DVD Players for the Kids: What Kind of Rules Do You Set?

articulate

Expedition Leader
A little research here.... so please share. Do you have a DVD player of any kind for your kids to watch movies while you're road bound?

If so, what kinds of rules do you set? Or do you set no rules at all and just let that thing play movies from driveway to campsite?

How well do your kids do without DVD players in the car? Maybe you have alternatives that your kids get into?

Hit me with your opinions and methods.

Thanks!

Mark

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Mark, I have one for Ellesha but it has been closet bound for over a year now. She gets to use it in her room every now and then. I never let her watch movies in the car on the way to the campsite, but when she was younger she got to watch a movie while I was setting up camp. Now, no DVD players are allowed (she forgets that daddy's laptop has a DVD player). She does activiteis, colors and reads in the car now as well as at camp.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
2 boys ...19 & 12...
If we are pulling some serious hi-way miles with nothing of note...think Phx - LA then they can watch something classic we can talk about...Pale Rider, Jaws, Twilight Zone and such...something that has alot of cultural references made to it.

The movie has to be paused if there is anything remotely interesting we are passing by or such.

If we are taking backroads or there are things worth looking at out the window then no electronics.

I am fine with reading, map researching and such. I actually think that the hours on the road give a mind quality time to wander and think.

As a family we will listen to books on CD that we get for free from the library...it might be something classic or something for fun. It often leads to great arguements about characters, plots and backstories, but in a fun way.

vanderpooch

Authentic Adventurer
Do you have a DVD player of any kind for your kids to watch movies while you're road bound? Yes over head mounted DVD player

If so, what kinds of rules do you set? Or do you set no rules at all and just let that thing play movies from driveway to campsite? Traveling, bed time and inclimate weather otherwise go find fun!
How well do your kids do without DVD players in the car? Installed it to reward my daughter because she IS such a great kid but more for me than the kids,lol. I like it for solo trips and to watch back pictures taken during trip.

Maybe you have alternatives that your kids get into?
My daughter prefers the NEVER stop asking questions entertainment..Dad, dad, dad ,dad..LOL

dvd.jpg

XJBANKER

Explorer
I took my two year old girl to the San Rafael Swell for 5 days by myself and the DVD player is what made it possible. She likes it when we are on pavement but off road she is usally fine with it off. She does not like sitting by the fire so she gets to watch a movie before bed. The older she gets the less she gets to watch.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Charlie and Max, 5 and 3.5

No DVD player or TV for us on the road.
Sing Songs
Color
Play imagination games
Quit time
Ask lots and lots and lots of questions
Tell stories
Play with one of the three toys or read one of the three books they bring along.

So far so good with some nerve-racking moments thrown in!

The DVD player is in Grandmas minivan!!

Teamjeff

Observer
Three kids here, 10, 5, & 2.

They have dual TV's in moms ride that they watch surprisingly little on a regular basis. It's mostly the 2yr old that wants to watch. They don't use the headphones either... no idea why.

When on a camping trip were in my ride that has no TV's, but the kids have other stuff like ipod touches & nintendo ds's. I don't mind if they play them on the highyway but when were in the dirt the electronics get put away & we spot for wildlife. They may come back out though in certain circumstances - like when I'm trying to get wet wood to burn & they keep asking me when the fire will be going!!! :)

We have taken somewhat of a "regulate yourself" stance regarding electronics with the kids & it's worked pretty well for the most part.

BTW Mark, I voted a few days ago on your site. Then poked around a bit & enjoyed what you've built there!

Sangster

Adventurer
two girls, 5 & 3

dual screen DVD player in mom's van but if we're going anywhere of significant travel time in the truck we'll move them over.

Helps us keep our sanity! Our 3 yr old doesn't care one way or the other, but the 5 yr old will drive me batty with all her constant questions if she doesn't have a movie to entertain her.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
we bought one many years ago...it gets use RARELY!

our 6yr old gennerally brings one of her disney magazines to do the puzzles/stickers..or just sings along with the radio (sometimes sings along while listening to her headphones...she can sing!!..but never stops..and it can be irritating when she's singin over dads music! :sombrero: )

we've used it on long trips..usually the trip home is the worst so she pickes a movie and tunes the world out (unfortunatly she's between her 7month old TWIN siblings..and ignores their crys for bottles..so it causes us to have to get her attention to give whoever is makin noise a bottle to quiet them down)...

most of the time...its the truck/car/van radio..and talkin..(and talkin n talkin n talkin...its like livin with DONKEY from SHREK!!..sweet JEZUS!)...

Superu

Explorer
3 boys 10, 8 & 5.

Portable DVD player or laptop with iTunes on it.

We only use it on highway stretches that exceed 2 hours and even then we sometimes leave it off.

In the tent before bed, we'll usually watch an episode of Kim Possible before lights out.

Off highway, they look out the windows and we play I Spy or try to spot animals or interesting landscape features.

The older two also do a lot of reading in the car. Percy Jackson series was a bit hit recently. The little guy reads Dr. Seuss but tires after 2 or 3 books.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
From a non-parent...

...who is, however, a step-granddad to my stepson's 7 year old: I hate them, even though I understand that under some circumstances they can be useful.

[rant on ]

I hate the fact that you can't go into a family-priced restaurant without seeing TV monitors everywhere. Really, are we so attention deficit that we must be entertained with flashy colors at all times while awake?

I know I'm getting into "grampa Simpson" mode here but I'm glad we didn't have those when I was a kid.

Abraham_Simpson.png

Those long road trips were some of the best memories of my life. Dad taught me to read a road map when I was about 8 or 9 and then I became the "navigator" on long car trips. Dad, being a historian, would always tell us about the history of the places were were traveling through.

Four years ago, wife and I took a road trip to Yellowstone NP with my then 11-year-old nephew, who had never been there. We established one rule from the beginning: No movies, no iPod, no gameboy. We got a couple of books on CD and listened to them, and we tried as much as we could to engage him on the trip discussing the history, geology, and the natural beauty of the area we passed through (we went through Rawlins and Lander on the way to DuBois for our first night, and returned through Cody and Thermopolis.) Wife also taught him how to use a SLR camera.

Was it a success? Well, I think he was glad to be home after 4 days and he hasn't asked to go on any trips with us again (though to be fair, we haven't offered, either.)

I would personally counsel parents to strenuously avoid the ubiquitous DVD player if at all possible. We're way too video addicted as a society as it is, we don't need television (or for that matter the internet) everywhere we go. This country is way too spectacular and beautiful to miss it watching a silly movie on a tv screen.

Sorry for the rant, I know I didn't answer the question the OP asked but it's something about which I have strong feelings.

BTW, my now 15 year old nephew lives less than 10 miles from some gorgeous mountain hiking, biking and other great activities. And as far as I know, he's never - ever - been up there to see or participate in them. Nor does he seem to have much interest. His parents (my sister and brother in law) live on a golf course and that's their idea of outdoor recreation. I'm pretty sure my nephew has never been camping in his life. :(

OTOH, he's great at video games. :rolleyes:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
We got one when Phil was about 1 year old. As much as I'd love to be a Super Parent, I do not understand how anybody can keep a 1 year old entertained in the car for a 5 hour trip. The DVD player broke when he was about 3, and we didnt replace it. By that point, it seems he was mostly able to entertain himself. However, yes, sometimes he can be like Donkey, and that can make the trip longer for the rest of us. Oftentimes when he was 3 (after the DVD player broke), my wife would sit in the back seat with him and entertain him that way.

Now that we have our new daughter, there's no more room in the back seat. Elise is also approaching 1 year old, where her brain is active but she's not really able to entertain herself yet. My wife has requested another DVD player.

I know I'm getting into "grampa Simpson" mode here but I'm glad we didn't have those when I was a kid.

When I was a kid and we were driving to Florida, my father recorded all our our read-along records to cassette, and then brought the cassette player in the car with us. So, we were able to "read" the books on the trip. While it's not exactly the same as a DVD player since there was no video, I don't feel the sense of nostalgia that we went on all these long car rides without entertainment. I think it really is a lot of ask of a child.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Do you have a DVD player of any kind for your kids to watch movies while you're road bound?

Just my laptop now... they managed to ruin a brand new cutesy car DVD player in about 48 seconds.

If so, what kinds of rules do you set?

Bring headphones, so I don't have to listen to repeated viewings of SpongeBob Squarepants. Any and all Star Wars movies may be played without using headphones...

...do you set no rules at all and just let that thing play movies from driveway to campsite?

I set no rules... Childhood is short, we decided early on to, "let a kid be a kid", there are enough rules in life for them to follow. Why instill more rules during what should be a fun road trip? I have yet to ever see them go from 'driveway to campsite' with their faces buried in a screen... More often than not they lose interest in a movie fairly quickly. It's just a temporary diversion like any other 'car activity'. They still look out the window and ask, "What's that? What's that?"

Because they use my laptop now, they play games as well, like spelling & vocabulary games and coloring games. It's beneficial to them and I don't have to deal with melted crayons on my seats...

How well do your kids do without DVD players in the car?

They do fine. Jr. (9) has already taken to bringing his MP3 player over DVD's because he likes his tunes. Again, must bring headphones.

Maybe you have alternatives that your kids get into?

We bring activity books, small games, toys, etc. Kids have short attention spans, I think it's important to have a few options for diversions on long road trips.

Hit me with your opinions and methods.

My opinion? Making hard & fast rules, limiting their attention diverting options, forcing them to enjoy the trip "your way" is a sure-fire recipe for road trip failure and planting a seed for future resentments... (For instance, I love travelling with my buddy Chuck, great guy & solid friend. But if I had to ride with him while he listened to nothing but Korn, while he tries to convince me how great a band they are, I would likely never ride with him, or listen to Korn, again...) People of all ages discover what interests them at varying times, not on a schedule. If a road trip has as many rules for them as school or home life, why would they be expected to see a road trip or vacation as "fun"?

It also seems to me to be a bit hypocritical, to tell a kid he can't watch a movie during an 8 hour road trip because he has to learn to "appreciate the great scenery & diverse history of our country", while Daddy sits up front playing with his 2meter radio, SPOT, ScanGuage, GPS, fridge temp display and Mommy sits beside him on her iPhone, checking business emails, texting friends and updating her Facebook status...

More rules don't always result in happier, more well-rounded children. Let a kid be a kid...

:wavey:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater