E350 - Air Conditioning

jfdrewett

Observer
Startin to think about interior comfort as the summer approaches. Looking for options for cooling the van down in the heat when parked. I have a roof rack so installing a roof air unit would not be my best option.

Any thoughts?

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Could the compressor be adapted to also run off an electric motor?

Or could a second electric compressor be plumbed in in series?

It would be slick if possible and avoid extra ducts etc.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Small window unit ACs are available around 5,000 BTU. This one has all mechanical controls and a soft start that should make it ideal for a DC setup. It draws 515 watts running, less than 5 amps on 110v. Run it with an efficient pure-sine inverter just big enough to power the load like this one and it should be under 50A total. If you start with a cool van and run it at night to sleep (cooler outside) I can see that being manageable with ~450AH of battery or even slightly less
50% duty cycle (25AH) for 9 hours is 225AH
Running a generator or even just idling the engine should cover it's power consumption very easily. Drain 200AH in 4 hours of running the AC nonstop then replenish the battery whilst driving

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I was at Glamis sand dunes last weekend and it was pushing 100. I used one of the newest Frigidair window units. 5000btu. This was $149 vs the $99 units because of its high seer, low voltage starting ect. The Honda 2000 will run it on Eco mode because it's so efficient. I believe the Honda could run two of these units. It cools the van if left on but if you wait until it's hot then you need to sit in front of it. Basically 5000 is not enough to cool a hot van and if I had to do it over I'd buy one of the newest and most expensive 7500 units with the highest seer and energy features. Even though most will tell you 5000 is the max for a tiny generator the newest ones sip electricity and draw very little on startup. Go for one larger than 5000 if you have room and get a tiny Honda 2000 or I hear good things about the Yamaha powered red one at Costco. Craigslist is your freind for a geny. When the Honda starts the ready light blinks 1 time for every 100 hours of use. Find a deal because they are the nicest available generator for our application. Local Honda dealers will beat any online OTD price from my research but I found a used one.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
stumpalump can you compare your Frigidaire AC to the one I linked to? They sound the same but maybe yours is even newer?

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
stumpalump can you compare your Frigidaire AC to the one I linked to? They sound the same but maybe yours is even newer?
Mine is all digital and has a tiny remote controller. Best Buy had it in stock late last year for 149. I would rather mechanical control but the super soft start on this unit with low surge makes up for it. To be honest I was shopping specific outside dimentions and this was in stock. After using it I'd go for similar ultra efficient ones like it and use a small generator. I'd bet 50 bucks a Honda 1000 would start and run it. The 2000 barly rises above idle. The surge is what limits you. This is the unit:
http://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-FRA054XT7-Window-Mounted-Mini-Conditioner/dp/B003KQUH0O

I can't see the model number but it looks just like both with this being better. This seems high priced but you get the idea and look how few amps it draws. http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/FFRE0533Q1.html

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
So I found this little guy. Wondering if 5000 BTU would be enough to cool the van when it's 100+ outside?

http://www.climaterightair.com/products/climateright-models/climateright-5000-btu-a-c-heater.html

I doubt it, especially not with the color of your van. My last van was an extended E350 with a CCV pop top. I put in a Coleman Polar Cub (9500btu) roof unit which ran off my Honda 2000 generator, and the AC worked great but was barely enough in high heat or high humidity. My van was dark blue. I live in the SouthEast and for that reason alone I will never have a dark colored van again. Your van looks **************', but I wouldn't want to try to keep it cool.

jfdrewett

Observer
I doubt it, especially not with the color of your van. My last van was an extended E350 with a CCV pop top. I put in a Coleman Polar Cub (9500btu) roof unit which ran off my Honda 2000 generator, and the AC worked great but was barely enough in high heat or high humidity. My van was dark blue. I live in the SouthEast and for that reason alone I will never have a dark colored van again. Your van looks **************', but I wouldn't want to try to keep it cool.

Ya, white was my color of choice but got such a great deal on the van I had to overlook the color. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3