E350 with a 5.4, how would it tow?

draaronr

Adventurer
is that motor underpowered for towing a car and car trailer weighing in around 7500lbs, and a travel camper at other times?
was thinking I should hold out for a v10, but found a nice van at a great price but its a 5.4

desertspeed

Adventurer
is that motor underpowered for towing a car and car trailer weighing in around 7500lbs, and a travel camper at other times?
was thinking I should hold out for a v10, but found a nice van at a great price but its a 5.4

I towed a very light buggy (prob. 3,000lbs) with my F150 with the 5.4 and a 4R70W- that was about all I would want to tow. Going over any sort of large hill was very slow. I would def. hold out for the V10 if you are going to be towing regularly, not just for the engine but for the trans as well.

jjohnny350

Adventurer
I have a 99 e350 5.4. I have towed a few things with it. Anything under 5,000 it does ok. I would hold out for a v10 or diesel if you want to tow something around 7500. It will do it, but I dont think you'll like it. Maybe with a tune and a few modifications it might not be as bad. This has been discussed in another thread too.
A few people responded on this one.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/126895-Towing-with-the-ford-5-4-v8-any-reviews

Good luck to you.

Heloflyboy

Adventurer
Hold out for v10 or diesel. I had a e150 that would flat tow our suzuki great, as soon as I put 6500lbs behind it it struggled. Needless to say I sold it and bought a E350 diesel. I get better fuel mileage and barely notice 6500 lbs.
Good Luck.

draaronr

Adventurer
Hold out for v10 or diesel. I had a e150 that would flat tow our suzuki great, as soon as I put 6500lbs behind it it struggled. Needless to say I sold it and bought a E350 diesel. I get better fuel mileage and barely notice 6500 lbs.
Good Luck.
Yeah that's what I think I'm gonna do. Thanks to everyone for the follow up. I had a 2000 e350 with a 7.3 loved the van. Only thing was it was a little loud inside. That's why I was thinking v10

tgreening

Expedition Leader
What model year you looking to get into? If you're looking at anything of the post 7.3 era I'd seriously opt for the V10 vs diesel, unless you intend to tow big and tow often. It's not worth the price premium and I will tell you one thing, if any of the newer diesels go down, they can go down in a big big way and you better have deep pockets. The v10 will get it done no problem at the weights you're talking and it's a good, strong, reliable, and proven engine. Any issues it may have pale in comparison to the diesel issues. A single injector for a 6.0 can push $250 or better and they tend to go in multiples of you might as well replace them all. You don't even want to know what it costs to fix a blown high pressure fuel pump on a 6.4 costs.

Wolvee

Adventurer
The 2v is the optimal Modular to have for everyday driving. The 4v is worthless because it raises your RPM Tq curve and you'd have to spin the motor. (I know you didn't ask about that one.) The V10 literally is the 5.4 with two more cylinders added to the "back" with phenomenal power but HORRIBLE mpg in the big fords.

The 5.4 will tow the load but it wont like it. Especially if you've got hills or god forbid mountains to deal with. I think the 3v is a step down from the 2v even though it gives you more BHP. Like the 4v, the 3v adjusts the Tq curve away from the low mid range grunt where you want it. I would gladly chose a 2v with a set of MPH Torquer cams, electric fans and a tune than the 3v or 4v. (...and I did.) The V10 is a great engine, it's just a gas whore. 8-10mpg average.

If you go with the 5.4 you WILL need gears if it doesn't have anything 3.73 or better. Your OD transmission will constantly go back & forth into OD putting an ungodly amount of wear on itself, not to mention less your MPG.

I'd hold out for a Diesel but ford diesels automatically jump in price several grand for a similar year & model Gas.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Our 5.9 Durango towed 8500 lbs across Canada and through the Rockies... 15,500 lbs truck and trailer. Slow but sure.

How far? How often? Terrain?

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Like mentioned V10 from 2005 with the 5R110 or newer would be my first choice for towing occasionally. My second choice would be the 7.3 because of the transmission. Needs more attention if worked hard.
But the 5.4 will make do for lighter loads.

350outrage

Adventurer
My van is '02 V-10, E-350, 75,000 miles, 3.73 gears, 32" tires. I tow 6,000 lb boat and 7,500 car hauler Towing is effortless. You won't even know trailer is back there if its under 5,000. Gas mileage 13 steady, loaded or unloaded; will drop to 10 if towing > 6000 lbs, flogging it while towing, or towing in hills.
V-10 is dead quiet and smooth as a turbine. Never turned a wrench on it except repl alternator at abt 50k. I would never trade my v-10 for a diesel just to gain 2-3 mpg, given the added fuel cost of diesel and associated maintenance issues. Hope this helps.

draaronr

Adventurer
My van is '02 V-10, E-350, 75,000 miles, 3.73 gears, 32" tires. I tow 6,000 lb boat and 7,500 car hauler Towing is effortless. You won't even know trailer is back there if its under 5,000. Gas mileage 13 steady, loaded or unloaded; will drop to 10 if towing > 6000 lbs, flogging it while towing, or towing in hills.
V-10 is dead quiet and smooth as a turbine. Never turned a wrench on it except repl alternator at abt 50k. I would never trade my v-10 for a diesel just to gain 2-3 mpg, given the added fuel cost of diesel and associated maintenance issues. Hope this helps.
well sad to say I think that's what I wanted to believe but wasn't sure until someone said it :)

java

Expedition Leader
My v10 has tons of power, which is great, but it sucks the gas down when you get on it. I have towed with the 5.4, and like everyone has said it won't be happy with that much weight. In the PNW where i live everything is hills and mountains.....

350outrage

Adventurer
Yeah, everyone asks me about the gas mileage of the V-10, and I always say "That depends on what you're asking it to do!":coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buckshotiii