Expedition Camper by IrbisOffroad

IRBIS

Observer
What I'm doing now is trying to pre-build everything and make sure that everything works together because you know there isn't strong auto-market support for the Tundras. I'm building everything in house. On the front bumper, the original Sahara upper tube was held on the bumper by two bolts. The original ARB bumper sticks so far forward from the vehicle it looks like it doesn't belong there and it kills the approach angle. That is why I shortened and modified the bracket by three inches. The same three inches were cut all around the bumper. The bumper now sits much closer to the vehicle. DOM tubes on top of the bumper are not just welded flat on top, they actually go through the holes into the bumper and are welded from the top and the bottom.
DSC05846.JPG

Now I'm coming back to the subframe. The subframe is built for several purposes. It is going to hold up the camper, stiffen the frame and prevent it from excessive twisting because the camper and the cab are going to be walk through. Like I said, I will also locate all of the accessories in the "basement". Here are some more pictures of it.
DSC05840.JPG

DSC05841.JPG

Here is the rear body shot with all of the holes re-fiberglassed.
DSC05839.JPG

This is the current information and I will keep you posted as the work continues...

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey,

Anything new on this one. I want to see the completed photo's of the completed project; this was an interesting thread.

Pete Wilson

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Awesome work Oleg, but you know that.
I look forward to the finished product. Looking good.

For anyone who is not familiar with his work. Its impressive. Do some research to see the stuff he has had a hand in.

BSS

This is AWESOME. I've dreamed of this combo for quiute a while actually. Nice to see somebody out there isn't as lazy as I am. So I guess I'll have to stick with the 4 wheel / Tacoma combo for a while longer.

Subscribed!

Seldom Seen, is that you from TGR?

IRBIS

Observer
I started work on the rear bumper. The bumper is going to be incorporated into the frame and not removable. The hitch is built-in and for the corners I used the same 1-3/4 DOM tubes. First I built the center piece and welded it to the frame. I bent the four corner pieces:
P1010001.JPG

I cut six short pieces and fish-mouthed them.
P1010002.JPG

I used my frame machine as my welding table, clamped the corners to it and finished welding the corners.
P1010003.JPG

P1010004.JPG

P1010011%20%282%29.

Here are the corners, fit and welded to the vehicle:
P1010013%20%282%29.JPG

P1010012%20%282%29.JPG

Here is how the vehicle looks with the complete bumper:
P1010029.JPG

P1010028.JPG

P1010024.JPG

I know it's not much but that rear bumper took me all day.

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
I'm curious as to what you are using to cut your fish-mouths? I've been hand cutting and filing mine, but I'm facing a larger project and I am contemplating buying an ol' joint jigger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk