Expedition-Ready M416 Trailer - NorCal

djsixbillion

Adventurer
1966 Johnson Furnace M416 trailer, restored and highly modified

Most of the work on this was completed by the previous owner, and he did a fantastic job in my opinion. I’ve just added a few refinements here and there that make camping VERY comfortable. We are selling to go back to a simpler RTT setup on the Land Cruiser and save for a pickup/FWC combo at some point in the future. Here are some of the highlights, I’m sure I’m missing something so feel free to ask questions:

*Frame and tub sandblasted and repainted, inside of the tub is bed-lined. It is definitely not "restoration" pretty, but there is zero rust and it is quite presentable and durable for off-road use.
*Extended tongue with 2” receiver and Max Coupler included.
*2” receiver added at the rear for bike racks, etc.
*Aircraft track installed in the tub for tie-down points.
*The trailer has a spring-over lift with new shocks and is currently riding on FZJ80 16x8 wheels with 315/75-16 Goodyear Duratrac tires that have about 10k on them. I have the original military wheels as well, but they would need new tires and a good cleanup if they were to be used.
*Autohome Overzone rooftop tent mounted on a custom rack that can be raised and lowered on gas struts and locked into position with pins. Raising/lowering can be done solo, but is easier with two people.
*Includes changing room/annex for the RTT (never actually used, just set up once in the driveway).
*20-gallon water tank securely mounted under the tub, with a Sureflo pump feeding both the sink on the left side and the Ecotemp propane water heater at the front for hot showers. There is a replaceable filter plumbed into the cold water supply side as well.
*Battery box at the front houses an Optima yellow top and a Blue Sea fuse block to which all accessories are wired and properly fused. Two 12V outlets and a shore-power hookup are available to charge the battery when 120V supply is present. The battery is also wired up to charge through the 7-pin trailer wiring plug while driving (utilizing a charge isolator to prevent current from flowing the wrong way).
*10-lb propane cylinder front-mounted.
*Slide-out kitchen with hard-mounted propane stove and plenty of stainless-steel covered counter place. Small drawer underneath the counter provides storage for utensils and such. Swing-out LED lighting over the stove area.
*Slide out awning over the kitchen/sink area with nice high-quality canvas, functional but could use some finessing.

Basically the trailer is ready to hitch up and head wherever you want to go. During my ownership it has been to Moab, Death Valley, the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, the Lost Coast and a bunch of other quick trips and has performed superbly.

Asking $6500 with the current wheels and tires, or $6000 if you bring your own. PM or email dfeher@me.com with any questions. I also have lots more pictures I can send if you want to see anything specific.

IMG_0789.JPG
IMG_0796.JPG
IMG_0823.JPG
IMG_0806.JPG
IMG_0821.JPG
IMG_0794.JPG
IMG_0819.JPG
IMG_0781.jpg

daninghram

Adventurer
I love this trailer it looks well thought out. I am building one now and have slowly picking away over the last year. More pictures would be really great. Does the tent and rack go up? How was the rack done? Good luck with the sale. I hope we can see alot more of the details of this trailer. I love the side drawers too.

djsixbillion

Adventurer
I love this trailer it looks well thought out. I am building one now and have slowly picking away over the last year. More pictures would be really great. Does the tent and rack go up? How was the rack done? Good luck with the sale. I hope we can see alot more of the details of this trailer. I love the side drawers too.

Thanks for the comments. The rack and tent do raise together, the picture below is probably the best one I have of the tent in the "up" position, which is about 18" higher than where it normally sits for transit.

View attachment 119636

This one shows a pretty good closeup of the raising mechanism - basically you pull the pin from each of the four vertical supports, loosen the knurled hand screws, then give each corner a little push upward. The gas struts help out here, and when the rack is fully raised just put the pins back in the upper set of holes and retighten the hand screws.

IMG_0804.JPG

italia

Observer
One word "AWESOME"Do you know where the axle was purchase from? and or the measurements?Long story short version.I have a 96 LC and M416 that i been working on something my late son had plan to do.So want to switch the axle to match the LC (have the rims and matching 33 BFG"S already)any info on the axle would be greatly appreciated.Thankx in advanced and some one out there is going to end out getting a really nice set up.Cheers :camping:

djsixbillion

Adventurer
One word "AWESOME"Do you know where the axle was purchase from? and or the measurements?Long story short version.I have a 96 LC and M416 that i been working on something my late son had plan to do.So want to switch the axle to match the LC (have the rims and matching 33 BFG"S already)any info on the axle would be greatly appreciated.Thankx in advanced and some one out there is going to end out getting a really nice set up.Cheers :camping:

The axle is original, with some nice aluminum 5-lug to 6-lug adapters being used to fit the Toyota bolt pattern. I'm not sure where the adapters were sourced, unfortunately. As for new axles, look at ABC trailer supply or Southwest Wheel, both have online stores with good pricing.

shmabs

Explorer
I drooled over this trailer a few weeks back near the safeway in Marin. VERY nice, well thought out and executed trailer.

Im glad you have gotten good use of this trailer. Its great to see more pictures of it out and about. Im sure the next owner will be just as happy!
GLWTS!

djsixbillion

Adventurer
Im glad you have gotten good use of this trailer. Its great to see more pictures of it out and about. Im sure the next owner will be just as happy!
GLWTS!

Hey thanks for posting up! We have absolutely enjoyed it, just moving in a different direction as they say. How are you liking the Syncro van?

Its great but 22yrs old....fixing things seems to create the "next weakest link syndrome". I have been driving my land cruiser more recently. I know the trailer will find a happy owner. It is a swiss army knife of camping luxury! With the tent, kitchen,sink, changing room and hot water heater, My wife could not say no to camping LOL! All the comforts of home out in the woods!:wings:

JKJenn

Adventurer
What a great trailer. How did you match the drawer slides/box to the trailer. was the wood frame bolted on to the tub? I would love to build a slide for my Coleman Roadtrip grill. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk