ExPo's 2000 7.3 Excursion Build

RPhil

Adventurer
I bought mine from sinister diesel and then had it painted at maaco. The gril was just over 100 i think and the paint job cost 75. It does come in black so you dont HAVE to paint it

Great- thanks.

I was going to go with black, but your picture has me reconsidering.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
So good news, the suspension came in and is being installed! Please forgive the interior, in the process of finishing it out.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Oh so side note for those who are looking to upgrade their suspension. The rear shocks have an interesting surprise. The top mount for the rear shocks in an f250 is simply a normal bolt through a bushing, however the excursion utilizes a bar pin. We didnt realize this until the truck was up on the lift and already in process. Some shocks (like ranchos I believe) will have the new bar pins already in place, but old man emu, icon, etc require you to purchase them separately. These things are impossible to find, and must be ordered online. we are going to cut the one from our old shocks as a solution for now.

You can find them at the following links.
https://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=13517
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sja-bp4/applications/?ibanner=SREPD2

toyick

I build Boat Anchors
Old Man Emu everything. Springs, shocks, and pan hard rod :)

let me know what you think of them! i have been debating on an upgrade from my crappy lift springs that ride like a pogo stick.. i have debated the icon springs but cant pull the trigger..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

back woods

Observer
Cool build. I've got the same year truck in red, they are awesome. IMO 2000 was the best year because your chances of getting a forged rod motor is 10x greater. Running 285/75 Cooper St Maxx and a 4" turbo back, love it. Can't beat the amount of room they have. I like the grill swap, was thinking the same.

elpoffroad

Adventurer
Did you get the suspension already installed? Pictures my man lol I want to hear how the OME suspension rides and what the price range is so I know how much to save up for.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Did you get the suspension already installed? Pictures my man lol I want to hear how the OME suspension rides and what the price range is so I know how much to save up for.

So I got the suspension installed and holy crap what a difference! Rides so much better now. I'll get a good photo soon and post it up.

Fjryan

You mentioned in an earlier post that you don't drive fast enough for an ICON lift. How did you get that info? Is that just talking to the manufacturers or is there a good place to find reviews on that kind of equipment. And just how fast are you talking?

toyick

I build Boat Anchors
You mentioned in an earlier post that you don't drive fast enough for an ICON lift. How did you get that info? Is that just talking to the manufacturers or is there a good place to find reviews on that kind of equipment. And just how fast are you talking?

icon and dust lights go hand in hand... haha jkjk

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader

I've driven the XOverland Icon trucks briefly (just over 100 miles) and a 200 series equipped with BP-51s at length. (six weeks and thousands of miles) While both suspensions are fantastic at high and low speeds, I didn't feel like their performance at lower speeds justified their expense. Specifying a speed and terrain is difficult but I will try. For example lets say I was on a road with a fair bit of light rocks and pot holes. On a stock suspension I may feel comfortable doing ten mph. On a standard OME setup I could push that to 15 or 20 and not increase the jarring of the vehicle. Depending on the specific situation, the ICON suspension would most likely allow me to double that, but I wouldn't feel the need to do so, therefor the extra capability is kind of wasted on me. This is especially true of the Excursion, which is a large vehicle and doesnt favor high speeds. Given that the Icon kit is probably 2500 more than my OME kit, I'd be spending significantly more money for capabilities I wasnt using. Sort of like buying a Ferrari when you don't enjoy driving fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism