Experts Please Help: Best Range Rover Years?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I'm an equal opportunity sort of guy, and while I've had good success with Toyota products and am thinking about Yet Another Cruiser, I would like to know if there are Range Rovers in, say, the '95-'05 years that I should be considering.

Not to sound critical about something I don't know too much about, but I've read enough--including in these very pages--to make me wonder if the reliability of the Range Rovers has been poor enough that I'd regret the purchase. The truck would be used a few thousand miles a year to run people around in bad weather and to go on BLM and NFS roads to see the pretty trees. Nothing where we'll die if we have a breakdown, but I have plenty to do without taking on more things that need frequent repair.

So . . . is there any "sweet spot' in the model years that I should be looking at?

Thanks in advanced for the shared expertise.

Mike

ScottK

Midway through 1995 is when things got all wonky for Range Rovers. If you are looking for reliability (in the Land Rover sense of the word, which is "you can repair it easily by yourself on the side of the road"), then in my opinion that would be a 1995 Classic.

azarmadillo

Adventurer
Best model is the 1991 Hunter model as it does not have sway bars, ABS, or a sunroof. It also has manually adjustable cloth seats and a better heater/ac unit than previous years. 2nd best is 1992 base model without ABS. 3rd would be 1989, no sway bars or ABS and first year of 3.9L V8. 4th/5th would be 1988 or 1987 for the LT230 and no ABS.

michaels

Explorer
Best model is the 1991 Hunter model as it does not have sway bars, ABS, or a sunroof. It also has manually adjustable cloth seats and a better heater/ac unit than previous years. 2nd best is 1992 base model without ABS. 3rd would be 1989, no sway bars or ABS and first year of 3.9L V8. 4th/5th would be 1988 or 1987 for the LT230 and no ABS.

well "best" is relevant. i would upgrade to 24 spline stuff if offroading it, but i agree with you.

TeriAnn

Explorer
well "best" is relevant.

Yes indeed.

If I were looking for a Range Rover I would look for a 1983 model. Last of the 2 door Range Rovers & first model with a 5 speed gearbox. And they still came with wing mirrors. Beyond then they just got silly with all the plush dodads they hung on the truck in ever increasing quantity. Or if you don't mind a 4 door model, the early diesel Range Rovers are about to become legal to import into the U.S.

If in California I would likely search for a pre-1974 model just to be free of SMOG testing regulations and the DMV's need to match the engine to something listed in their computers. And you get those lovely chrome bumpers and vinyl floor covering (much easier to get clean).

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Ummm, we seem to be going backwards in time here . . .

So do I properly deduce from this that the backup-sensored, power-seated, nav-systemed, heated-steering-wheeled Range Rover of mondern vintage is a much better vehicle when owned by someone else?

david despain

Adventurer
Ummm, we seem to be going backwards in time here . . .

So do I properly deduce from this that the backup-sensored, power-seated, nav-systemed, heated-steering-wheeled Range Rover of mondern vintage is a much better vehicle when owned by someone else?

No, what we can deduce is there is no such thing as "best". what is best for one person is not the best for another. I say the best year is the whatever is the one sitting in your driveway....so for me that would be 2002.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
I am no expert but I owned a 1988 RRC. IMO despite it's 3.5 V8 it and the 1987 are preferable because of the center locking diff and overall simplicity. The RRC is IMO the best all around vehicle that Land Rover ever created, yes even better than the Defender. It is not too long and not too short, it's just right at 100 inches. It can be slept in, carries 4 in comfort and their gear if you dont load it with crap like toilets and showers. With a OME suspension upgrade it rides like a dream. It's not a perfect vehicle but it does everything well. I love my Defender 130 crew cab and will never part with it but my favorite LR to drive on and off road is the RRC.

Disco2Guy

Observer
I'm not much of an RRC guy, but I know a lot of people love the '95. The older the RRC it seems the more that'll need fixing. The tail gate is notorious for rusting out. If you can find one (not necessarily a '95) with good service records, or owned by someone who loves the Rover make you'll get one with most issues taken care of.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
RRC is the best IMO. If you can find the Hunter go that route, I love mine and it has been kept simple, they really didn't throw all the frills at it. The RRC is easy to work on and makes a great all around rig. I loved my parents P38 but it did seem to have it's share of electrical issues. I rewally don't know enough, personal experience wise, to say anything on the 2003 and newer.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Thanks to everyone who has contributed advice. It's very much appreciated and I'll be taking it all into account as I look over the possibilities.

JSQ

Adventurer
Of the years you inquired about the '03 or '04 is my personal best.
It's a hell of a truck with just a few shortcomings. It's ridiculously capably in stock form and incredibly refined at the same time. The '05 is arguably even better but I like the BMW 4.4 over the Jag. It's not to say it's better, I just like it.

All the Piece38 years are bad. Arguing among them is silly.

As far as NAS RRC's go, just reverse the below quote:

'87 or '88 best to '91 worst.

muskyman

Explorer
I love my 95 classic. The brakes are much more powerful then the early non-ABS ones and the heat and defrost is superior as well.

The hunters are nice and simple but the cloth interior is a deal breaker for me as they are almost all worn out and dirty beyound repair where as the leather in the RRC is really nice and holds up for a long time, that alone keeps me from feeling the hunter love.

Gore Ranger

Observer
I believe 1989 is the best year of Range Rover classic. I also prefer leather, and I added a non-sunroof lid and LT230 pretty easily. It does have poor heating and ac systems, but then again, mine is not a daily driver.

I am not a fan of the brown color that most of those 1991 Hunter's are, otherwise I'd probably think that was the best (after adding leather that is)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy