Expedition Overland - 2015 Season

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
They are walking billboards.

To be fair a small portion of the sponsors are featured on the vehicle stickers or in any clothing we wore. Clay and his team have been very thoughtful to only engage with sponsors that feature high quality gear, i.e. the same kind of gear they would purchase on their own dime. You simply can't buy vehicles, outfit vehicles, pay crew, cover costs and produce an end product without sponsors... but you can do your best to choose only the best sponsors with the best products and I feel they certainly did just that in a tasteful manner.

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
To be fair a small portion of the sponsors are featured on the vehicle stickers or in any clothing we wore. Clay and his team have been very thoughtful to only engage with sponsors that feature high quality gear, i.e. the same kind of gear they would purchase on their own dime. You simply can't buy vehicles, outfit vehicles, pay crew, cover costs and produce an end product without sponsors... but you can do your best to choose only the best sponsors with the best products and I feel they certainly did just that in a tasteful manner.

Well said,

I'll be honest. When I met you guys I didn't have a care what you were wearing, lol...
It was just good to meet you and Clay at Expo East and talk with you guys.

Keep up the great work.

SO looking forward to what you guys get into next. :smiley_drive:

sseaman

Adventurer
Very interesting conversation to have. Fwiw it is ~3500 miles each way from SLC to Prudhoe, assuming you don't detour which of course you would. It is 4100 miles from SLC to Panama City, Panama, again assuming you just drive the main routes. Camping is equally doable along both routes though I'll concede MX/CenAm will have you wanting to hotel it a bit more. Fuel prices are similar along the way, in fact it might be cheaper along the SLC-PAN as a whole verus SLC to Prudhoe. Both are fantastic routes (to be fair I've not made it all the way to Prudhoe yet, I'm 360 miles short :eek:). Getting to Yaviza (literal end of the road) will prolong your mileage a bit. Import fees and insurance are pretty nominal for CenAm, I'd plan on $200-300 for the entire round trip? Food is going to be cheaper in CenAm too. Totally shooting from the hip but I'd guess the two trips are within 10% of each other cost wise. Time, you are spot on. You'll need twice as much time to cover the CenAm route as you theoretically would the AK route. I just did the SLC to Yukon River Camp (1/2 day south of Prudhoe) in September... I'll be back there, it is amazing scenery!

Great break down, I wouldn't have thought it would be so close between the two

onemanarmy

Explorer
for the return trip....was it a drive straight through as fast as possible?

are the border crossings easier/quicker coming back? (you would have documentation from the weeks before, etc)

did everyone drive/ride back or did some fly?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater