EngineAir?

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Just curious how many have and carry one of these units as their last ditch back-up air compressor?

https://www.aerostich.com/engineair-power-pump.html
http://www.stopngo.com/products/inflation/PQE1.asp

It is not well spelled out anywhere that I have seen, but the unit apparently does NOT pump engine cylinder air into the tires. It uses the engine cylinder air to cycle a piston in the main metal part. Effectively it is a two stroke, piston-ported, air powered air compressor.

Some ignition systems wouldn't be too happy about not having a spark-plug gap to jump, so if you do use one of these I'd recommend also having one of the test spark-plugs (those with the alligator clip welded onto them) in the ignition lead.
Don't know what to say to the oil burners.....
:sombrero:

java

Expedition Leader
they have been discussed before. i think they are a cool little gadget, but really slow

yyc_ranger_4x4

Hopefully it would be used with a fuel injected motor and the person operating it would also disconnect the fuel injector to that cylinder. If you didn't, there would be alot of wash down from all the unburnt fuel, not to mention the fuel vapor that would be pumped into whatever you're trying to inflate.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I did a quick search before posting, but I didn't get any hits. I can't vouch for all such units like this, but the one linked would not be pumping engine air directly into the tire.
It is not well spelled out anywhere that I have seen, but the unit apparently does NOT pump engine cylinder air into the tires. It uses the engine cylinder air to cycle a piston in the main metal part. Effectively it is a two stroke, piston-ported, air powered air compressor.

Fuel washing down the cylinder bore issue aside, I can see a couple problems for a late model engine. I doubt that the coil driver is going to be happy with the coil having no gap to spark across, so something needs to happen there. If the engine is running then just laying the removed plug somewhere and connecting the lead to it may not be a good solution. The injector driver may not be happy about no injector coil being attached. Injectors are somewhat cooled by fuel flow, so simply plugging in a spare may not be all that great for the spare either.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I did a quick search before posting, but I didn't get any hits. I can't vouch for all such units like this, but the one linked would not be pumping engine air directly into the tire.

These would be the 'chuffers' mentioned in the other thread, I guess the action on the diaphragm makes a 'chuffing' noise. Mine on the other hand is a simple spark plug attachment and would use engine air, so all your caveats apply. Of course when they were likely on the market in the 60's & 70's I'm not too sure any of that was of concern :D

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I use engine vacuum to bleed the brakes. Works a charm! I made a catch reservoir similar to that which comes with the Mighty-Vac, but from a glass 1 lbs. peanut butter jar.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Short hose to bleed screw on long (submerged) tube. Long hose to manifold vacuum on short tube. Some copper tube flared at one end for a better seal on the hose and some epoxy is all that it takes.

I agree with this.
Having done that, it's a lot of bloody work and would be my very last option. I'd rather work smart instead of hard.

Attachments

• IMG_0984.jpg
    IMG_0984.jpg
    762.6 KB · Views: 30

spencyg

This Space For Rent
foot-powered-tire-pump-personal-responsibility-photo.jpg

I would get one of these far before taking apart my engine to fill a tire. Some technology needs to be allowed to die.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...preferable to taking your engine apart just to put some air in your tyres!...

...before taking apart my engine to fill a tire...

If taking a single spark plug out is 'taking apart your engine' I'd hate to hear how you guys describe a tune up? "Massive Overhaul" lol

Removing a spark plug on most older engines can take seconds and is hardly putting yourself in a compromising situation. If your operating with coil packs or hard to remove plugs obviously its not the product for you, but on most older engines it would work just fine.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Needless engine tinkering out off the beaten path just puts a little extra risk into the equation. What happens if you break the spark plug while you're out there? What if you accidently drop something down the plug hole during the "tooling changeover"? What happens to the extra unburnt fuel? Does it overheat the catalytic converter as you're idling away, filling tires? A manual pump is all of $20, and chances are you'll have the tire filled in the same amount of time pumping with your foot than you would friggin' around with your engine.

It just doesn't make sense to me. I've got a diesel, so this is all moot anyway :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven