E350 4x4 Cab & Chassis

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
1997 E350, 7.3, 230k, UJoint 4x4 Conversion, 8k OBO, San Francisco
Build Thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34160

I'm making the jump to a U1300 and I've decided to move the box on the truck to the mog chassis for obvious reasons. This is a feeler thread to see if anyone wants a good platform to build on. I figured I would post the cab & chassis here first before I part the truck out. The truck has performed flawlessly. No issues what-so-ever.

Detailed information on the build is in thread noted above, here are the basics:

1997 E350
7.3 PS (~230K)
Built E40D (~10k miles since rebuild)
NP271
Rebuilt Dana 60 Fr (all new bearings & seals, new brakes,<10kmiles)
Dana 70 Rr
UJoint Conversion w/Bilstiens

IMAG0041Large.jpg

IMAG0043Large.jpg

CIMG0033.jpg

brettf

Adventurer
What are your obvious reasons for switching platforms? Besides the Unimog being completely ************ that is...

Just looking for specifics. I'm working on a Ford van conversion as we speak and yours is one that has inspired me!

bikerjosh

Explorer
Yikes!!!

Looks like I'm making dinner for the GF tonight to try and sweet talk her into another car in the drive way.
Awesome build.
Where are you in SF? I live in walnut creek and work in Emeryville.
Josh

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Dang it.. i want the entire rig.. not just the cab and chassis! If you decide to part with the entire rig, let me know.. and the price!

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
What are your obvious reasons for switching platforms? Besides the Unimog being completely ************ that is...

Just looking for specifics. I'm working on a Ford van conversion as we speak and yours is one that has inspired me!

Cheers and thank you. There are multiple reasons for the mog switch but the main ones for me are the availability of parts/support worldwide, the GVRW, and manual transmission. I tend to go on trips as a single vehicle with a friend and I just can't get over the possibility of something going wrong in BFE and the subsequent long recovery. Before the decision I seriously contemplated taking the truck to the next level with bombproof parts throughout and the manual swap. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), the cost to fully prepare the truck was close to the cost of a decent U1300! It was a pretty easy decision once I put a budget together.

Looks like I'm making dinner for the GF tonight to try and sweet talk her into another car in the drive way.
Awesome build.
Where are you in SF? I live in walnut creek and work in Emeryville.
Josh

I live at 24th & Delores but the truck spends most of the time at my shop in San Carlos. It doesn't really fit in with the parking scene in SF! :) I will be around for the next few weeks, probably surfing the peninsula with the truck this weekend. PM me if you want to meet up.

I seems like it would be better to sell your E-350 with the box on it??

I know darnit!! It's just that the box is sooo nice. Many of the mog campers out there suffer from living right at (or over) their GVRW. From what I gather this is at least partially because most of them have steel frames. The aluminum box would allow me to carry more gear/fuel/water and minimize the stress on the mog. That and it would cost more to reproduce the box than the whole truck has cost at this point..

Dang it.. i want the entire rig.. not just the cab and chassis! If you decide to part with the entire rig, let me know.. and the price!

Well I can't honestly say the cab & chassis route is set in stone, it's true that everything has a price, and logistically it could be simpler to sell the Ute whole and build another box out of another 2wd ambulance.. With that I'm open to offers. PM me if you're truly interested. I'm not in this to make money so it could be a win-win.

Last edited:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Well I can't honestly say the cab & chassis route is set in stone, it's true that everything has a price, and logistically it could be simpler to sell the Ute whole and build another box out of another 2wd ambulance.. With that I'm open to offers. PM me if you're truly interested. I'm not in this to make money so it could be a win-win.

Not even if i lined you up with a great mog camper body? :D PM sent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle