Expeditions West 2004 Tacoma

Scott Brady

Founder
It is going to be Rhino-lined (or similar), including the shower cover and fresh water inlet pieces. The lining will be heavy on the top and light on the underside. This will help protect everything, and make sure there are no rattles.

Attachments

• SUBURBAN 1.jpg
    SUBURBAN 1.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 3
  • BURBAN.jpg
    BURBAN.jpg
    497.4 KB · Views: 1

dieck

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
It is going to be Rhino-lined (or similar), including the shower cover and fresh water inlet pieces. The lining will be heavy on the top and light on the underside. This will help protect everything, and make sure there are no rattles.

Knowing how you like things bullet proof. I would strongly recommend line-x over rhino lining. It is also marketed to the military under another name and is used to blast proof building. The whole pentagon was lined with it during the post 9-11 reconstruction. I think it is called paxcon or something.

http://www.paxcon.com/ Check out the bomb test photos... WOW!

I've got it on my truck (after much research) and I have to tell you that is impervious to abuse. Amazing stuff.

I regularly carried large cisco routers in my truck. I happened to go along with one of my peers in his truck the other day. The ribs onthe bottom of his bed were smashed flat from the same routers I carry every day....

Scott Brady

Founder
The panel is off to Rhino Linings for coating.

I chose Rhino lining for its insulating and vibration dampening properties, which is a little different than the Line-X wear properties (line-X is very good stuff). I want the whole system to be very "tight" and have no rattles.

I have also ordered the water tank:

poly-fresh-water-tank.jpg

It is a polypropylene unit and measures 34x18x12 and is 30 gallons. It has one large inlet and one vent at the top and two outlets at the bottom (one to feed the hot water heater, and the other to feed the cold lines).

I have also decided to keep the drinking water as a separate system, so I will be using these very slick bags by MSR.

dromedary_bags.jpg

They are about 2.5 gallons each, and I will carry two.

The water in the rear of the truck could always be used for drinking if required, but it will not preclude me from using local water sources for washing and bathing.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Very nice set up you got going there, you have no clue the amount of jealousy I am feeling (better sleep with one eye open at the Nov gathering :hehe: ). To go back to your truck have you done any of the common "mods" such as the grey wire mod, Dif breather extension, and full time power outlet mods? If so, why or why not?

Plus with the amount of juice you got running with all your electrical how did you do your dual battery setup or do you have one in mind (other than the rolling solar pannels)?

Scott Brady

Founder
flyingwil said:
Very nice set up you got going there, you have no clue the amount of jealousy I am feeling (better sleep with one eye open at the Nov gathering :hehe: ). To go back to your truck have you done any of the common "mods" such as the grey wire mod, Dif breather extension, and full time power outlet mods? If so, why or why not?

Plus with the amount of juice you got running with all your electrical how did you do your dual battery setup or do you have one in mind (other than the rolling solar pannels)?

Yes, I have done all of the above mods. I will eventually get to writing them up :)

For the auxiliary battery, I am running a blue top Optima in the tool box, in the bed. I am also using a Sure-power unit to control charging and battery isolation. I will try to post some pics on that soon too. :jumping:

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Great idea for using Dromedary bags for water. I've been using those for about 15 years now. I have one that holds about 6 litres that I have thrashed, banged and dropped and they have never leaked. The only downside is their lack of any insulation so water gets warm in there...

Scott Brady

Founder
This goes in place of the rear only switch this weekend.
FZJ80_diff_switch.JPG

It is from an FZJ80. I have never seen this used before to control lockers in a Tacoma. It will allow me to control the factory rear electric locker and the front ARB locker in a clean, factory way...

Scott Brady

Founder
And this switch goes in too, and will replace my current (and poorly placed) switch. It provides several benefits, including showing the fuel level in the tank and having an indicator light when the pump is running. It also fits nice and clean next to the 12v outlets behind the shifter.
long_ranger_switch.JPG

Scott Brady

Founder
Well, I do research A LOT... but more importantly, I trust Toyota engineers more than myself, and I trust Australian engineers more than just about everyone else too.

I have found that nearly all of the AU overland equipment is designed to compliment and enhance a factory system, as opposed to just achieving the tallest lift, or the loudest exhaust.

I try to buy things in the following order:

Toyota OEM solution
Australian solution
South African solution

I would say the one exception is high performance parts, like desert focused suspensions for Toyota vehicles. There is a lot of talent in So Cal on that front, and my trucks ride and handling proves it.

I am really not that anal of a person, and have more of a business/marketing personality, but when it comes to vehicle modifications and fabrication I get really anal, and want it to be perfect and innovative. I want the absolute best solution, or I would prefer to leave it just the way Mr. Toyoda delivered it.

Scott Brady

Founder
FZJ80 Locker Switch, installed:

FZJ80_diff_lock.JPG

Gauges and winch controller mounted:

PS_gauges.JPG

The gauges, left to right: compressed air system PSI, exterior air temp, fridge temp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner