Experts Please Help: Best Range Rover Years?

Viggen

Just here...
So, how common are these Hunter or early models? I am trying to decide between a Disco 1 and an RRC. The Disco is a little more modern and comfy but there is just something about a nicely outfitted RRC.

rovertech

Observer
So, how common are these Hunter or early models? I am trying to decide between a Disco 1 and an RRC. The Disco is a little more modern and comfy but there is just something about a nicely outfitted RRC.

The Hunter was a '91 model and only a handful are around. The did make a base model RRC in '92 with no sunroof and no ABS. I personally prefer the ABS system but to each their own. The challenge with RRC's now is finding one someone hasn't hacked to death or neglected so long it has a mountain of work required to get to stage 0. The benefit to discovery is a much more user friendly interior and electrical system, bomb proof climate control (mostly :) ) and relatively problem free ABS. Parts availability is better for D1 as well. If you could find a clean hunter or base model RRC it would great, just harder to find.

Regarding the '05 it is a hybrid of BMW and Jaguar. The drivetrain is BMW and most of the body electrics are Denso like the Jags. It is a good year with some of the best of both worlds. This may make it more of headache down the road sourcing parts but time will tell. From what I understand TaTa is going to stop supporting Rover products over 10 years old. I personally prefer the feel of the BMW V8 vs the Jag AJV8 in the L322.

ini88

Adventurer
05 MKIII or Classic. Stay away from P38 headaches.

05 is nice because it still has the BMW like the 03 and 04, but with a newer nav system. I hear the Jag engine and 6 speed box is nice and smoother, but I would rather trust the 7 series beemer engine. I feel a Brit with a German is better than two Brits in bed :)

The classic varies between years. I am about to get a 95 because I like the interior. Some hate it, some like it, but its a hell of a lot nicer than my Defender. But in the end the Classic is easier to work on and fix opposed to the MKIII models.

rover4x4

Adventurer
A Hunter or one of the base 92's less is more. I see very few Range Rover interiors that aren't shot.

RoverDude

Explorer
95 LWB
4.2 motor: Added power to anemic 3.9 & 3.5
LWB: Added space in back seat footwell
Remove the back seats for outings and you can put...
Freezer fridge behind front seat
Same size cooler for can beer behind other seat
Load up with gear and go
Here's my set up....LINK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy