Expedition Squared build

ExplorerTom

Explorer
And while I was in this corner of the state, I really wanted to do Black Bear Pass. The mystique of this trail are the switchbacks that are stacked right on top of each other as you descend the steep mountain down into Telluride. I've watched a bunch of videos about it. I'd seen larger vehicles on it so I knew my expedition would be fine. Because it's so steep and the shelf road is so narrow, the switchbacks are downhill only.

Getting to the top of the pass was fairly easy.

The smoke from a nearby forest fire was starting to make the sky all hazy.

In all honesty, the switchbacks were easy. But there was a section just above the switchbacks that had some pucker factor. This section is narrow: jagged granite to the right, 20 foot drop to the left into a creek and loose, slippery granite to drive on. I had my dad spot me through this section.

This building perched on the cliff side is the Smugler Union Hydroelectric Powerplant. It's sits atop Bridal Veil Falls, which at 365 feet is the tallest free failing waterfall in the state.

Once in Telluride, I noticed my tire took a gash. It didn't cut a cord, but it looks like it's down to the cords. I'm getting it replaced.

The smoke was pretty bad in Telluride. Ash was actually falling from the sky and the sun was heavily obscured. We decided to get as far north as we could to escape the smoke. We ended up camping on the east side of Monarch Pass just outside of Poncha Springs.

Pretty awesome trip. The Expedition did amazing

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Had to change my front brake pads. I guess I didn't hear the squeaker.

The previous pads were EBC Orangestuff pads. These pads were great: cold bite was amazing, they didn't fade. But they were dusty. And squeaky without the brake quiet puty stuff. But it was time to try something new. I went with EBC Yellowstuff and EBC Sport slotted rotors.

Initial impression of the Yellowstuff pads is good. Cold bite is similar to the Orangestuff. Time will tell on their dust.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
the yellow stuff is a racing pad, and is exceptionally dusty. Probably their dustiest pad.

Their green stuff is slightly less aggressive in bite, but very low dust.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
According to EBC’s website, and my own experience, Greenstuff isn’t as good as either Yellow or Orange. Greenstuff cold bite is OK but heat resistance isn’t very good. Sure they have low dust, but if they don’t stop as good, what’s the point?

I’ve run legit racing pads before on a track car. Those pads (Hawk Blues) were worthless until you got some heat into them. Once they were warm, you almost needed to close your eyes when you hit the brakes to keep your eyeballs from popping out- especially when running race tires. I also ran my Greenstuffs when I forgot to pack the Blues- I had to stop at the local autopart store to get some cheap pads for the drive home after the Greens crumbled apart after the track day worth of punishment.

Both Yellow and Orange have great cold bite (very useful for that first brake application after cruising on the highway for miles, or even trying to hold position on a trail where you are crawling along and never getting heat in the brakes) and seem to have good heat resistance. I’ve punished the Orange coming down twisty canyon roads and they didn’t fade in the slightest.

I’ll stick to my dusty pads if it means they’ll reliably and repeatedly haul my big girl down from speed.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
i also run the Yellow pads on my RAM, and will keep running them. I have noticed that they start screaming when they're loaded with dust and cant clear themselves out and quiet down after they've been washed out. I guess i need slotted rotors to scrape the dust away.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Is setting up the UltraGauge to monitor trans temp pretty straight forward?

Plug it in. It’s not like the ScanGauge where you have program the X-Gauge with some crazy code. The UltraGauge you just specify that you want it when you order (depending on which vehicle you have- I think some have it already available).

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I’m a little out of date. Over the summer I added some sound deadening and heat insulation. A lot of work, but it definitely helped. It’s not a library in there, but it is easier to hold a conversation at highway speeds.

After I blew up the transfercase in my Explorer, I had to tow it home. The Expedition definitely felt it, but it towed it home. The oversized trans cooler kept temps below 190- only got that warm while climbing a long hill.
AEE95DC1-BA39-47B3-98E4-132A072910CF.jpeg

The drawers that I’ve had in my Explorer are probably one of my favorite things about it. But the Expedition sees more overnight trips and I grew tired of not having that convenience of the drawers. But I still need to keep one side open for hauling my dogs and other larger items. So I swapped in the drawer with the slider top. Love it.
80EBF981-5C12-4E15-966C-100ED2B6ADC1.jpeg

Next up was a trip with the local overlanding group Rocky Mountain Overland. There were 10 rigs. We spent out first night in the Medicine Bow National Forest in Wyoming before heading back into Colorado and going to the North Sand Hills.
54464C43-7631-4A26-846F-C535EC510D4C.jpeg
E373EC5A-80AE-43EA-8B5E-BA23B83FA658.jpeg
Driving on the sand was fun. But after about 45 minutes, I was ready to head home.

Last up was the replacement of my steering box. I got an alignment about 4-5 months ago and they said that while they got my wheels straight, the steering box had a ton of play. I decided that I wanted something better than a regular rebuilt box, so I went with a steering gear from Red Head. The difference is amazing. I had grown so accustomed to the play in the old box that now that I have a box with zero play, it seems super responsive.
8570162F-A9AC-4125-ADB2-3FE40CC1F5DC.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl

Members online