles have taken me places to do things that a normal vehicle just couldnt do. Caving, climbing back country skiing, kayaking stretches of rivers that would otherwisae be a two day walk with a boat on my back. In more recent years it has taken me to a "new" climbing area that is accessible only by four wheel drive.

Continue to use the vehicle as intended, use it to push yourself not the vehicle.

Attachments

• crooked climbing sept. 069.jpg
    crooked climbing sept. 069.jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 207
  • crooked climbing sept. 067.jpg
    crooked climbing sept. 067.jpg
    498.2 KB · Views: 136

muskyman

Explorer
JSQ is spot on on his assessment on what these vehicles were meant for IMO. I have always said that my truck is a tool not a jewel and it should be used as such. In the past 15 years of Land Rover ownership my vehicles have taken me places to do things that a normal vehicle just couldnt do. Caving, climbing back country skiing, kayaking stretches of rivers that would otherwisae be a two day walk with a boat on my back. In more recent years it has taken me to a "new" climbing area that is accessible only by four wheel drive.

Continue to use the vehicle as intended, use it to push yourself not the vehicle.

I see there is alot of room for friends in your truck :D

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I'm digging this pic.

DSC_1809.jpg

....The above pic of that kid with a few of his young friends is the kind of headstart I'd hope for anyone new to Land Rovers.

Reminds me of me and my friends in highschool. Except we always had to cram 4 of us into a chevy chevett (2 door, 4 banger, 4 speed) with all our gear and beer.
Definitely about the adventure not the vehicle.

Snagger

Explorer
Nice, conservative modification. The taller suspension, tyres and roof rack won't help with side slopes, but you seem the sort to drive within the vehicle's capabilities. 30mm wheel spacers may help mitigate any stability problems, though.

michaels

Explorer
EEEK! Don't you dare put wheel spacers on that nice little Disco1.

i don't see issues with stability either. jeff also mentioned nothing about stability issues. the only spacer he mentioned was a small one under the rear springs. I've always liked jeff's truck due to it's simplicity and down right good looks. i just love that color. the truck is very tastefully done and is the perfect setup for the daily driver/light offroader/camping truck that it is.

i often camp with jeff, and he's a downright nice guy. here's the only photo i have of his truck, unfortunately.

n1005090050_30368029_3393.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven