ExPo Project: 1991 Land Cruiser Prado SX (LJ78)

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I like the hidden stereo. Good thing to do if traveling in somewhat sketchy places but you want some good music. Logging this one for the future! ;)

BTW, the mini-truck is to light duty for a serious overland truck. A light overland truck, it is great. But exceed GVW and you will regret it. This should apply to any truck being built for overland use. If you are going to exceed GVW, you best have a frame that can handle it. After that it is simply a matter of building it with the right stuff, ie engine, trans, t-case, diffs, suspension, brakes rated for the weight you will be running at. Since a truck like a 1/4ton Toyota doesn't have the frame to start with that can handle 6,000+lbs it is a poor choice to start with even if very popular for the ExPo crowd. All the components of the truck are also lacking if you get to heavy. It will take it, as I have proven (as did Scott) but for how long!? I really do not know but I suspect the Prado is also a "light duty" truck. And as such should be used that way. Exceed GVW without major mods and it will seriously strain the truck and shorten its life. Much more so that a lot of other mods like a big turbo. When it comes down to it, GVW should be the foundation that any overland truck is built off of. Plan to exceed factory GVW, you best make sure the truck is up to the task. The mini-truck is not one of these up to the task of an exceeded GVW, in particular N. America versions, aka non-Hilux.

Apologies for the hijack, I just am constantly reading about builds and opinions that forgot all about GVW along the way and what it means to your truck in the end. Sure you can load a 3,000lbs of live beef into the back of your Tacoma. But who would want to and who would think that is a good idea!?

Cheers

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
If I've done the math right, the Prado has about a 400 kg payload. That assumes you've pulled the third-row seats, and replaced them with a 40L fridge and slide, and replaced the stock front bumper with an ARB bumper with a Warn 9.5 and synthetic line.

2 Jerry cans (1x fuel, 1x water) = 80kg.

2 Adults (m+f) = 160 kg

Food for a week = 30kg (includes Tequila, but not beer)

Camping stuff (Tent, stove, pads, chairs, sleeping bags, etc) = 30kg

Personal gear (Jackets, boots, shaving kit, ipad, misc.) = 30 kg

Recovery gear and a small tool kit = 40kg

Adds up to about 370 kg. Just under the max payload.

So it's doable, but I agree it's a bit tight. It would be nice to have additional reserve capacity.

But that said, our friends Anna and Paulo have spent the last 13 years driving around the world in a little Mitsubishi 4WD van with probably a similar GVW. They like the fact that it forces them to travel light, so they are not tempted to accumulate "stuff".

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Early trucks and 4Runner were true ROW Hiluxes and are VERY much up to the task (Scotts LJ frame is a very tough unit as it was still very much a 70-series frame just with "mini truck" running gear for the most part) and the build quality and running gear of my 1989 4Runner blows most 1989 Domestic F/S trucks out of the water. Modern N. American Toyotas (excluding the Tundra)??? Yeah not a good idea, but older "real" Hiluxes... more then up to the task and I've proven it many times. No I'm not suggesting you tow a 20ft single axle all-steel Dump trailer w/4yds of 3/4- gravel from the hitch of a 2nd gen P/U without modifications, but built right, the chassis is more then up to the task.

Cheers

Dave

Douglas S.

Adventurer
Early trucks and 4Runner were true ROW Hiluxes and are VERY much up to the task (Scotts LJ frame is a very tough unit as it was still very much a 70-series frame just with "mini truck" running gear for the most part) and the build quality and running gear of my 1989 4Runner blows most 1989 Domestic F/S trucks out of the water. Modern N. American Toyotas (excluding the Tundra)??? Yeah not a good idea, but older "real" Hiluxes... more then up to the task and I've proven it many times. No I'm not suggesting you tow a 20ft single axle all-steel Dump trailer w/4yds of 3/4- gravel from the hitch of a 2nd gen P/U without modifications, but built right, the chassis is more then up to the task.

Cheers

Dave

2LTE powered Prado's have more head issues than Surfs just due to the extra weight in the platform. Adding additional weight on top of that is asking for trouble.

Scott Brady

Founder
The Land Cruiser is still running perfect and is a pleasure to travel in. We just watch the temps and she continues to soldier on. We have done nearly 30,000 kms with her since purchased. Not a single failure. . .

Some of you will enjoy the images from our recent trip to Utah and CruiserFest

FrontRunner_Adventure19.jpg

Stephanie at the wheel. She picked up the RHD manual quickly.

FrontRunner_Adventure27.jpg

Exploring near the Grand Canyon

FrontRunner_Adventure18.jpg

Valley of the Gods

The complete trip report:

fuzcao

Hey Scott, really nice build!
I really liked it! and it's so impressive for me, that i wanted to do a similar build....

I'm from Asunción, Paraguay - South America. And i have, obiously, the same Toyota Land Cruiser Prado SX, but from 1994.

And this is what it's becoming.

21rl.jpg

JSQ

Adventurer
The Prado is now in my care and living a new life. Spending most of it's time South of the Border...

photo 1.jpg

1380006_10152094047134063_944162013_n.jpg

Last edited:

JSQ

Adventurer
In addition to spending more time in the third world, the Prado is getting some of the upgrades it's been needing.

aisin.jpg

Rather than running the Radd adapter for the AISIN replacements, I elected to install new FJ80 outer hubs for a near-factory set-up.

I had planned the manual hubs as an upgrade but as it turned out one of the automatic units has already broken. What a ridiculous design.

broken hub.jpg

Additionally, the truck got some much needed love in the form of a birfield rebuild, rear main seal, clutch, pressure plate, timing cover reseal, timing belt and water pump.

fuzcao

JSQ .. i had some problem with my automatic hub .. it was not locking anymore, and i think that the activation to the 4wd it's not working right now... so.. i was thinking to change to the manual kit hub lock... and manual activation... did you do that?

JSQ

Adventurer
Si, yo tenia planes para cambiarselos para que sean mas seguros. Los ejes automaticos son muy debiles y muchas personas han sufrido fracasos al momento critico.
En este caso cuando empezemos a hacer la conversion descubrimos que uno de los ejes automaticos ya estuvo roto todavia.
Los ejes manuales son mas fuerte y sencillos y la mayoria de personas con experiencia se recomienden. Para hacer la conversion tengas que cambiar algunas partes del huso y eje del modelo FJ80. O de otra manera puede ud. usar el adaptador hecho por Radd en Canada.

Scott Brady

Founder
Nice work Jack. Thanks for the update. I look forward to hearing how the fuel pump adjustments and new exhaust/intercooler help things along. Also glad to see the truck used as it should, not sitting on the rocks in front of the shop!

attachment.php

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
So was it sold or on loan or ???
Just curious so we know about who to direct questions to...and curious about if sold why and if loaned, well how do I sign up to borrow something this cool :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues