Engel Fridge Mods

5Runner

Adventurer
I have done some things to make my Engel fridge better. I thought I would share them, for those searching for solutions. It's nothing that fancy, but puts some info in one spot.

First. I bought mine on the spot at McGuckin Hardware in Boulder Colorado. After searching the web, I decided the M45 was the one for me. Every place on the web I found it it was $799. I wanted to take a look at it before buying and I was suprised to find that McGuckin Hardware had one in stock!

http://www.mcguckin.com/

I went straight there and they were selling it for $699!!! Yippee!! I took it home. So...here's what I have done.

The lid always slipped off and I was complaining about that in another thread. "hoser" clued me in to a cheap little product Engel makes to fix the problem. It works great!

http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3

Here it is installed.

612f56d2.jpg

I also wanted a way to keep soda and beer cans stacked up separately from the food area. I had some left over plastic-covered shelving and cut at peice to fit. I used the little rubber end caps and they put enough friction to hold the shelf in place.

889288dd.jpg

60b6ddc6.jpg

Then I bought baskets for the top area. The divider below is right in line with the spot between the two shelf, so it works perfect for removing only one basket, depending on what you want. I can't find the link to buy them right now, but I will edit this with that info soon. sorry...

51232bb7.jpg

2458549b.jpg

Next I am going to get a small thermometer to put inside.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Then I bought baskets for the top area. The divider below is right in line with the spot between the two shelf, so it works perfect for removing only one basket, depending on what you want. I can't find the link to buy them right now, but I will edit this with that info soon. sorry...

The Baskets look to be the TwoZone basket set, and they are no longer imported due to the price increase.

07 Elephant

Adventurer
compact appliance dot com has them.

26$

What was the price when y'all were selling them? I didn't like spending 26$ but I wanted the baskets.

Last edited:

5Runner

Adventurer
The Baskets look to be the TwoZone basket set, and they are no longer imported due to the price increase.

Yes! That is what they are, the "TwoZone" set. Thanks. Also thanks to Elephant for posting a link. It was crazy expensive for what it is, but for how well they fit and how they changed the dynamics of packing and using my fridge, it was worth every penny. I would buy them again if I had to!!

It's neat that you are on this site, flyingwil. I take it you are the owner of SierraExpeditions.com. What a great site you have. I have purchased a number of small items from there this year. The quickfists are great, as was the small folding camp table I got from you! Someday I'll get some more bucks for something bigger, but the fridge was my big one for this year...and a belly pan skid plate in the next month.

Anyway...great job on the online store, flyingwil!!

Hey guys, please feel free to post up any mods you have done to expeditions fridges. I like what you did Corey...I saw that before. Thanks for posting the link here!

Honu

lost on the mainland
cool idea for the bevg divider :)
makes me have a idea for my larger 60 in the trailer :)

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Good thread.

One thing I added for my fridge, more out of concern for the contents, and to keep from having to tape the end in all the time, was wire in a Posi-Fit from Wil.

Here are the pics of the connections. The male end has a threaded collar that locks the plug in to the vehicle side, thus no lost connection!
engel_001.jpg

engel_003.jpg

bluejeep

just a guy
Got some pics of the wire baskets I purchased from the Container Store
These first few are of a unit that can hang in 2 different configurations - might be kind of versatile. Needs some padding on the ends where they may touch the refrigerant pathways.

horizontal
attachment.php

vertical
attachment.php

attachment.php

This one would be good for those all important Hershey's bars (Smores - gotta have 'em!). Although I have to bend the hooks a bit to level it some

attachment.php

And I think these 2 will be my most used - time will tell

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1144a.jpg
    1144a.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 378
  • 1150a.jpg
    1150a.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 374
  • 1151a.jpg
    1151a.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 375
  • 857a.jpg
    857a.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 381
  • 0859a.jpg
    0859a.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 378

5Runner

Adventurer
Thanks for posting your pics, Fergie. You should edit your post with more elaboration and details. It looks like a good idea, but I am not totally following it.

Thanks for posting your pics, bluejeep! I bet those were way, way cheaper than the Engel ones.

I like posting threads like this to share my ideas with others, but it's even more awesome when other folks post up their similar thoughts.

As long as it's a mod related to expedition fridges, please feel free to pirate this thread and post up your pics and writeups! This could be a good thread to get it all in one spot!!

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Thanks for posting your pics, Fergie. You should edit your post with more elaboration and details. It looks like a good idea, but I am not totally following it.

Thanks for posting your pics, bluejeep! I bet those were way, way cheaper than the Engel ones.

I like posting threads like this to share my ideas with others, but it's even more awesome when other folks post up their similar thoughts.

As long as it's a mod related to expedition fridges, please feel free to pirate this thread and post up your pics and writeups! This could be a good thread to get it all in one spot!!
Well, I had a normal old West Marine 12V socket that I wired in the back of my 80. Problem was, the 12v plug on the Engel was too loose inside the West Marine socket, and I had to tape the plug to the socket to keep it in!

So, I bought the Posi-Fit from Wil, and modified the bracket to mount it flush. I disconnected the old socket, and wired the new one in.

The Engels have a 120V looking plug if you screw off the 12V portion. This male side on the plug goes into the female socket, with an indexing notch so you do not reverse polarity on accident. Then, the portion of the plug that used to be thread to the 12v adapter, now thread down on the female side, creating a very secure connection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl