eatSleepWoof gets a 6x12

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Added carpet in the storage area as well as the entry way; this will keep things cleaner, and minimize items shifting around in transit.

gNFqJAe.jpg

jOY09BF.jpg

retjhP9.jpg

Built a cabinet above the fridge, and added a small hook for the fridge strap to hang on when it's not in use.

H1nemAM.jpg

ksDUSXh.jpg

1AFIRoG.jpg

uYw0XI2.jpg

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Another small update: installed a NOCO extension cord pass-through in the driver's side wall. This allows me to run 120v from the home to inside the trailer. The outlet comes out under the bed. The NOCO comes with a rubber gasket, but I also applied silicone underneath/around it. Rather than using provided self-tapping screws (which won't provide much grip in the aluminum skin) I installed stainless, M4 rivnuts and bolted the NOCO in.

NOwyPBO.jpg

MtWLBP4.jpg

ibgf6zD.jpg

I will put a oil-filled radiator heater inside the trailer over the winter and will plug it into this extension. This will keep the interior of the trailer above-freezing all winter, and I won't need to remove my lithium batteries, nor worry about anything else, really.

I've already drained all water, drained the water heater, filled all lines with RV antifreeze, and covered the roof with a tarp. The tarp isn't necessary, but it'll keep the trailer cleaner so I have less work to do in the spring. Winterization is basically done.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
I use a simple incandescent light bulb (not an LED bulb) in a lamp strategically placed, to keep my trailer's water system above freezing when temps drop. As well as you insulated your trailer, IMHO a heater is overkill and probably uses considerably more power than you need. Just need to keep inside temp above freezing, 5C to 10C (40F to 50F) is entirely adequate. I first thought that it needs to be at least 15C (60F), but it doesn't need to be comfortable, just several degrees above freezing. One disadvantage to a bulb is it needs to be checked periodically (old bulbs burn out faster than the new LED's), but one other advantage is it helps to keep humidity and moisture low in an enclosed environment.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Another small update: installed a NOCO extension cord pass-through in the driver's side wall. This allows me to run 120v from the home to inside the trailer. The outlet comes out under the bed. The NOCO comes with a rubber gasket, but I also applied silicone underneath/around it. Rather than using provided self-tapping screws (which won't provide much grip in the aluminum skin) I installed stainless, M4 rivnuts and bolted the NOCO in.

NOwyPBO.jpg

MtWLBP4.jpg

ibgf6zD.jpg

I will put a oil-filled radiator heater inside the trailer over the winter and will plug it into this extension. This will keep the interior of the trailer above-freezing all winter, and I won't need to remove my lithium batteries, nor worry about anything else, really.

I've already drained all water, drained the water heater, filled all lines with RV antifreeze, and covered the roof with a tarp. The tarp isn't necessary, but it'll keep the trailer cleaner so I have less work to do in the spring. Winterization is basically done.
So are you keeping it now?

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
I use a simple incandescent light bulb (not an LED bulb) in a lamp strategically placed, to keep my trailer's water system above freezing when temps drop. As well as you insulated your trailer, IMHO a heater is overkill and probably uses considerably more power than you need. Just need to keep inside temp above freezing, 5C to 10C (40F to 50F) is entirely adequate. I first thought that it needs to be at least 15C (60F), but it doesn't need to be comfortable, just several degrees above freezing. One disadvantage to a bulb is it needs to be checked periodically (old bulbs burn out faster than the new LED's), but one other advantage is it helps to keep humidity and moisture low in an enclosed environment.

I already have two of the exact same heaters that I use in the home, so I purchased this third one knowing what to expect. The oil-filled, radiator heaters are very efficient once the oil is up to temps, so electricity usage isn't all that bad. I have an identical heater in my ~24x24ft garage, and kept it set to 20C throughout all of last winter. I didn't see any noticeable difference on my electricity bill. Maybe an extra $20/month?

In the trailer I'll set the heater to 10-12C and let it do its job. Like you said, with the insulation that's in place there won't be much heating needed, and so long as the interior is kept above freezing, that's all I really need/want.

Plus, I need the third heater in any case, so eventually it'll go inside the home and work there.

So are you keeping it now?

Despite heavy interviewing (for example, calls with GitLab and Microsoft later today, Shopify tomorrow, etc.), I'm still out of work (6 months now). Trailer will remain for sale at least until I do find work. Realistically, I'll probably still sell it even if I find myself employed tomorrow. With a 4-month old kid it's simply too tight inside. I think it would actually be easier with an older child, as the kid wouldn't need feeding every 3 hours, and the trailer could just be used to sleep in before everyone steps outside. The infant requires a lot more work and a lot more space.

I get some interest here and there, but it's pretty low. By all accounts it seems the market for "toys" is utterly dead. Seeing huge, huge price drops on trailers that would normally sell in days, if not hours.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Despite heavy interviewing (for example, calls with GitLab and Microsoft later today, Shopify tomorrow, etc.), I'm still out of work (6 months now). Trailer will remain for sale at least until I do find work. Realistically, I'll probably still sell it even if I find myself employed tomorrow. With a 4-month old kid it's simply too tight inside. I think it would actually be easier with an older child, as the kid wouldn't need feeding every 3 hours, and the trailer could just be used to sleep in before everyone steps outside. The infant requires a lot more work and a lot more space.

I get some interest here and there, but it's pretty low. By all accounts it seems the market for "toys" is utterly dead. Seeing huge, huge price drops on trailers that would normally sell in days, if not hours.
Good luck on the interviews!

I get that. Kids do need space for sure. How do you foresee camping overlanding and accommodating a child?

PS.... Older kids need a lot of space too... Ask me how I know.. ;)

jgaz

Adventurer
Good luck with your job hunt and congratulations on the new addition to your family.

Thank you for continuing to post about your trailer.
I love your attention to detail and your workmanship in all your projects.

I seem to remember that once you posted a bit over on Garage Journal.
Did you post there under the same screen name?

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Good luck with your job hunt and congratulations on the new addition to your family.

Thank you for continuing to post about your trailer.
I love your attention to detail and your workmanship in all your projects.

I seem to remember that once you posted a bit over on Garage Journal.
Did you post there under the same screen name?

Thank you!

I know I definitely browsed Garage Journal at one point, but I didn't post, and have a different username there. Haven't been there in years!

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
I think our future camping trips will be based around setting up a basecamp somewhere, parking the trailer there, and exploring by vehicle during the day. Seems like the easiest/most practical combination.

In the meantime I've put the heater in the trailer, and also placed one of my water-leak sensors (which was at home, unused) on the countertop. Why? Because it also has a built-in temperature sensor, and since it's part of my home automation tooling (via Samsung SmartThings / Z-Wave), I can monitor it remotely from my phone, and build automations with it.

I've set the heater to 14C, and set up an alert in SmartThings to notify me should the temperature ever drop to/below 10C. Set it and forget it until spring. Being able to monitor historical temperatures is also great.

vm3DeuK.png

kuMejzq.png

FaEeNmi.png

Automate all the things!

Last edited:

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Yep. That's what we do. Seems to work out well. It also gives the option for someone to hang at camp if they don't feel like exploring.

We recently did a few overnighters in the local Provincial Park and were pleasantly surprised by how much we liked it. I think that'll be an option for us, but not in peak season (when such parks are ridiculously busy and noisy). I'm imagining that we would drive somewhere 5-6 hours away (or more, over several days, if time allows), set up camp for a week, and spend most days exploring the surroundings. If we come across a remote spot where we want to camp, we'd move the trailer there. Rinse and repeat in different locations as much as time allows.

We do have the dream of taking 6-8 weeks time to slowly drive up to Alaska, explore, make our way back via a different route. No rushing, lots of sight seeing. Wanting to do this in the next 4-5 years, before the kid starts elementary school, as we want to start the trip in mid August, and come back by mid-later October (ie. school season). That's the dream, anyways.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
We recently did a few overnighters in the local Provincial Park and were pleasantly surprised by how much we liked it. I think that'll be an option for us, but not in peak season (when such parks are ridiculously busy and noisy). I'm imagining that we would drive somewhere 5-6 hours away (or more, over several days, if time allows), set up camp for a week, and spend most days exploring the surroundings. If we come across a remote spot where we want to camp, we'd move the trailer there. Rinse and repeat in different locations as much as time allows.

We do have the dream of taking 6-8 weeks time to slowly drive up to Alaska, explore, make our way back via a different route. No rushing, lots of sight seeing. Wanting to do this in the next 4-5 years, before the kid starts elementary school, as we want to start the trip in mid August, and come back by mid-later October (ie. school season). That's the dream, anyways.
Yep, we camp in provincial parks. Yeah, there's people around but generally it's pretty quiet. We also do our best to book early so we can book sites that are quite treed and private. We couldn't see or hear another camper here.

Unhook. Drop the trailer so amenities are there for anyone that wants to chill at the site while I go exploring....

CP1.jpg

CP2.jpgCP3.jpg
road 2.jpg
road 4.jpg
bear 2.jpg

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Yep, we camp in provincial parks. Yeah, there's people around but generally it's pretty quiet. We also do our best to book early so we can book sites that are quite treed and private. We couldn't see or hear another camper here.

Unhook. Drop the trailer so amenities are there for anyone that wants to chill at the site while I go exploring....

View attachment 801701

View attachment 801702View attachment 801703
View attachment 801704
View attachment 801706
View attachment 801705

Those sites look fantastic!

My previous experience with provincial parks has been borderline parking-lot style camping, thus my strong dislike for them. Some nearby parks still have that same experience (and we'll never camp in those). But I'm coming around to the fact that some parks are much, much nicer. I'm guessing that the further one goes from dense cities, the more wild and private the parks will be.

Something I always struggle with when camping in the wild is the fear that we will get to our favourite spot only to find it occupied, or that some fools will roll up later, setup camp nearby, and start partying, shooting, what have you. I find that on the day of the trip I'm always stressed out all the way up to actually getting into camp (and finding the spot free). That fear is completely gone when you know that you have a reserved spot waiting for you. Of course, that site comes with rules that don't exist in the "wild," which can be a bummer (ie. keeping dog on a leash). So everything is a compromise.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Those sites look fantastic!

My previous experience with provincial parks has been borderline parking-lot style camping, thus my strong dislike for them. Some nearby parks still have that same experience (and we'll never camp in those). But I'm coming around to the fact that some parks are much, much nicer. I'm guessing that the further one goes from dense cities, the more wild and private the parks will be.

Something I always struggle with when camping in the wild is the fear that we will get to our favourite spot only to find it occupied, or that some fools will roll up later, setup camp nearby, and start partying, shooting, what have you. I find that on the day of the trip I'm always stressed out all the way up to actually getting into camp (and finding the spot free). That fear is completely gone when you know that you have a reserved spot waiting for you. Of course, that site comes with rules that don't exist in the "wild," which can be a bummer (ie. keeping dog on a leash). So everything is a compromise.
It was shots from the same site. Just trying to give a 'panoramic'.

Oh for sure! We detest the parking lot style campsites. No privacy at all. There are some here like that nut, we avoid them.

Not sure if you've ever camped in Wells Grey north of Clearstream but that's a fantastic site. We camped right beside the river.

Yes, we do have to keep our dog tethered. But we probably would regardless cause he's quite friendly and will approach anyone... or anything, haha Other that that, we don't blast our music anyway so that rule doesn't bother us. And quiet hours at 11:00 don't bother us either since that's when we're winding down or getting ready for bed anyway...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
havanother