Engine Mount removal DII

Big D

Observer
Is there a secret to getting the engine mounts off, especially the drivers side. I'm having trouble accessing the inner bolt of the mount. Does the whole bracket have to get removed from block? All I see for it is just two bolts on bottom. Is there any bolts on top of bracket too?

The manual just says to remove the two bolts. Bottom one is easy by the upper one is impossible.

Is there a trick?

Thanks in advance

disco 03

Brackets need to come off to replace the mounts. Just did mine. Need a stubby 18mm wrench, and some leverage on the drivers side to get it to spin. Used a length of wood from the engine bay to knock loose the upper passenger side mount. Took close to 3 hours including swearing breaks. I used 300tdi mounts for replacements.

Big D

Observer
I'll give a shot with the stubby. I've tried an racket type 18'mm but it was just too long.

Where are the upper bracket bolts? I can access the bottom ones no problem, but I can seem to see the upper ones. It is one or two.

Big D

Observer
Finally got both engine mounts out.

A few pointers,

Drivers Side Engine Mount

1. Remove air box/air filter assembly
2. Remove Map sensor air intake (set aside) not necessary to disconnect
3. Use an 18 mm rachet type wrench for top engine mount bolt
4. Have a beer, swear and curse, and then insert wrench and pull like hell to get it going. Guaranteed to scrape a knuckle. Once it moves you can use the stubby to get it out.
5. Lower bolt is a piece of cake

Passengers Side Engine Mount

1. A lot easier, insert wrench and turn for top bolt
2. Remove bottom bolt

It's a lot easier to raise the engine when both sides are off or loose. It so happened that both my mounts were in pieces so I changed both at once. It is not necessary to remove the brackets that hold the motor mounts to the engine.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
My drivers side was cracked. Replaced with a used mount I had lying around when we did the engine swap.

-Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal