Expedition Portal has its first millionaire.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I think Scott Brady and one of the sponsors should present him with a winch for his 'cruiser...

:) just a suggestion.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Not to diminish that epic trip report, but it shouldn't be a suprise that the thread has so many hits. The power of the internet is pretty amazing. Cross posting the story to jalopnik.com and other places is the expo version of a superbowl commercial. Sure, there is a spike in membership and viewing, but that doesn't add to the quality of community, as I imagine the majority of these new members joined just to read the thread and will disappear. It's a clever way to boost circulation/membership statistics for whatever purpose.

This clearly illustrates the shift in focus from a community of travelers to a traffic generating/advertising venue that so many complain about. Stunts like this have the potential to destroy an online community, but it can be good for business. Has Expo just jumped the shark?:coffee:

er, um...who cares...:D

...give'em a winch!!!

Explorer
. This clearly illustrates the shift in focus from a community of travelers to a traffic generating/advertising venue that so many complain about. Stunts like this have the potential to destroy an online community, but it can be good for business. Has Expo just jumped the shark?:coffee:

I would think focus was forced to change once the founding members chose to make a living off of expo this and expo that :) Its too bad the place lost its home grown atmosphere to all the advertising and passerby's, but it also freed up time and helped fund all the things that they have brought to us. (Like the overland Journal, Expo, Etc.) Not to mention all the new members that offer all kinds of new ideas and venues. I think its all a necessary evil of growth, I don't feel like I have been sold out at all.

I'm not sure if this place is what the creators had in mind from the start, or if they would do it differently today, but I'm sure impressed with what has been accomplished. In fact, I'm shocked every time I see a photo of Scott Brady, It makes me think, "if that goofy looking guy can fulfill his dreams, so can I".

If anyone has been exposed with the Congo thread, its all of us armchair quarterbacks that thought we were hardcore because we can plan or build things hardcore. The reality is that most of us need to put up or shut up, myself included.

AFSOC

Explorer
Not to diminish that epic trip report, but it shouldn't be a suprise that the thread has so many hits. The power of the internet is pretty amazing. Cross posting the story to jalopnik.com and other places is the expo version of a superbowl commercial. Sure, there is a spike in membership and viewing, but that doesn't add to the quality of community, as I imagine the majority of these new members joined just to read the thread and will disappear. It's a clever way to boost circulation/membership statistics for whatever purpose.

This clearly illustrates the shift in focus from a community of travelers to a traffic generating/advertising venue that so many complain about. Stunts like this have the potential to destroy an online community, but it can be good for business. Has Expo just jumped the shark?:coffee:

Astute observations. I agree with most of it but disagree on one minor point. I contend the focus of Expedition Portal has not changed. It still, as it always has, offers users a community meeting place for people whose interests are centered on remote vehicular travel.

What I think you're just now recognizing is that ExPo has always been a marketing tool. The forum was always carefully and thoughtfully crafted and moderated to cater to a specific demographic and foster lucrative professional associations. The business side of ExPo is remarkable and a great case study for anyone interested in internet marketing or branding. Look at how many businesses and ventures owe their success to associations with ExPo. It is easy to attribute much of the successes of a periodical, a self accredited training business, an annual Expo and recently, regional rallies to Expedition Portal's formidable marketing power. There are many businesses outside of the Portal ownership that can attribute their growth or inception to ExPo marketing too. Just look at the list of forum sponsors and think back five years, how many of them have boomed in sales and expanded product lines? How many of them have been start ups catering to a niche market in the worst economic conditions any of us can remember?

I do feel it has always been "about the numbers", but ExPo has also always offered us something to come back for. I don't think that part has changed. I know that many of the "ExPo Oldtimers" have moved on and many of the Old Guard are sometimes disgruntled by the change in vibe here but ExPo's success is judged by the numbers. The diminished satisfaction is our individual judgement.

Momrocks

Adventurer
I'm not sure if this place is what the creators had in mind from the start, or if they would do it differently today, but I'm sure impressed with what has been accomplished. .

No, I am sure it isn't what the creators had in mind from the start...it has exceeded even the grandest expectations by leaps and bounds. At the beginning ExPo was probably thought to be a good venue to gain credability for the EW Guide business and maybe some free swag to test. But look at it now!

`

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member

Here we go again.

Jeff,

I rarely answer to this argument but I will make an exception because your point is well articulated and I appreciate this.

I spend countless hours of my time working on the portal. I am truly attached to it and I am passionate about overland travel as much as anyone here. I am doing things everyday that I am hoping will benefit everyone - the vendors, the members, the travelers.

I don't get any salary out of it. I can assure you that the entire team is truly dedicated to our community and that all of us could make a much better living working for a large corporation.

Do you have any idea how many hours F&J put on their trip report? They have not been paid for any of that, except for 2 stickers I sent them.

To be able to provide them with one million of views is my reward to them. It is truly an epic trip report and they deserve the exposure.

Do you know how difficult it is to motivate people to help us without paying them? Try giving me just one hour of your time per day for free - I would be really happy. I have a backlog of tasks that can keep me busy for the entire next year.

Yes there has been some changes and expect some more coming.

But at the end of the day, the main reason why we do this is because we love everything about Overlanding and Expedition - that won't change.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Well said, Christian.

I for one, appreciate your efforts and the efforts of everyone who takes the time to make this forum a more interesting place. You have my gratitude.

Trip reports are my favorite part of the site. No doubt Frederik spent a lot of time making this trip report. His efforts have inspired me and countless others. To give the trip report to us without any expectations of personal gain is a gift which has earned my admiration.

... and that's all I have to say about that...

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Well said, Christian.

I for one, appreciate your efforts and the efforts of everyone who takes the time to make this forum a more interesting place. You have my gratitude.

Trip reports are my favorite part of the site. No doubt Frederik spent a lot of time making this trip report. His efforts have inspired me and countless others. To give the trip report to us without any expectations of personal gain is a gift which has earned my admiration.

... and that's all I have to say about that...

Well said Mike.

Heavy Metal

I know I'm new, but I actually ignored the thread until last night since I don't really have much interest in Africa or travel there.

Well, I spent 3 hours last night reading every word and was riveted to my computer desk. I drank 7 beers without even realizing it! I was even dreaming about overland travel last night. There's very few things on the internet that can grip me like this story, and a million thanks to Frederik and Josephine for taking the time to tell of their amazing adventure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven